Americanisms

We get so much US TV and films we pick up most of what Americans are saying and remember their version which usually be 'devined' by context.

Not sure but I think the US Military use dd/mm/yyyy on their dates to match in with any allies, their militaries all have that formation for a date. In the not too distant future Canadians, who are slowly transforming themselves in to Americans lite will be using mm/dd/yyyy I bet.

I did a search.twitter definitely "August five".

Linky

I cannot imagine why they would do that, probably just trying to be "cutesy". Unfort many of our marketing and media companies like to be cutesy. Bleh.

Yes many Americanisms come from different regions. Just like England, we have so many different accents it'll make your head spin. I am amazed at how many different accents are in England, even excluding Wales and Scotland. Pretty impressive for its size.

I cannot imagine why they would do that, probably just trying to be "cutesy". Unfort many of our marketing and media companies like to be cutesy. Bleh.

Yes many Americanisms come from different regions. Just like England, we have so many different accents it'll make your head spin. I am amazed at how many different accents are in England, even excluding Wales and Scotland. Pretty impressive for its size.

[History]
Up until the mid-nineteeth century in England with the start of the railways, most people could only travel about 20 miles a day by walking and few ever went even that far in their whole lifetimes. So the world was a very big place and accents were very localised. [/History]

Last edited:
Yup. I remember reading that people in England even today who lived only a few miles away from each other have different accents. You'd have to go about 50 miles in Texas to hear a change.

I do find it funny that from some foreigners I've talked to before, they immediately think you'll have a London accent when you say you're from England.

Because what people think of as a "London" accent (London has different accents depending on the part of the city.) is called Received Pronunciation. It's what actors use on television and in films.

And because that is what most Americans see of British people, that's what they assume they all sound like. I made that very same mistake when I first visited the UK.

As we all know the audience of Top Gear America is awful and heres why.

Proper TG the audience laugh and clap.
TGA laugh, clap, whoop, holla and "FUCK YEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!" "Oh no, they did-unt?" over the top BS.

And because that is what most Americans see of British people, that's what they assume they all sound like. I made that very same mistake when I first visited the UK.

I solve that problem by having that accent - or rather no accent sort of. :p It's certainly not a 'London' accent, but people have placed me as being from Kent instantly :lol:

Because we say July 30th, 2010...we tend to write how we speak.

Two ten conveys the same information using one less word, brevity is a great charm of eloquence.

But then why use GSW (5 syllables) for gun shot wound (only 3!)??

GSI > gun shot injury sure.

And don't ask ze Germanss. They came up with air-cushion-travel-thing for hovercraft. (Luftkissenfahrzeug if you are curious although these days I think they prefer Luftkissenboot. Which since it clearly isn't a boat is actually very un-German of them!)

And Maeday, there are more identifiable English accents within England than there are in the rest of the English speaking world combined. I grew up in a village in Lancashire with two large towns not too far away. The village and the one three miles away had separate accents, as did both towns. Four accents in a distance of less then 10 miles as the crow flies.

Last edited:
The letter "w" really shouldn't need 3 syllables to describe it; it makes "www" the most counterproductive acronym out there.

Reactions: MWF
But then why use GSW (5 syllables) for gun shot wound (only 3!)??
GSW is a cop/doctor/coroner initialism, as it's easier to write GSW repeatedly in the various reports those professions require. Also the general public doesn't use the term(only TV shows like CSI), he/she got shot, is standard usage.

Yeah I've never heard anyone say GSW in normal conversation. I watch a normal amount of crime shows and don't hear it there much either. Besides, dontcha know that Muricans say "w" as "dubya" :mrgreen:

......actually I really do say it "dubya", especially after being back in east Texas for a year.

An observation on flags, usage of.

My local police station no flags to be seen.

One of the Chicago Police city police stations, you get a City of Chicago flag, a Stars and Stripes and a Chicago PD flag.
(There may even have been an Illinois State flag, as well.)

America is quite big on flags.

:)

Because what people think of as a "London" accent (London has different accents depending on the part of the city.) is called Received Pronunciation. It's what actors use on television and in films.

Yeah I got asked a few times in a taking the piss manner "Want some tea and crumpets?" To which me flip reply were "No fuck off an' get me a pint." The face instantly changes when you don't sound like Stephen Fry an' they can't place th'accent. It's same where ever you go int world what's normally perceived ain't always true.

Free drinks fer't rest o' th'evening though. :lol: