Ownership Verified: All roads lead to Volvo - 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'95 Volvo 850 Turbo
I hope the mod that approves this is glücklich.

photo_2022-06-02_22-33-12.jpg

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
Sooooooooooo.

Tuesday, I did the IT method and unplugged, replugged the EGR solenoid plug, cleared the code and have driven about 40-50 miles since I cleared the code. So far no CEL anymore. yay.

Known as a norwegian reset.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'95 Volvo 850 Turbo
Alright, driving it as normal and I had the CEL come back once with the same "fuel rich" code. I suspect the crimp connectors might not be making the best connection, I reset it back on Monday again and it's been clear since. I also did an oil change in theory to maybe clear out any fuel in the oil that might cause the rich code. Managed to dump half the drained oil onto the floor because I thought I had the pan lined up while I threw the old oil filter away. Oil filter is super easy to get to, almost like a small block chevy, except the filter is in front, and the drain plug is on the back.

Bit of a worry though, no metric wrench fit the drain plug. I needed an 11/16th's which even then wasn't "Happy" so to speak as there was still play. Less than the metric wrenches I tried, but play nonetheless. It still seals so whatever.

Hok

Car(s)
VW Passat GT V6 -09
Alright, driving it as normal and I had the CEL come back once with the same "fuel rich" code. I suspect the crimp connectors might not be making the best connection, I reset it back on Monday again and it's been clear since. I also did an oil change in theory to maybe clear out any fuel in the oil that might cause the rich code. Managed to dump half the drained oil onto the floor because I thought I had the pan lined up while I threw the old oil filter away. Oil filter is super easy to get to, almost like a small block chevy, except the filter is in front, and the drain plug is on the back.

Bit of a worry though, no metric wrench fit the drain plug. I needed an 11/16th's which even then wasn't "Happy" so to speak as there was still play. Less than the metric wrenches I tried, but play nonetheless. It still seals so whatever.

Did you try a 17 mm wrench? Which is slightly smaller than an 11/16th's.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
Unless someone has swapped it for a local fastener I'd be 99% sure it should be a metric size on a Ovlov of this age.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
M18x1,5 with a 17mm head.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'95 Volvo 850 Turbo
Since purchase the pushed in grille has been bugging me. Found another on ebay and it arrived this afternoon. A completely tool-less install of some slide clips means it was slower to remove from the packaging than it was to install it. Oh well, it's in and looks less like this car was driven by a novice.

SO MUCH TAPE

photo_2022-07-05_17-17-26.jpg

photo_2022-07-05_17-09-49.jpg
photo_2022-07-05_17-09-48.jpg
photo_2022-07-05_17-09-50.jpg

The drivers side headlight lens is on the list as well and I have headlight wipers coming because I broke one a week after I bought the car. I wanted to see the headlight wipers work as I've never seen a Volvo use them. Then I learned why as the motors fail over time. So the drivers side one that I did plug in got stuck in the halfway up position and I tired to force it down. 27 year old plastic subjected to sunlight does not fair well so it broke in my hand. So I took the other one off, but broke it in the process. So new ones are coming purely for aesthetic and hopeful "complete" resale value. I don't know, it sounded better in my head.

Last edited: