Am I crazy to buy a WebOS phone in 2013?

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
My current phone is a Palm Pixi. The original, not even the plus. It needs to replaced as it's quite literally falling apart. It's been my favorite phone ever, and WebOS is such an elegantly simple OS to use. I really like it. I see that the HP Veer is essentially the replacement for my phone, but it appears that WebOS has limited, if any support, and I don't want to have a brick in less than a year. Opinions?

I really want real keys, preferably in a QWERTY keyboard, and I like small phones. All I use it for is talk/text and limited web use (wikipedia, youtube, email, that's pretty much it) I couldn't care less about apps nor games. I also don't like side-sliding phones, they always look cheap and flimsy. School me!

BlackBerry Q10? If you don't care about apps, games, or any services beyond talk, text, and the browser, it fits the bill nicely - small size, QWERTY physical keyboard. The company isn't in the best shape, but in the worst-case scenario you'd only lose BlackBerry Messenger and the app storefront - although I can't see things going that sour just yet, and as far as support goes, the community is very active and there are a number of OS updates in the pipeline (one is due next month).

Last edited:
BlackBerry Q10? If you don't care about apps, games, or any services beyond talk, text, and the browser, it fits the bill nicely - small size, QWERTY physical keyboard. The company isn't in the best shape, but in the worst-case scenario you'd only lose BlackBerry Messenger and the app storefront - although I can't see things going that sour just yet, and as far as support goes, the community is very active and there are a number of OS updates in the pipeline (one is due next month).

While I'm no opponent of BlackBerry (I've had 2, and they are tough phones) an unlocked Q10 is at least $550. Way outside of my budget. Any other ideas? My pixi is not long for this world. :cry:

While I'm no opponent of BlackBerry (I've had 2, and they are tough phones) an unlocked Q10 is at least $550. Way outside of my budget. Any other ideas? My pixi is not long for this world. :cry:

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of budget are you looking to fit in? I've seen Q10's go for between $300 to $400 on eBay if you're willing to take something lightly used. You could also try to search for a BlackBerry Q5 in Canada - I've seen these go for around $275 here. It's not sold in the US, but the model sold here should work on most GSM carriers in the US. Having said that, I'm not sure the difference in price is enough to make up for the costs of having it delivered to you.

If you're willing to delve into slightly older phones however, there's a whole sea of older BlackBerry's and Nokia's with physical keyboards. BlackBerry OS7 is still receiving support from BlackBerry, at least until the end of this year, so you could probably have an OS7 phone like a Bold 9900 for under $200.