Alpine meet 2017

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
Time to consider some skiing/snowboarding again. :D Planning has been going on in the background, so this time there's just a ready plan to announce, if you have a possibility to take part. :)

Just like last year, there is a weekend for those who don't have time for a longer trip and I'll probably stay a bit longer. Anyway, planned weekend is in early March, 9.-13.3. We're aiming for Oberinntal this time, having a booking near Swiss border, in Spiss, Austria.

As always colour me keen. Just need the funds but put me down for now.

As always I will turn up almost surely, even if it's only for a day or two. And as usual I don't care about the actual skiing place, so plan ahead as you wish.

The usual setup, two big areas, some small places and a glacier nearby, so depending on weather plenty of options close enough. :)

Last edited:
So is Innsbruck still my best airport and would I be able to grab a lift from someone from there please?

Being an hour away from our spot, sure. Not that bad a detour even if the flight schedule doesn't match with other travel plans.

I'm looking into flights currently. DaBoom have you sorted out dates yet? I may come for a couple of extra days just to get the most out of the flight cost etc. would like to be able to spread the cost over a few months so it makes sense to get the flight booked earlier rather than later.

I haven't booked any flights yet, no. The apartment in Spiss is booked from Thursday to Monday though and I'm planning on staying longer as well, most likely up to Saturday (11.3.). Just in a smaller apartment somewhere.

Any chance of getting some firm details nailed down? Flight prices are only going to go in one direction and I would like to get at least that part booked to spread the cost.

I've started my ski exercises already. I was carving in the Post Office queue earlier while waiting to submit my passport renewal.

Who else bar DaBoom and lip are in thus far?

Beni +1 for the weekend. No one else but me staying for longer than that, I think.

And what details need firming? We'll be heading to the apartment on Thursday afternoon/evening and Beni and lip will be heading back home on Monday. I'll be staying around there up until next Saturday, but haven't booked any accommodation for those extra days, as I'm still scouting if I'll get company or shall I just book something for myself.

OK cool. I may stay a day or two longer. I'll check flights this evening.

Just browsing flights - right now I can book with easyjet Gatwick to Innsbruck for ?114 return including hold luggage, arriving Thurs 9.3.17 at 14.40 and departing Tuesday 14.3.17 at 15.10 (could maybe squeeze in a last morning on the slopes!)

How does that fit with everyone else's plans?

You might need to wait a few hours on Thursday, as I doubt Lip is on the move on Thursday yet and I assume we'll be there further in the afternoon. Otherwise it should work just fine. :)

Well it's easyjet there is always the possibility of a delay and I can bring a book and the iPad etc to keep me occupied.

Flight is booked as per the details above. Just let me know what the accommodation costs are, who to pay and how much I am going to be raped for lift passes.

I was thinking about asking lip if he has any old skis and poles I could use but since he is probably leaving a day before me that may not work. Meh, they aren't that much to hire anyway.

Can't bloody wait divorce and job hunt have scuppered my plans the last two years. It's going to be soooo good to get back on the slopes again. Hopefully I haven't forgotten too much!

So we are less than two weeks away... Do we have any firm plans/details?

Apart from almost everything that was settled in November/December..? :p It's a holiday, I'm not keen on planning to a minute what I'll do. Just move to the booked spot, pick a best direction weather-wise in the morning and hit the slopes? :cool:

That said, we could start from Austrian side, be it Nauders or Fiss-Ladis, as I was planning on renting skis for a day or two. And I assume everything will be significantly cheaper compared to the Swiss option. :lol:

I meant the basics. Does the accommodation have cooking/hot drinks making facilities so we can make coffee/breakfast before we go out? I'm happy to go with the flow when it comes to each day but it would be good to have more of an idea of what is available etc.

According to the internet the appartments have a kitchenette with equipment, a kettle and an area to sit (with panoramic view!).

- - - Updated - - -

...and a sauna for DaBoom.

Yes but I haven't seen any links to the apartments - they may have been shared in IRC but not here. I have no idea where they are or what they look like.

I'm just boarding a plane on Thursday with some luggage in the the vague hope a wild Finn (who I probably won't recognise immediately because his hair and beard will have inevitably changed, again*) will be there to meet me and that I might enjoy a skiing holiday with him, Jay Kay's stunt double and a Swiss chap who may once have been a member of Right Said Fred.

Or I could spend five nights kipping on the floor at Innsbruck Krannebitten before I can go home again.

*DaBoom has never, in all my years of FinalGear, ever had the same follicle arrangement from one meet to the next. I hope he reads this in time and decides to go for a purple hue this time.

As I guess the chance of people trying to kidnap us is rather slim I'll post the link here for your info: Haus Julia

I said "according to the internet" because in the discription of the appartment it says "kitchenette" whilst on the right side it mentions "shared kitchen"...I'm very much assuming every appartment has the kitchenette deal.

Oh, a friend of mine will be joining us too, I'm not sure which musician she resembles...who is blonde and russian?