Am I insane for wanting a muscle car as my 2nd car?

Am I insane for wanting a muscle car as my 2nd car?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being able to afford nice cars is one of the main reasons I have no desire to have kids. :)

That's exactly what I said at your age. Had the whole thing mapped out. It's also what I say at age 40.

Not everyone needs to be a breeder, and my lack of kids means I can spend money on Porsches and racing slicks and track time with no guilt or conflict. :)

Oh, FFS you two, get a room!

Wait, wut?

You need experience first. Get a FWD car first - 4 banger and become mr. careful. It is not about car control really - you can go and learn that on a course and I would urge you so to do. It is about threat perception, risk analysis in real time and learning how to get out of trouble once you are in it.

Why does the car need to be a FWD 4 banger? My first car was a RWD V8 and I managed to not kill myself.

Use good judgment and practice safely and it shouldn't be a problem. I owned a RWD V8 sports car for years that was prone to snap oversteer and I managed to live (that includes driving it in rain and snow). Don't mash the peddle and practice. A friend of mine went from an old Pontiac Grand Prix to a C5 Corvette and he is still alive.

Before you think of doing anything too hastly just tell yourself this "I paid over $30k for this car".

Last edited:
It would be my main vehicle as I don't have a commute or a need for a second car. :( Hopefully there's some type of low mileage plan.

Do the math. It might pay to keep the Corsica as your "primary" car with liability coverage only, rather than have only the Viper as your primary car. Get quotes both ways.

I think it depends quite a bit on how long you plan to drive the Corsica. if you are going to drive the FWD shitbox for 3 years and then upgrade to the Viper i think you could probably do that without any real issues. There will of course be an adjustment period and i would definitely suggest you do some sort of high performance driving course/day/whatever but it is definitely do able. On the other hand if you drive the corsica for 6 months and then jump into the viper i think it will be less of a great idea. Honestly i think actual on the road driving experience even in a shit box goes a fair bit farther than all of the "i'll be careful" or "I am very cautions" in the world.

You need experience first. Get a FWD car first - 4 banger and become mr. careful.

The Corsica is a FWD 6 banger and I already basically drive like a grandma. :p

Before you think of doing anything too hastly just tell yourself this "I paid over $30k for this car".

Oh don't worry, I totally will. I'm frankly not a risk taker.

Do the math. It might pay to keep the Corsica as your "primary" car with liability coverage only, rather than have only the Viper as your primary car. Get quotes both ways.

Yeah, I've thought about that as well.

I think it depends quite a bit on how long you plan to drive the Corsica. if you are going to drive the FWD shitbox for 3 years and then upgrade to the Viper i think you could probably do that without any real issues. There will of course be an adjustment period and i would definitely suggest you do some sort of high performance driving course/day/whatever but it is definitely do able. On the other hand if you drive the corsica for 6 months and then jump into the viper i think it will be less of a great idea. Honestly i think actual on the road driving experience even in a shit box goes a fair bit farther than all of the "i'll be careful" or "I am very cautions" in the world.

Agreed about the experience. It'd probably end up being at least a year I imagine.

Yup, you're insane.
So it's a perfect car for you.

Just don't crash it like many do.

Just watch out the mercury in the rear seat video display and you'll be fine. :p

Sure, go ahead and get it. You've wanted one forever. So buy it, then go do something I'll bet no other Viper owner has done. Take it in to a reputable tuner in the area and have it detuned. Lower the power output to something sensible, maybe have the speed limiter set to something like 80mph. Then drive it for a year or so and get used to it some. Then go in on your birthday and have it tuned up some. Drive it like that for a bit, then have it tuned up again. A couple cycles and it will be back at it's normal performance and you'll be more comfortable and experienced.

Sure it's crazy and probably won't work as simply as I said it, but perhaps it's worth looking into.

Take it in to a reputable tuner in the area and have it detuned.

Blasphemy!

And I don't need a speed limiter in order to not speed in it. I'm not an idiot. I'm responsible. ;)

Oh, in answer to your original question; with a username of Viper007Bond, it would be insane not to want a Viper.

But I think I'm insane for wanting a new Ford F-150 Lariat 4X4 pickup, so take my advice for what it's worth.

I think Viper will do fine, it isn't like he will be buying a 1600 pound rotary powered two seater with under sized tires and lolsprings. :p

Oh, in answer to your original question; with a username of Viper007Bond, it would be insane not to want a Viper.

True, but he needs to get the tux and the Walther PPK to go with it. :cool:

I even thought he'd found the girl recently, but then I put my glasses back on and realised it was just Richard Hammond.

And I don't need a speed limiter in order to not speed in it. I'm not an idiot. I'm responsible. ;)

I guess that's easier to say now than it is when you're actually sitting behind the wheel of a Viper. :p

I know is a question of "The-answer-is-one-of-those-whose-got-to-be-politically-correct", BUT. Being a Muscle Freak myself I perfectly know what is to have a lust desire for a machine inspired from the golden era in the history of the Automobile.
(The 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner to be precise).

As long as you can afford the car without going into debt, I say Go For It Man!
The viper is the ultimate American Sports-Muscle-Bonkers Machine

Little fun note:
I am about to graduate from University of Texas at El Paso, and I used to hangout with an Awesome professor of mechanical engineering called Gary Hawkins. The guy is a car nut (Ram SRT10, Shelby Cobra, Z06, Prowler). At the middle of every fall semester he used to get the top students from his class and take them in his jet for trip to SEMA Show in Vegas. And usually when you go to professors offices they have chairs for you to sit when you pay them a visit. Dr. Hawkins screwed the chairs and instead placed a Chrysler LA 8.0 engine next to his desk.... XD

By the way:
Also here in El Paso, in my way to school there there is a guy selling a GTS ACR as consignment; Link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.