American writer on Top Gear

matatarski

Car(s)
2004 Honda Accord...with a V6!
Here is an article from Slate, an online magazine from the Washington Post, on why Top Gear is so great. There are a couple glaring errors (stating that the Bugatti Veyron costs $100,000, for example), but it's an interesting look at the difference between American and British machismo.

http://www.slate.com/id/2211036/

Last edited:
"I have NOT had my teeth whitened!" :D

The piece isn't too bad, errors notwithstanding.

I hope for the author's sake NooDle doesn't read it - he made the grave error of using the word "shenanigans"!!

A nicely toned read in spite of the factual gaffs.

May?who resembles a disheveled uncle who's had one too many?exists in a constant daze
:lmao:

I'm sorry, i can't remember the last time i've read an article quite as saturated with errors as this one. if this is considered journalism, i've no hope.

I hope for the author's sake NooDle doesn't read it - he made the grave error of using the word "shenanigans"!!

A nicely toned read in spite of the factual gaffs.

too late! Quite a good article, bar a few mistakes (TG has a racetrack, not a rally track, for instance)

I'll still have to pistol whip the author though

Mr. Fleming has made some corrections to his article which was rather nice. It has to be hard to talk about machismo and BBC America.

they still state that the tg test track is a rally stage, and that the stigs identity has been revieled (fair to say it hasn't, isn't it), the two most profound errors in the article after the first flood of corrections are still standing.

i was one of the 'enthusiasts', must say, i have been called a nerd in nicer ways before :)

In the show's African Special Episode?the best to date?he managed to take a wrong turn into Zimbabwe, where BBC cameras aren't allowed.

This was just ONE of the reasons that the African special was so great. Start it off an James is already lost. It was a great read Matatarski, thanks for the find! I didn't get to read the article before it got edited but for a fluff piece it was pretty good.

Done classes for the week, time to start up a marathon of episodes!

Can I just say when I read that the sponsored link at the end it read - and i'm not joking- '1. Rachel Ray's secret to whiter teeth - www.best-teeth-whitening.com'

Too good to be true, surely?

Somewhere in Google Ads database is the line

Richard Hammond = Teeth Whitening

:lol:

Pretty good article considering this man's only knowledge of TG comes from BBCA. A channel I can not even stand to watch TG on because of all the good stuff they cut out of each episode.

Which is so obvious with his take on James.

I do not think he has seen James' other stuff. There is TV beyond the shores of the US (and some of it in English!) and at least he recognises that fact.

I have to say that it is because of this forum that I can see Top Gear in its proper format. I watch BBCA's version last night and it was just horrendous. I'd seen the original version of the episode for one of them and it still seemed stilted and hadn't seen the second but it still seemed weird. I'm not used to the "coming up next" crap for BBC stuff, the editing doesn't lend itself to it.
It's not a bad article for Slate, which I usually squint at for a long time, then sigh and move on. At least yer man is trying. Perhaps he needs to be educated in the way of Final Gear and its fine regulars ;)

"Slate would like to thank the many, many Top Gear enthusiasts who pointed out the errors in this article." = through gritted teeth :lol: