All things crispy and crunchy

^Took the pressed potato sweepings right out of my mouth.

Just found Salt&Vinegar chips at the supermarket. Immidiately bought two bags, not the most common flavour around here. But they're soo good.

I went to Whole Foods and found this imported US gem:

http://desmond.imageshack.**/Himg641/scaled.php?server=641&filename=hotheadzcrispshot.jpg&res=landing

They made me cry.

Not crunchy, but that reminds me of some jerky I bought a week or two ago. the top warning on this red bags says "Caution: Prepare for pain."
DareJerky.jpg

I'll admit...it's pretty hot...like hot enough that I don't eat much of it and I have a feeling if I did, I wouldn't feel so good after...but not so hot that I'm going to throw it away.

I haven't had this in about 12 years.

roysters_tbone_steak_2.jpg

The vending machine at work had them, 60p for about 11 crisps in a bag isn't great. But they're still pretty good.

Doritos, why not... made this Guacamole the other day for grandma, she had never tried it.

283618_10151316767473228_1952135339_n.jpg

Recently they sell these here and they are quite good, though a bit country-style, if you know what I mean:

7755500722_8e3d7a5a17_o.jpg

As my first name is Devon, I'm side-eying those a bit now... >_>

:p

Never understood the need to add 'artificial' flavours or spices to 'proper', 'natural' chips. If the raw material is really good, just cooking it in olive oil and adding salt in the needed quantities will do, anything else just will worsen the product imho.

Never understood the need to add 'artificial' flavours or spices to 'proper', 'natural' chips. If the raw material is really good, just cooking it in olive oil and adding salt in the needed quantities will do, anything else just will worsen the product imho.

You don't deep fry potato crisps in olive oil.

I'm not a fan of potato chips/crisps fried in olive oil. I MUCH prefer peanut oil.

Some of the olive oil brands are good but I think other oils do better. I can't have peanut oil but from my experience canola oil is pretty great. it's what they use for these incredible chips:

CAPE+COD+KEN+TUCCIO+1.png

Olive oil can't withstand as high temperatures as sunflower oil, so the crisps won't be as crispy. The ones I've had have been very thin and brittle, not too crisp.

That depends very much on the exact oils used. The extra virgin olive oils we (or at least I) tend to think of for olive oil have a low smoke point. But the less delicate olive oils have a higher smoke point and can thus can take more heat. Similarly, an unrefined, flavorful sunflower oil has a lower smoke point, while a refined sunflower oil has a higher smoke point. I'd imagine there are olive oils that'll fry chips/crisps well, but we tend to see peanut oil, canola oil, and similar, just because it's more available (and when more refined, the subtle differences in the oils are less apparent).

That depends very much on the exact oils used. The extra virgin olive oils we (or at least I) tend to think of for olive oil have a low smoke point. But the less delicate olive oils have a higher smoke point and can thus can take more heat. Similarly, an unrefined, flavorful sunflower oil has a lower smoke point, while a refined sunflower oil has a higher smoke point. I'd imagine there are olive oils that'll fry chips/crisps well, but we tend to see peanut oil, canola oil, and similar, just because it's more available (and when more refined, the subtle differences in the oils are less apparent).

2I2H5.jpg

From Modernist Cuisine. </discussion> :p