Am I in the wrong here? People on Autoblog Love Buicks. WTF.

How the hell can any petrol head not love the Grand National?

One of my friends owned a Grand National. He had to sell it after the heat from the non-intercooled turbo melted the front bumper from the inside. (Or something, I'd have to ask him.)

If you grew up in the 1980s and 1990s the vast majority of Buicks you would have seen on the road would have been LeSabres driven by old people. Buick has had, for at least 20 years, the reputation of being an old person's brand.

How many cool Buicks posted in this thread were made between 1988 and 2008?

This is not unlike Cadillac. It's only relatively recently, with the Escalade and the CTS-V, has Cadillac started to throw off some of that old-person stigma. No doubt there are teenagers who only know the Cadillac badge as being a symbol of cool.

So a little tolerance for the younger generation, please?

There is tolerance for the younger generation, but let's run down the list:

1 - Went on Autoblog and whined about hating Buick because it's an "old person's car"
2 - Got smacked down/educated
3 - Profit?
4 - Came to Final Gear to whine about the mean people at Autoblog and find people who hate Buick.
5 - Got smacked down/educated

Did I miss anything? This isn't about him being young, this is about him being a whiny bitch. Most of my memories of Buick are the bland Le Saber and Century; most the cars in this thread pre-date my existence by decades. That doesn't mean I don't like them or appreciate them. This kid needed a smack, and he got it. When he whined about it to us he got another one. You can't expect to go to a car forum and start spouting off about how much your teenage ass hates a car brand with that kind of history and expect to not get spanked for it.

Call it a life-lesson. STFU if you don't know what you're talking about - or at least inquire before you judge.

Last edited:
^To add to that. He is bitching about a new model that has not been driven/sold yet. Yes the first car I had was a POS 98 Century and I absolutely HATE it and all the cars that are on the similar platform. I do give every company the benefit of the doubt though. Cadillac managed to make a CTS-V, which I would take in a heart beat. Ford turned themselves around in a very short space, so I give Buick the benefit of the doubt.

Also in all honesty as much as I disliked the Century it was very hard to be as comfortable for less/comparable to other more "upmarket" brands. Now mind you I'm not saying LUXURIOUS but COMFORTABLE.

I am younger than him and mom had a HORRIBLE buick when I was young that I refer to as the ugly white boxy thing.
This was however the 90's, when 90% of cars were ugly boring box things and I recognize this as era of mostly terrible cars and assume this is why it was horrible not the brand of it.

Gruv is getting reptally destroyed here.

See wot I did?

You started an internet e-fight when I was asking an honest question?

Yes, I do love the grand national, the GNX, and all the other cool buicks in HISTORY.

But in the past 20 years, what have they offered? I am not saying ALL buicks are bad, I'm saying anything made recently, with the exception of the riviera 3800 supercharged (my dad has one, it's pretty interesting), what the hell have they made?

Literally, NOTHING INTERESTING. They've made LeSabres, and... hell, I don't even know the names of the other things, because they're so boring. So my question, which I will restate, is, how does buick continue to have gearhead fans, considering they haven't created anything worth owning in the past 20 years, besides the riviera?

If you grew up in the 1980s and 1990s the vast majority of Buicks you would have seen on the road would have been LeSabres driven by old people. Buick has had, for at least 20 years, the reputation of being an old person's brand.

How many cool Buicks posted in this thread were made between 1988 and 2008?

This is not unlike Cadillac. It's only relatively recently, with the Escalade and the CTS-V, has Cadillac started to throw off some of that old-person stigma. No doubt there are teenagers who only know the Cadillac badge as being a symbol of cool.

So a little tolerance for the younger generation, please?

Thank you. And again, if you read my post, I'm not dissing OLDER buicks. But since I've been born, they've offered the GNX/GN, and the Riviera. TWO models. Everything else was complete old person crap. What I do not understand is why so many people continue to defend this company, that has basically done nothing memorable in the past 20-30 years.

There is tolerance for the younger generation, but let's run down the list:

1 - Went on Autoblog and whined about hating Buick because it's an "old person's car"
2 - Got smacked down/educated
3 - Profit?
4 - Came to Final Gear to whine about the mean people at Autoblog and find people who hate Buick.
5 - Got smacked down/educated

Did I miss anything?

Yep. You got it all wrong.

1. Went on autoblog and wondered WTF people are getting excited about a buick for, considering all they've done for the past 20-30 years has been godawful.

2. Posted negative comment about buicks, since they currently SUCK (old buicks are cool. Old anything is cool though.)

3. Was amazed at backlash, but even more amazed by backlash of GEARHEADS, and people who claim they enjoy cars! Why are people who enjoy driving defending Buick, the company that has easily produced the MOST boring cars in the past 20 years. Go ahead, try to come up with another company that consistently produced such boring stuff? Toyota? Nope, they had the AE86, Supras, Celicas... Hyundai? Well, they had the S'coupe or whatever it was, as well as a lot of their cars had manual transmissions, so... I'd say that's more interesting. I honestly cannot think of another company that's made such boring cars. Which is why I was confused as to the backlash, and posted here with a QUESTION, which I was banned for.

To everyone posting pictures of old buicks... that's all well and great, but that is HISTORY. Historic, collectable buicks are definitely cool, but I'm not seeing how that pertains to anything buick has done from say.. 1978 to the present. They made the GN/GNX, and the Riviera. Other than that...

Why does anyone still have any shred of positive image for this company? They wore that out a long time ago with me, by producing CRAP.

This isn't about him being young, this is about him being a whiny bitch. Most of my memories of Buick are the bland Le Saber and Century; most the cars in this thread pre-date my existence by decades. That doesn't mean I don't like them or appreciate them.

How am I being whiny by posting a question? As for the older COOL buicks posted in this thread, I also appreciate them... but I do NOT appreciate Buick as a company, because since I have been born, they've consistently churned out the most boring cars available.

This kid needed a smack, and he got it. When he whined about it to us he got another one. You can't expect to go to a car forum and start spouting off about how much your teenage ass hates a car brand with that kind of history and expect to not get spanked for it.

Call it a life-lesson. STFU if you don't know what you're talking about - or at least inquire before you judge.

I'm not a kid. I'm 28. I'm a product designer, and I write about cars on the side for amazon. Not sure why you think I'm a kid, or why I don't know about cars. Maybe you should take your own advice about judging people, eh? :)

Last edited:
We gear heads will defend any car manufacturer to the death, simply because they had the guts to actually release something. The only reason Buick has released boring, bland cars from the 80s to now is because that is what the people wanted. Hell, i've driven multiple Buicks, and even though most of them were boring, there was still boatloads of fun to be had in them. Remember, it's not what you drive, it's how you drive it.

I'm not a kid. I'm 28. I'm a product designer, and I write about cars on the side for amazon. Not sure why you think I'm a kid, or why I don't know about cars. Maybe you should take your own advice about judging people, eh? :)

Didn't read the whole post, but one thing caught my eye. You write for Amazon?:blink:

Man, kudos for defending your point, it doesn't matter that it is wrong, and that you can't even build a proper lie (seriously?,amazon?).

i would just like to write a few things. Firstly, if you are whining like a little bitch about Buicks being boring (tip: most of them aren't)you should be happy that they are trying to reinvent the brand by adding some pizazz to it with a manual,turbocharged car.

Secondly, You think they haven't made a interesting car since the late '80s right? I think our very own PunisherBass's Park avenue Ultra would like to have a word with you.

Lastly, while i consider myself to be a fairly patient guy in terms of the internet (if i am or not is left to the criteria of the other people around). You are seriously getting on my nerves here, you hate Buicks? Cool!, more power to you, doesn't mean everybody around you hates them. I'm 16 and have only seen 1 Buick in my entire life (a lesabre at that) and think the are pretty cool. Guess what? i also like Hyundai, Kia and Lexus, but i don't start a thread everytime someone says they are crap.

Welcome to the internet, enjoy your stay.

And that's all i have to say about that.

Well, maybe it's because you came in here (not this thread, the board) and started acting like an utter douche from the get go.
One would expect a mature person to know a little bit more about etiquette and adapting to the particular rules and customs of a place than what you've shown.

Which neatly leads me to the next thing. Making a second account after you've been banned? Really? Yeah, that'll go down well... :lmao:

Last edited:
Multi-posting and duplicate account. Throw in a a spam message or two and you've got the ultimate Ban trifecta.

Yep. You got it all wrong.

1. Went on autoblog and wondered WTF people are getting excited about a buick for, considering all they've done for the past 20-30 years has been godawful.

