"American Top Gear To Go "Celebrity Direction""

Discovery channel tried to do this a while back with three regular guys.http://img527.imageshack.**/img527/4970/large8eu2.th.jpg

?Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph; John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint 'sir and m'am' good manners that only Americans can do; and Johnny, a former reality show winner with a nice line in weird humour.?

The pilot must have been offal, and I can see why, they didn't have a person who actually was on TV before. Remember that all of Top Gears host had been on television. May stands out as the one with least experience but did have some experience and im sure had coaching. Hammond and Clarkson had a reserve of experience and im sure goes to their professionalism. I just hope they don't bother with anyone who does not have either acting or news background and on screen time.

EDIT: To the negative rep'ing coward: Just because you disagree with someone does not mean you have to negatively rep them. If you think I'm wrong don't just give a negative rep with the comment "You're Wrong," open a dialog about it. I enjoy having my opinions challenged, it forces me to reexamine my position, but if you are a complete ninny about it and don't have the stones to talk about it then how are any of us going to lean anything. You are a spineless coward, man up and open a discussion.

THANK YOU. This happened to me in the locked "Gear" thread and I wasn't too happy about it It sends the message: don't like someone's opinion? Neg rep them and give them an anonymous insult. Any chance to just disable that feature if people are going to be children about it?

THANK YOU. This happened to me in the locked "Gear" thread and I wasn't too happy about it It sends the message: don't like someone's opinion? Neg rep them and give them an anonymous insult. Any chance to just disable that feature if people are going to be children about it?

Message Quiky about these retarded reps and he'll take care of 'em (and possibly the idiot doing it).

Edit: it seems I got the same treatment from the boobs or ass thread.

Last edited:
We all know this is gonna suck.
They just won't have the same type of vibe the TG team have.
And whos gonna be their stig?

1) We DON'T know that this is going to suck. It may and it may not. There's no way to know until we see the finished product.

2) If the rumors are to be believed, The Stig is going to be The Stig, at least at first.

3) Does it matter who the American Stig is? After all, "The Stig" is really just a white jumpsuit and a white helmet. It could be anyone in there, as long as the person (or persons) is a good driver, right?

4) There's no doubt that "the vibe" will be different. That's a given. What remains to be seen is if this show's unique vibe is good or not.

We all know this is gonna suck.

Not being identical to Top Gear or even not being as good as Top Gear doesn't mean it'll suck. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Message Quiky about these retarded reps and he'll take care of 'em (and possibly the idiot doing it).

Actually, all he did was insult me more; I was pretty disappointed how it was handled. Looks like I just won't post here anymore.

are there any credible sources that say Patrick Dempsey might be involved. I find it kind of unlikely that he'd leave Grey's Anatomy for something like this.

are there any credible sources that say Patrick Dempsey might be involved. I find it kind of unlikely that he'd leave Grey's Anatomy for something like this.

Would he have to leave the show? I mean, after all, it isn't as if hosting Gear would take up all his time. In fact, it seems to me that the time commitment would be relatively minor when compared to that required for a drama show.

Would he have to leave the show? I mean, after all, it isn't as if hosting Gear would take up all his time. In fact, it seems to me that the time commitment would be relatively minor when compared to that required for a drama show.

If they do the challenges and what not that the UK version of the show does, it may take more :dunno:

Actually, all he did was insult me more; I was pretty disappointed how it was handled. Looks like I just won't post here anymore.

You get one negative, insulted by the self admitted "evil admin", and you sound as if the forum hates you and wants you out of here. I wouldn't worry about it really, as it's quite rare.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this more and I think the decision to not go with an all unknown name group of people was a good one. Having a name or two gives the show more credit and a larger interested fanbase.

On the flip side, I don't think an all celebrity cast would be a good idea either. Having a true journalist in the team would insure proper reviews and such. You know, someone from like Jalopnik, Car And Driver, etc. -- that kinda thing.

After all, Clarkson and May are journalists.

What about Adam Carolla? He's a awesome host, huge car guy, in the L.A. area with Leno and Allen. They all already know each other, and the chemistry is there.

Leno seems to be hesitant about the idea, but he should be coming on board. That's the rumor here at least...

Last edited:
Leno would be a great idea. He's got a huge collection and he's a true car nut. They could do a weekly/monthly showcase of one of Leno's cars as part of the show. Too many people lump Leno with the other rich guys who only buy cars as investments/show-offs/etc. (ie, Ralph Lauren, etc.)