American VW's not made in Mexico?

:lol:

Just checked around with people more in the know than me, i know 4 people with the same motor as me and none of them still have their CC's installed, its the first thing done when you get a car is to remove them, not so much to be "omg 2 fast 2 furious horsepower", but more to remove a useless parasite from the engine, it does no good and robs gas mileage and whatnot.

Sure it may do no more good than turning off the headlights, but at least the headlights serve a useful purpose. Asked a local police officer/Trans am owner and he said it was fine as long as the motor did not cause a noise violation. (which mine certainly would, and i will be fixing soon with a nice Y pipe setup)

If it is a "federal felony" than nobody around here got the memo.

Congrats on proving that you and your friends are all idiots.

1: The difference between a freeflow cat and no cat is only 1 HP, empirically proven. See: http://images.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/pdf/catalytic.pdf

2. Yanking the cat is illegal in your state: http://www.dep.state.fl.us/air/rules/fac/62-243.pdf

3: Yanking the cat is illegal anywhere in the US: http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/donttamper.pdf

The above brochure is a bit out of date - the penalty was upped to 10 years/$100,000 last year. Thank you, Congress. :(

Doesn't bother me in the least, even if that is a law its so commonly broken that its not even worth wondering about, i doubt very much its enforced whatsoever, just used as an excuse to pull over idiots and pin them for something when you cant find anything else...

Its a useless mechanical parasite and i don't care what the law says, the government doesn't control my actions or morality.

Just because the law is seldom enforced doesn't make violating it any less illegal.

Congratulations on giving the greenies more ammo to shut down our hobby. They're already successfully getting car hobbyists percieved as "wasteful polluters" in many states - we *have* to keep it clean or we *will* eventually get shut down. Don't believe me - just watch what's happening in California.

Wow. Just wow.
I am a Mechanical Engineer, my education made sure that I know this, and I'm sorry, but if you say a cat is a parasite to the engine, you my friend, are far from the truth.
Cars do polute, and cats help a lot, notice I didn't say they clean up cars, they help.
Running a car without a cat is stupid, irresponsible, and I hope it is trully a federal offense. I know I haven't written much on these boards, but you my friend, should be punished with the full extent of the law.
Heck, even cat cars often fail emission tests because they aren't in tune. Or are you implying that your car is tuned 24/7?
You are not getting any gains by removing them, they don't make fuel mileage worse, or HP, or torque. The differences will be negligible.
FFS, get some cats on!
P.S.
Don't care about the environment? Well, I care about cars, yet I care about the environment. The eco problem is true, and all efforts being made are wiped away by idiots like you.

Removing a bunch of little things can make a big difference, I didn't remove the cats, but i did remove the air conditioning system, the power seats, thinking about removing the back seats and power windows (heavier than you'd think) as well. anything that saps power that you don't mind losing takes that little tiny bit of effort from the motor itself, doing 4 or 5 little tiny things can add up to one noticeable (and free) improvement. If i daily drove the car it would be a different story, but so far it only sees a few single digit miles of driving a month. I doubt its doing more polluting than what you've got, no matter how much parasitic cleaning equiptment you have bolted onto it.

The only thing the cats do is improve the emissions of the car, and as i don't mind polluting, I'm not going to spend my money putting them onto the car. If you want to call me a dick over something so minor thats up to you, but remember this: I'm not the one slinging the insults around here, you are. I respect your opinions and understand where you are coming from, but to get so worked up over something like this is unusual, and maybe even a little immature.

Last edited:
Ok, so you justify yourself by saying you don't pollute much. Well, you could pollute less.
And get some reading done dude, pollution is a problem! I'm not taking global warming, because that isn't proven yet, pollution is a serious issue my friend.
As you said, adding up little things make a difference.

Don't care about the environment? Well, I care about cars, yet I care about the environment. The eco problem is true, and all efforts being made are wiped away by idiots like you.

:stupid: It seems like most people on this forum feel that being a car guy also means driving a 500ci caddy v8 with no cats, an out of tune carb running on 7 cylinders...

There is no reason that we can't have our proverbial cake and eat it too. When GM can push out a 7.0, 500hp v8 that still easily passes emissions why must we fight it so much?

The only thing the cats do is improve the emissions of the car, and as i don't mind polluting, I'm not going to spend my money putting them onto the car.

LA-smog-2.jpg

261718673_00baec77e9.jpg

Ahem - smog in Miami (behind the bike):

494257144_56716e26f2.jpg

Ahem - next time make your google image searches a little more thorough:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennyromney/494257144/

As it says in the description on the photos page, that picture is from about a year ago when there were bad wildfires in the everglades, causing smoke to be blown over the city for a few days. I remember, i was here at the time. That is naturally occurring smoke, the plants dry up in the summer and get struck by lightning, burning them all down to make room for new plants to grow, its a vital part of the local ecosystem.

Fact is, i've lived in Miami for years now and have never seen or heard of any form of human-caused air pollution, at all...

Last edited:
It's still smog - and the only reason you don't generally *see* it hanging around is because of the winds coming off the ocean. It's still there, you can see it in IR photographs from orbit.

It's still smog - and the only reason you don't generally *see* it hanging around is because of the winds coming off the ocean. It's still there, you can see it in IR photographs from orbit.

I remember living in Miami and getting ozone alerts.

I think it's time we come to terms with what we are dealing with... just read his sig. ;)

I'm not denying the existence of air pollution over a gigantic city, i'm just saying its ridiculous to compare it to the west cost of california, who'se problem is much worse than ours (despite also being on the coast) to the degree that you cant even compare the two.

Like i said before, mock all you like, i wont be the one slinging insults on a forum.

Last edited:
The VW Fox is made in Brazil , Richard Hammond sed when they played football with cars. But all this wehere is made is very confuzing bcz it depends where U leave, the year.... But momentum sed just check the plate on the car.

Made in Mexico

Made in Mexico

Just because a car is built in Mexico does not mean its bad build quality most of the best Fords are being built in Mexico now.
I had 2 cars that were made in Mexico, one was a Ford and the other a Buick, both had electrical fires and burned up. It might be a coincidence, but after barely getting out of the Buick before it was engulfed in flames, i will not risk another mexican made car

Speaking of mexican volkswagens, i heard they made the original beetle in mexico well into the 2000's.

Would getting one of these be a good idea, and if so, how would i go about getting one in america?

The idea of a 50's car with factory modern air conditioning and CD player is just too badass not to consider...
I remember there was a problem legally bringing the Mexican made old style Beetle into the US. I think it was that they did not pass EPA standards. Rumor was that the EPA made it so they could not be passed by the Beetle

I had 2 cars that were made in Mexico, one was a Ford and the other a Buick, both had electrical fires and burned up. It might be a coincidence, but after barely getting out of the Buick before it was engulfed in flames, i will not risk another mexican made car

That could have been down to engineering of the parts used.