"American Top Gear To Go "Celebrity Direction""

bafranksbro

Car(s)
98 VW Jetta
Found another article from just yesterday this time stating that some known celebrity car enthusiasts could be the choices for cast citing phone calls to current car journalists. Also it appears the BBC is quite involved in the process.

Carol Moody said:
We've known for quite some time that the hit BBC show Top Gear is coming to America. Producers of the show originally wanted to use the British hosts for the U.S. version, but decided the trans-Atlantic shooting schedule would be too demanding.

In mid-January, NBC announced the U.S. version of Top Gear would air on its network rather than a cable outlet like Speed or ESPN. At the same time, BBC producers were feverishly screening American automotive writers as potential hosts, hoping to give the new show "journalistic credibility."

NBC has since decided to tweak its original plan. Several on-camera automotive journalist candidates received phone calls this week from the BBC stating the network now wanted to take the new Top Gear in more of a "celebrity direction."

An existing NBC relationship with known automotive enthusiast Jay Leno, and the fact that his current Tonight Show contract expires in 2009 could make Leno a front-runner. Actor and Porsche collector Jerry Seinfeld also has a lasting NBC relationship as evidenced by his guest stint on NBC's 30 Rock and heavy rotation of Bee Movie promos that also aired on the network. We wouldn't "bee" surprised to see him in the running as well.

What this means to you: Expect American Top Gear to air without the old-school car magazine editor in a threadbare tweed jacket.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=124569

:thumbup: to Leno

:thumbsdown: to Seinfeld

Seinfeld... just because he collects Porsches? Woopdee-freakin-doo

If they're going for actors, pick some that have some automotive knowledge and/or driving skills not just the money to buy a bunch of cars.

Paul Newman, Jason Preistly, and Patrick Dempsey come to mind.

Why thumbs down to Jerry?

Because he's a comedian and I think he'd be too busy cracking jokes or whatever. I want more of an enthusiast than Jerry.

Last edited:
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO!
AAARRRRRGHHHHHHH!
madface.

I have just lost a HUGE amount of optimism for this show. Still looking forward to seeing it, but I am back to having a strong feeling it will be terrible.

I think the actors would be a good choice as long as they have someone helping them "shape" things a little, because I am sure they would not be nearly as smooth or presentable as any of the original TG guys. They all had a good bit of journalistic experience and were well prepared for making things presentable.... I am sure the directors and editors have helped them out along the way, but having that sort of background is an EXCELLENT foundation for this sort of thing which is why they work so well on camera!

Wow, way to temper my enthusiasm for the show.

Part of what is nice about Top Gear is the hosts seem like they are genuine friends outside the show, and hang out together off camera at times. I dont see that in Leno/Seinfeld.

Leno, Seinfeld possible hosts

Leno, Seinfeld possible hosts

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/31/rumormill-leno-or-seinfeld-could-host-nbc-i-top-gear-i/

Leno? OK, he knows his cars, that's a given. He's a proper petrol-head. I'm not sure I really like his presenting style, I find it pretty bland. I think it's a pretty good standup on his own show, but, oddly, I just can't really see him presenting an entertaining/goofing-around/being-silly car show. On other hand, I can't really think of anyone else right now.

But, Seinfeld? Does he even know anything about cars? Forgive my ignorance, but is he even a petrol-head? Then again, I can see him being silly with car reviews.

Other opinions?

EDIT: Dang it, just saw the post on FG's front page. Quiky/Viper/whoever, merge this with the appropriate thread, if necessary.

But, Seinfeld? Does he even know anything about cars? Forgive my ignorance, but is he even a petrol-head?

He's one of the biggest Porsche nuts out there. Has at least 550, 959 and 917(!) plus dosens of other significant models.

I remember reading his Carrera GT review back when it came out, and it was very nicely written.

EDIT: Oh, here it is: http://www.944fest.com/Media/Jerryskids.html

I honestly believe that if they choose these two, you WILL have a hit show.

I'm constantly fasinated by jaylenosgarage.com. He's funny, informative and a really great informal personality that would contribute a lot to such a show.

As for Jerry Seinfeld, he's one of those guys that Porsche NA calls up when a new model comes out becuase he's been steeped in Porsche buying since his fame took off. Car and Driver's review of the Carrera GT was done by Seinfeld. It was an AMAZING review of the car; something like you'd find in Top Gear magazine.

If you want to make an "American" version of Top Gear with equivilant personalities, I think Jay and Jerry are a great start. Audiences would be really reveled by the in-studio portion of the show.

As for a third person, Kenny Mayne from ESPN. He's a comedian as well. He's been doing ESPN forever and is one of the craetors of all those great ESPN and ESPN2 commercials.

http://video.google.com/videosearch...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv

He could be the American Hammond... 911 loving freak ;-)
I remember reading somewhere that he has over 70 Porsches...

I
As for Jerry Seinfeld, he's one of those guys that Porsche NA calls up when a new model comes out becuase he's been steeped in Porsche buying since his fame took off. Car and Driver's review of the Carrera GT was done by Seinfeld. It was an AMAZING review of the car; something like you'd find in Top Gear magazine.

However, the show is Top Gear, not Top Porsche. I can name any number of guys that are experts on one single car, but are pretty clueless about the rest of the automotive universe. Seinfeld has shown that he certainly knows and loves his Porsches, but do you think he could give a review to a Nissan? How about a Honda or Hyundai? Maybe he can, maybe not.

So far the only fact in the articles that have come out today is that "the show is taking a celebrity direction." There has been no info from anyone connected to the program that Leno, Seinfeld or anyone else specifically being approached to host the show. From NBC's perspective that could just as well mean Ryan Seacrest or Hulk Hogan.

I may be wrong about this, but I would think that at this stage in his career Leno would be looking to produce his own car program (hence, Jay Leno's Garage) instead of risking potential failure with someone else's show. If he were to join Top Gear, and if it never went past pilot (for any of the 100s of reasons shows get cancelled) that would reflect poorly on Jay's options after Tonight Show.

Last edited:
I think any chance of the show being half-decent has just died. Why have professional knowledgeable motoring journalists when you can have celebrities! They own some cars and everything!

That's what I was saying in my first post, although you worded it a bit better.

seinfeld may not be that much of an enthusiast, but he's one angry ticket, if anyone saw him when he was on larry king live...

The more I think about these candidates, I'm trying to put them in similar situations to those we know from the Top Gear we all know. I think Seinfeld could be very much like Jeremy when things don't work right or when things annoy him, his style of comedy is very much based on logic and common sense. I could hear Jerry saying something to the same effect of "why doesn't this work." But on the other hand I can't see him being to overly self confident about trying to win a challenge as Jeremy is, he'd probably be more likely to not care at all whether he wins or not.

Jay can be very boring when taking about cars and gets probably to technical, something you'd more likely hear from James when you think about it. When it comes to challenges Jay would probably try to over think it with some sort of idea he thinks is rather clever when in reality it really isn't, somewhat a mix of James and Jeremy in that respect but he wouldn't care if he won either I don't think. I can't see either of them two getting all to excited about winning a challenge as all three of Top Gear's presenters would be if they won.

This is gonna suck more than Paris Hilton...

Part of the appeal of Top Gear with its hosts is the same feeling you get from someone like George Carlin; the hero that's really an anti-hero.

Leno and Seinfeld are quite the opposite.

This is terrible news.

Its going to be Series 9 from the start. Boo-urns.