Alpine Meet 2016

This bump reminds me, Beni might have some work issues, so it's not certain he can make it. :(

I was checking some options in the area and if we get like 6-7 people there's an option for an apartment for ~20eur/person/night. Since bigger groups are harder to accommodate, I thought it would be better to book that place for the weekend, whether or not Beni can make it. Rest of the week should be easier to arrange on the go, if needed. I can handle booking arrangements, if we get enough confirmed people.

So, could everyone who is definitely joining send me a PM (apart from the lone wolf lip :p ), so I know how many people there are and have a list of people to contact later. So far I know me and eizbaer are confirmed to head there at least.

I need to come clean, I've been thinking about skipping it this time. Apart from the unclear situation with getting off work in February, I would really like to save some money to take the bike license in the spring. And judging by last year's expenses, this trip would cover a pretty large portion of it. Plus there is a high chance I'll be doing a skiing trip with a few other friends anyway, and I don't want to skip that one.

That said, it's not completely unlike me to jump in at the last moment, so will see in a month or two :p

The "big decision" thing at work is being dragged out, should be decided soon but looks like I can't take holidays in February...so don't wait for me with anything.

If Beni jumps out, wouldn't it make more sense to move the general location more to the north (Austria, like last year) to reduce the travel time for all? People could fly in to Munich, or even better: Innsbruck.

Anyway, as long as the Alpine Meet happens in the Alps, I will be there. :D

Since everybody's posting, I can announce my withdrawal from the meet.
Let's say there's a 98% chance that I won't be able to make it. I'll leave 2% for good luck :D

Thing is, I don't think I can manage it financially, since we have previos plans we want to do, and I'm planning on attending Ringmeet.
Combined with our other plans and who knows what else could come up, I can't stretch my budget that much. Oh well, the Alps aren't going anywhere :)

If Beni jumps out, wouldn't it make more sense to move the general location more to the north (Austria, like last year) to reduce the travel time for all? People could fly in to Munich, or even better: Innsbruck.

that would work for me, yes :)

Also, Ivan: :(

Austria would potentially work for me too but it's really tricky to commit right now. My current job will end on Jan 31st and while I will have a bit of a cushion if I don't have a new post by then it would be foolhardy to go spending money when I don't know right now where the next pay check might be coming from.

I'm gutted because I was really hoping to make it this time after my participation this year was scuppered by my divorce and I am desperate to get back on the slopes again. I'll check the books and see if a long weekend is feasible at least.

The "big decision" thing at work is being dragged out, should be decided soon but looks like I can't take holidays in February...so don't wait for me with anything.

Bugger :( Well, hope the big decision - whatever it might be - is decided in your favour.

As for our participation: if the meet is moved to Austria, we're probably out because of higher prices of accommodation, ski passes and equipment rental.

There's also a chance we'll be joining my dad's winter holiday trip instead, he's planning something for the first week in March.

And finally, there's a chance we're going nowhere because we want to save money... so all in all we're now in the "maybe" group. But I'll be watching this space.

Anyway, as long as the Alpine Meet happens in the Alps, I will be there. :D

Well, Innsbruck especially will be on the way for most people driving to the meet anyway. But I wanted to go to Italy, because I've only been there once in the winter, all my other snowboarding trips have been to Austria. It's not like it's bad, but I like checking new places. Also, I'm still hoping for Beni to make it so we could go with the original plan for rest of the week. :)

Bugger :( Well, hope the big decision - whatever it might be - is decided in your favour.

As for our participation: if the meet is moved to Austria, we're probably out because of higher prices of accommodation, ski passes and equipment rental.

Well, I had more trouble finding comparably cheap prices in Italy actually. At best we got a 3 room apartment for 40eur/night in Austria. Not a bad deal for two people. :) And ski pass prices seem to be within few euros on most resorts, regardless of country.

Austria would potentially work for me too but it's really tricky to commit right now. My current job will end on Jan 31st and while I will have a bit of a cushion if I don't have a new post by then it would be foolhardy to go spending money when I don't know right now where the next pay check might be coming from.

I'm gutted because I was really hoping to make it this time after my participation this year was scuppered by my divorce and I am desperate to get back on the slopes again. I'll check the books and see if a long weekend is feasible at least.

Since you were struggling with the budget from the start, I sort of assumed you were planning for the weekend trip.. But yeah, seeing how the plans are going now I'm searching flights for Friday-Saturday trip. I'll be booking the flights this weekend.

Last edited:
But yeah, seeing how the plans are going now I'm searching flights for Friday-Saturday trip. I'll be booking the flights this weekend.

Well, I did meet the mentioned criteria. Only that there was a slight issue with dates. It seems that the planned dates were the worst possible week for flights (for me at least). So after a quick check with eizbaer, Beni and Leviathan I got flights for 26.2-5.3. So while the week schedule is the same, dates are one week forward.

Therefore, possible weekend visitors should aim for 26.-29.2.

Sorry about the schedule change without warning, but with flights at around 550e for the original weekend, that wasn't going to happen on my budget.. :? And with flight prices being as unstable as they are I wanted to book something before I lose all options.

The original plan was Munich, but I'm flying to Frankfurt now. Those two airports were the options more or less on the way for eizbaer. While there were more or less affordable flights to Munich for this week, the schedules didn't work at all.

Time to update all info channels. I ran out of money a bit and the planning momentum went at the same time. Because of that we lost a good deal on a 6 person apartment, which would've been great for potential last minute people.

We now have a reservation in a 4 person apartment for me, eizbaer and Leviathan in Fontanazzo. So one extra spot still, if someone can/will decide to join in at the last minute.

Reactions: lip
Ha, missed something essential. The place is booked from Friday to Monday. We should be arriving later in the afternoon on Friday and Max and I will be staying somewhere around the Alps after that as well, so should be 3 full skiing days with that schedule.

Ok, according to this info I will be there at Friday evening (or early Saturday morning at the latest) and will stay until Monday evening.
Could stay for another day after that too, but I think three consecutive days on the piste are quite enough. ;)
Probably going to bunk in the Golden Park Resort Hotel (what a name :lol: ) in Fontanazzo.

Been on the slopes for the weekend (in St. Anton, Austria), and let's hope the weather will be the same awesomeness during Alpine Meet as it was yesterday:

2016-01-25_Mo_-_Skifahren_St._Anton_am_Arlberg__12_.JPG

2016-01-25_Mo_-_Skifahren_St._Anton_am_Arlberg__9_.JPG

2016-01-25_Mo_-_Skifahren_St._Anton_am_Arlberg__32_.JPG

Based on less bumpy slopes I assume it was colder than last year..? :)

edit: And looking at last years photos, I assume you had a bit less obstructed view this time, from the "scenic" lift?
IMAG0318.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, was quite warm actually, no wind at all too. I drove without a coat, gloves or cap. It's just that on a Monday during non-holiday time there aren't as many people around to turn every piste into a mogul field before midday. :lol:

Booked second accomodation from 29.2. - 5.3. in Umhausen. We should be able to reach S?lden (20min, main target), Pitztal (40min) and some other smaller places from there easily. It's a two room apartment, so with me and Mikko the only scheduled guests, there should be room for more people... any takers? :D