Alternative Insurance Schemes

EyeMWing

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Subarus and shit
So, as you may have noticed, I buy a lot of crap.

Related, I also have a completely and utterly ridiculous insurance bill. There is simply no universe in which adding another shitbox makes it any more likely I'm going to have a liability accident. The incremental cost to add another vehicle at this point should be nothing but a few bucks to cover doing the paperwork.

I have 2 cars that are driven with any semblence of regularity, and only carry liability on the cars that aren't driven regularly because, well, most of them are either bad ideas that shouldn't be fixed, or the replacement cost is within 3 or 4x what a comprehensive payment would be anyway. When they aren't being driven, I own the property where they're stored, so they're covered by the homeowner's insurance liability should someone somehow be injured by a parked car. Collectively, I put a few kilomiles on the shitbox fleet a year. Last year, it was almost exactly zero miles because literally everything was broken all year.

So, starting with the assumption that I keep the Good Stuff That Gets Driven on a traditional insurance plan, what's out there? I looked at Hagerty - they don't insure EyeMWing level idiocy.

With the exception of the Ram, none of them have OBD2 ports, so the "pay per mile" companies are out (unless there's one that'll work from odometer photos or something) and I'm allergic to GPS trackers.

I'm not above either using one of the corporations I have access to or incorporating a holding company and selling all my shit to it, if commercial fleet insurance opens doors.

And, no, unfortunately a self-insurance bond is no longer an option in Maryland. Not that I could afford to do that.

I have heard Hagerty understands the “I have one butt, many cars” syndrome that we have and have created insurance policies for that.

What do you u do as a job? If you sell or repair cars as a second job (even only on paper) you might be eligeable for dealer plates, which come with their own insurance, and you can bolt thema to any car you like.

A friends used to have those, and he only sold 4-5 used cars a year

No idea if that would work in the US though

I'm a software engineer at a faceless Fortune 500 shithole and Board Secretary/CHRO/CIO at a dog grooming corporation (which pays almost precisely nothing but it's on my resume because LOL)

Can only do that here if you're a licensed dealer, which isn't a horrible barrier to cross, but I don't have any property in any state that has the required fixtures (appropriate zoning, "adequate parking for inventory", a desk and a phone). To get the portable tags you need to show appropriate business insurance that covers operating vehicles for sale or repair.

3lxk6c.jpg

Last edited:
Already pretty close to minimum viable, actually. Just have the truck, Legacy, Jeep and Ambulance to worry about.

Everyone needs an ambulance.

Can any of the cars be classified as classics?

You can't just declare the cars off the road when you aren't using them?

You can do that here, which means the road tax and insurance stops until you declare it on the road again. There's a fee involved but if the car is parked for more than a few days it's supposedly worth it, at least on a car that's more expensive to own.

Depending on the state, you have to do that for the year's registration. It's called a "non-op" or Non-Opertational registration.

isn't there also some way you only insure the most expensive car, and the others are also covered by it?
i don't know all the details, but they do exist.

the only drawback is only one of you cars can be on the road at all times
so the wife isn't allowed to go to the shop when you are away...

Something you might look into, commercial insurance. I need to talk with dad, but I know he doesn't pay much for the insurance for the fleet of crap we keep around here for use at the track.

I would guess that there are limits on what you can use said crap for without voiding the terms of the insurance contract?