All of a sudden: Got the shakes to purchase a VW Passat W8

lip

Car(s)
Renault Twizy
As I do about once a month, I was aimlessly browsing Autoscout today to look what sort of cheap used wafter I should buy when I throw away my current banger in about a year...

My usual criterias:
- Must load two bicycles with ease, so no stupid saloon shape
- Can have 3 or 5 doors, don't care
- 200hp+
- FWD or AWD
- Automatic
- Don't care much about MPG or L/100km as petrol is cheap(ish) in Switzerland.

... and as mentioned in the title I just stumbled over some ads for the VW Passat W8: There's about 10 of them for sale currently in CH. From pure shed to decent connoisseur state, and from dead cheap to overpriced. So it will be one in the middle of all that.

Yes it's heavy, yes it probably drinks too much, yes it's not as fast as the 275hp number would suggest, but I just fell in love with that soundtrack and the overall understated sillyness of it. A rare roary wafter that looks like any other generic old VW. I quite like that.

Example pics:
https://imagizer.imageshack.**/v2/1257x838q90/132/jqav.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.**/v2/1257x838q90/809/tr23.jpg

Has anyone owned one or has anyone had any experience with the W8?

DO IT!!!!

DO IT!!!!

There are quite a few interesting cars owned by FG members, but nobody has bought a crazy W8 engine.

If you can pick one up for little monies that runs well, looks like it has been maintaned and with a safety inspection ticket, then do it.

A nice looking car too.

:smile:

Love it, I was thinking about buying one used when fuel wasn't as expensive as today. The sound is just glorious.

Wow. I'm too am quite partial to inconspicuous barges with good singing pipes (dare I say from personal experience?). SO DO IT.

Yes.

It has to be said, for only a bit more cash I could buy a decent fresh-off-inspection 340hp Audi S6 Avant. - But still, even with that fact I can't get the W8 out of my head.

^ A 30'000 Euro fancy Alpina!? From 2009!? - That's like... a brand new car. :D

You're talking to a banger man here.

^ A 30'000 Euro fancy Alpina!? From 2009!? - That's like... a brand new car. :D

You're talking to a banger man here.

I looked for an older and cheaper AWD Alpina Touring, but came up empty.

I have no idea about the reliability or maintenance costs of the W8, but if you do and it's not a financial barrier, then fuckin' do it!!!!

It has to be said, for only a bit more cash I could buy a decent fresh-off-inspection 340hp Audi S6 Avant. - But still, even with that fact I can't get the W8 out of my head.

.. or, what about going full mental and looking out for a W12 VW Phaeton!
(After all is just a slightly bigger Passat.)

What do they cost in Switzerland?

:think: