Am I Racist?

Ultra_Kool_Dude

AWESOME!!!111ONE
Car(s)
POWERR!!!
Does anyone else think that policies demanding a certain amount/percentage of minority people to do a job is sending a backward message?

For example, the NFL is pushing for the team execs/coaches etc. to hire more black people, but there is no one demanding that the players be more white. Is it racist to say "black people are better players, maybe white people are better coaches..."?

Or in Canada, to be a firefighter, if you're a male minority you only have to complete the minimum requirements of a woman. Does anyone getting rescued from a fire care more about someone's colour than their skills?

Yeah that's VERY dumb.

Like companies who'll want to hire some visible minorities or women for some jobs to keep their employees relative to the overall population.

FUCK IT.

white brown yellow or blue, skills matter not color.

a few weeks ago a local company got sewed because they did hire turkisch and marrocan people, but didn't want them to have any contact with the customers

god damn! at least they're hiring some of them

that anti-racism bullshit DOES NOT HELP. in contrary, you start hating those anit-racism-propagandists as well

(and they also wanted a law that EVERY sportsclub should have at least 1 foreign player :thumbsdown: )

haha604 said:
Affirmative action sucks :x .
Agreed, especially when it comes to getting into a college.

Ahh your talking about Positive Discrimination.. and yes it's complete shite.

No your not rasist, the people who came up with the term and concept are the rasist fucks.

It's simple and we all seem to realise it here, if employing/choosing some one for a posistion they should be the best at doing that task. Age, race, sex, disabilities, belief's shouldn't come into it unless it effects their performance.

Now in the real world no one really follows these principals (I think age discrimination is most common) but it's done quietly and usually for solid sensible reasons.

To make a rule saying you must hire 90% asian/black(example), it's total bollocks and out right racist.

I still can't believe their hasn't been a large court case that the media has jumped on, especially with papers like the Sun in Britain always painting a poor picture of imigration.

Sorry to moan on about this, but it's a subject that annoy's me so much :x

affirmative action is not necessarily a bad thing.

Two american professors, mit, harvard, some place like that, did an statistical study of job applications, and how being black would affect applicatans. I think they sent 1200 applications some with regular names, like James, John, etc, and others most likely "black names" like DeShawn and Shanice, and guess what happens, "white names" were a lot more likely to get job interviews, than black ones.

But at the end of the day, it's skills that should detemine who gets the job, not ethinicity or any other criteria.

Renesis said:
Yeah that's VERY dumb.

Like companies who'll want to hire some visible minorities or women for some jobs to keep their employees relative to the overall population.

FUCK IT.

white brown yellow or blue, skills matter not color.

:roll: :thumbsup:

Renesis said:
Viper007Bond said:
haha604 said:

WTF, that doesn't exist.
Yes it does, down here at least. Colleges want to have a "diverse student population".

Seeing that white people have had a 200 year head start, it's understandable why african americans would want an equal chance.

Atleast that's how it is in america.

It's easy for white males so say people should be hired based on skills. Most of you were hired because you are white males, not because of your skills.

Viper007Bond said:
Renesis said:
Viper007Bond said:
haha604 said:

WTF, that doesn't exist.
Yes it does, down here at least. Colleges want to have a "diverse student population".

How stupid, here it's with "Cote R" which what you call GPA I think.

///M said:
Seeing that white people have had a 200 year head start, it's understandable why african americans would want an equal chance.

Atleast that's how it is in america.

Well, here in Norway we didn't have slaves, but we elected our first female minority into our parlament only four years ago, while USA has high-up minorities like Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell, which is by comparison light-years ahead of us. I think the problem is more that instead of being perceived as role-models in the african-american community they are looked upon as "Uncle Toms". So unless parts of the community changes its perception, things will stay the same.

When it comes to affirmative action, it's a double-edged sword. Lately legislation has been passed here that demands that 40% of members in a company board has to be women. I think most people would like to be chosen because of their skills, not because they're a part of a quota.

If you weren't allowed to choose according to skills (thereby chosing the best person for a certain task, Darwin) , but you should choose a certain % of this and that, think about how far the civilisation would have reached.
look at how the soviet union and all other comunist countries have evolved. it's because someone was telling everyone what to do and not to do, and no one did what they were best at doing.
you have to let people evolve and let them do what they are best at doing.

Edit: Sorry - forgot to answer your question. No I don't think you're racist!

You seriously think Condi Rice and Powell make up for generations wasted in forced labour?

I don't know were I stand in terms of giving out free hand outs, I'm just saying it's understandable why african-americans are asking for more advantages. I would be willing to bet that alot of rich, white families that have had generations of wealth built their empires on the blood, sweat, and tears of slaves. Remember that it's barely been 50 years since blacks have truly been equal to whites.

I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with making companies interview a diverse range of people and I think the point made about names is a good example of why we do need to make sure that initial impressions are changed. I don't however agree with someone who is maybe part of a racial minority who is less skilled than say a white person getting the job over the white person. This is particularly cruicial in safety critical situations like Firefighters or Airline pilots. Equally, if say a black guy was a better pilot than another white candidate, I think it would be totally wrong to give the job to the white guy.

I know that minorities have suffered hugely in the past, but it's no excuse to start being racist (which is what it is) against white people. I see things here in the UK advertising things like 'The Asian Ball' which was an Asian (as in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India not China and Japan etc) only black tie ball. TBH I was quite offended as it was discriminating against the colour of my skin. The crazy thing is, that this is 100% acceptable. No one bats an eyelid. Yet if I put a poster up saying 'White Ball....White people only' I'd probably be arrested, it'd be all over the news and I'd probably be attacted by people. The popultion in Birmingham and Leicester is approaching 50-50 white to asian so it will get to the point soon where I am part of a racial minority!

You seriously think Condi Rice and Powell make up for generations wasted in forced labour?

No, but you can't say that USA doesn't provide the opportunities for minorities.
And I think that the slavery-argument is a little worn out, if you can't let it go, you'll spend your whole life viewing all white people as slavers, which they aren't.

It's easy for you to say let's drop the slavery arguement. It's not a worn out issue, less than 50 years ago black people were getting bitten by police dogs and hosed down for protesting seperate facilities. That's only one generation ago. If you think it takes one generation without aide for blacks to be equal to whites, you're seriously delusional.

Most people today admit that slavery wasn't a cool thing, as most people also think that segregation was bad. The people that had slaves and people that made segregation laws are gone. If people choose to blame someone for what their grandfather did, so be it. But it ain't gonna lead to anything good. Instead of blaming others for your own misfortune, maybe you should look at what opportunities you have.