Ownership Verified: Alpiner Flitzer: 2001 Porsche Boxster S

Running out of things to fix, so hopefully hitting the issue soon. Only option left after this is vacuum leak somewhere and then we get into crystal ball territory.

Running out of things to fix, so hopefully hitting the issue soon. Only option left after this is vacuum leak somewhere and then we get into crystal ball territory.
Smoke and smoke is how you figure that one out :D

Out comes the brake cleaner bottle!

I'm delighted to report that the little devil seems to be FIXED! With a shop bill that was for once lower than expected.

In a fit of pure overconfidence, we planned to meet friends on the Italian Riviera on Friday, then visit my father at his summer house in Southern France on Saturday, before returning home Sunday. Near 1500kms of mostly non-highway roads in 3 days. All before even knowing if the car would be fixed in time or if the faults would return a short while later. The baby will be arriving soon and adventure time is running out, so we just went for it.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-18 um 11.53.39.png

It all worked about as well as possible and the Boxster took everything we threw at it. Only trouble was a speaker whine that appeared on day 2 and resulted in the passanger side speakers going completely silent on day 3. The aftermarket amplifier installed in the frunk by a previous owner rattled itself loose on the just APPALLINGLY AWEFUL roads on the Italian coast and disconnected somewhere, should be an easy fix. But thanks to those "roads", I can now be confident that whatever is still on the car will stay there forever.

As our route took us by Monte Carlo, we naturally had to do the little detour and take us through the famed F1 tunnel for some unnecessary noises.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC9VByRIonw
Going back up *west* of the Alps, it's always important to state just how gorgeous the area is, all of it lined with prime driving roads wherever you go. Incredible, please go there.

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/xUKnqD-XTPw
Not much left to say at this point. I'm still very happy with the little Boxster, it is perfect for these sorts of trips. Convertible is just great in these areas, it's nimble and powerful enough for any driving road, it's small enough outside to fit on even the tiniest of roads, yet big enough inside to seat 2.5 people comfortably for 11 hours straight (Sunday we left at 10 AM and arrived home at 9 PM).
IMG_3656.jpg

Last edited:
But thanks to those "roads", I can now be confident that whatever is still on the car will stay there forever.
That's the point of those roads - if you only drive there, the stuff that can fall off falls off immediately and you're fine from then on out.

Going back up east of the Alps, it's always important to state just how gorgeous the area is, all of it lined with prime driving roads wherever you go. Incredible, please go there.
:nod: the *west* of the Alps is my favourite too, returning there early August for my pre-pre-ringmeet-roadtrip-roadtrip :driving:

Used the opportunity of 20 degree weather in late October to go for one last season end drive.
Just a 2 hour journey towards the Alps yields great driving roads and spectacular views. Pic dump:

IMG_4087.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

The final destination for the half-day trip was visiting the Rhonegletscher. A humbling experience.
This website shows you, just how fast these vast fields of ice are vanishing. While it was great to visit and all, it certainly left a sour taste in our mouths. I mean, it was still 12 degrees above 2,300m at the end of October.

The "irony" of going on a joyride to a glacier with your 20 year old convertible and then lamenting the effects of global warming is not lost on me.

With that said, the open-top weather is ending and the Boxster will be made ready for storage this week. Not a whole lot to report, other than the aircon making some weird noise, so that'll be looked at before next season starts. Will I be able to have all the suspension done by then as well? Maybe.

Season is coming up and parts are coming in with a set of new Goodyear Eagle F1 A6.
More soon.

tempImagep4mPbc.png