2. Posted negative comment about buicks, since they currently SUCK (old buicks are cool. Old anything is cool though.)

3. Was amazed at backlash, but even more amazed by backlash of GEARHEADS, and people who claim they enjoy cars! Why are people who enjoy driving defending Buick, the company that has easily produced the MOST boring cars in the past 20 years. Go ahead, try to come up with another company that consistently produced such boring stuff? Toyota? Nope, they had the AE86, Supras, Celicas... Hyundai? Well, they had the S'coupe or whatever it was, as well as a lot of their cars had manual transmissions, so... I'd say that's more interesting. I honestly cannot think of another company that's made such boring cars. Which is why I was confused as to the backlash, and posted here with a QUESTION, which I was banned for.

To everyone posting pictures of old buicks... that's all well and great, but that is HISTORY. Historic, collectable buicks are definitely cool, but I'm not seeing how that pertains to anything buick has done from say.. 1978 to the present. They made the GN/GNX, and the Riviera. Other than that...

Why does anyone still have any shred of positive image for this company? They wore that out a long time ago with me, by producing CRAP.

How am I being whiny by posting a question? As for the older COOL buicks posted in this thread, I also appreciate them... but I do NOT appreciate Buick as a company, because since I have been born, they've consistently churned out the most boring cars available.

So Buick has made some boring crap. Now they're introducing a car that isn't. This is a good thing! This is what you call progress, and what enthusiast worth his salt would ever want to discourage progress? I'm pretty thrilled that Buick is actually making an interesting car. Who knows, they could bring over the Insignia OPC with a few new badges, that would be a massive step in the right direction.

Quite frankly, people who remember how Buick can make interesting cars will look at this and say hey, maybe they're progressing as a company. Maybe keeping Buick alive will lead to an exciting range of products and a GM that doesn't suck gigantic donkey balls. Maybe they can recapture the magic that made them so fantastic back in the day. Real enthusiasts will damn a company when it fails, and praise it when it succeeds. I've made many posts ragging on modern day Chryslers for example, but I'm definitely going to consider buying a Fiat 500 Abarth from the local Chrysler dealer. You're not a real entusiast, because you're so focused on the failures, and on badge snobbery that you're unwilling to see the potential.

You're being a blithering idiot because instead of saying that Buick might come back and be good again, and hoping for the best, you're being a 12 year old and doing a sorry old people joke. Honestly, go to a Buick dealership right now, look at the new LaCrosse. It's the very definition of a step in the right direction. Yes, it's parked beside the Lucerne, which is utter rubbish and the sooner it's canned from the lineup the better, but that's beside the point.

Going to a forum where you've already received a bad reputation and whining that nobody understands you and your dislike of Buicks? Dumb. Expecting real entusiasts to look solely at a badge and an old people reputation and not at the product? Extremely dumb. Going back and defending yourself by being shocked nobody is as ignorant and narrow minded as you are? Well that's just going to the full, pants on head retarded. No, wait, I know mentally challenged people, they're much more intelligent than you have proven yourself to be.

Also, since the GNX came after a 28 year old was born, you're either a liar or an ignoramus. Which is it? Even if you are telling the truth, the sheer idiocy displayed here means you have no business writing about cars. Or anything, in fact.

In short, remove your head from your ass and see that the world doesn't conform to your narrow minded and ignorant point of view.

That went on a lot longer than I should have.

Wasn't paying attention to my Meebo window, found this when I got there.
Code:
[15:58] cashsixeight: hey
[15:58] cashsixeight: this is Gruv Design
[15:58] cashsixeight: you there?
[15:58] cashsixeight: I can show you my articles I've written for Amazon if you'd like
[15:58] cashsixeight: Car Lust: 1988-1991 Honda Prelude 4WS
[15:59] cashsixeight: http://www.carlustblog.com/2009/01/isuzu-impulse-r.html
[16:00] cashsixeight: http://www.carlustblog.com/2009/01/our-cars-1978-mercury-marquis-brougham-sedan.html
[16:00] cashsixeight: anyway, you should probably read the rest of my post
[16:00] cashsixeight: and have fun in your forums
[16:00] cashsixeight: it's pretty shitty when they ban people for asking a fucking question
[16:00] cashsixeight: it's filled with assholes
[16:01] cashsixeight: later
:lol:

Good he's gone. Now how can we keep people that post on Autoblog out of FinalGear? It's like a poorly written, hardly researched gossip blog for cars. If that gay Hilton guy liked cars he'd work for AutoBlog.