Americanisms

considering that nobody else plays American Hand-Egg you guys probably are "world champs"

considering that nobody else plays American Hand-Egg very well you guys probably are "world champs"
Leagues by country
Main article: List of leagues of American and Canadian football
Australia ? Gridiron Australia is the overall governing body for American football in Australia. The country is actually divided into state-level leagues instead of one national-level league by itself: ACT Gridiron (Australian Capital Territory), Gridiron NSW (New South Wales), Gridiron Queensland (Queensland), South Australian Gridiron Association (South Australia), Gridiron Victoria (Victoria), and Gridiron West (Western Australia).
Belgium ? The Belgian Football League fields 16 teams. The finalists from the playoffs determine the champion during the Belgian Bowl.
Brazil ? The Brazilian American Football League has 14 teams partitioned into north and south conferences.
Finland ? The Vaahteraliiga or the Maple League has eight teams. The league's name comes from the name of the championship trophy Vaahteramalja ("Maple Bowl"), which was donated to the newly formed association by the embassy of Canada in Finland.
Germany ? The German Football League has 12 teams partitioned into north and south conferences. The finalists from the playoffs determine the German champion during the German Bowl.
Hungary ? 18 registered teams participate in the MAFL's two-division league structure. The sport has grown significantly since 2004 and with some top Division I teams participating in the CEFL.
Ireland ? The Irish American Football League consists of 14 teams. Its championship game is the Shamrock Bowl.
Israel ? Games are governed by the Israeli Football League.
Italy ? The Italian Football League was founded in 2008, taking over previous league (National Football League Italy). It has 9 teams for the 2010 season.
Japan ? The X-League is a professional league with 60 teams in four divisions, using promotion and relegation. After the post-season playoffs, the X-League champion is determined in the Japan X Bowl. There are also over 200 universities fielding teams, with the national collegiate championship determined by the Koshien Bowl. The professional and collegiate champions then face each other in the Rice Bowl to determine the national champion.
Mexico ? The ONEFA is a college league with 26 teams in 3 conferences.
New Zealand ? American Football Wellington comprises five teams located in the Wellington area.
Norway ? A rising number of teams (11 in 2010) compete in a two division league structure (division I which determines a national champion by a postseason playoff, and division 2 where newer and smaller teams are allowed to mature). Two teams (Oslo Vikings and Eidsvoll 1814s) regularly compete in either the European Football League or the EFAF Cup. Eidsvoll was the runner-up in EFAF Cup 2006.
Poland ? Games are governed by the Polish American Football League.
Serbia ? Teams in the Nacionalna Liga Srbije compete in the Serbian Bowl.
Spain ? The LNFA was founded in 1995, and currently consists of 15 clubs.
United Kingdom ? 70 amateur teams play in the BAFA Community Leagues (BAFACL) across a number of age ranges. The senior (adult) league has three levels: the Premiership, comprising six teams; Division 1, comprising 18 teams split across three regional conferences; and Division 2, comprising 23 teams split across four regional conferences. While the lower level teams have their own championship games during BritBowl Weekend, only Premier Division teams face each other in the BritBowl which is held in Worcester's Sixways Stadium. Unlike the NFL, the BAFACL season is played through the summer (April to September), with the British university season spanning the autumn and winter.

the bottom line is, IMO, to be "world champs" you should be competeing in a tournament that involves more than 1 or 2 coutries. Formula 1 crowns world champs in the same way that the Olympic gold medal winners are world champs in the same way that FIFA World Cup winners are world champs. In American Baseball we have the World Series and despite what some say about the "name being intent on world wide expansion" the name actually came from a sponcer The World Bank. Every 4 years (i think) we have the World Baseball Classic (WBC) which is a tourney between counties, this has happened twice and Japan has won both yet we still only call them the WBC Champs while we turn around and call the SF Giants the world champs. I understand the argument for [hand egg] but that point was just made void by cmb1981 in the above post.

Some will argue that the reason its ok is because we have the best players so nobody can beat us, well, that wrong. There is an old saying "thats why they play the game" meaning that even if you place the Dallas Cowboys against the Johnson High School team that the HS team could win. Some have argued that in the WBC we dont send our best players so it doesnt count and thats a terrible excuse. Imagine if Brazil lost the World Cup and FIFA said "this one doesnt count because Brazil didnt send the best they had". Its our fault we dont send the best, not Japans. on the same note the winner of the International League (AAA Baseball) is called the National Champs.

The bottom line is, we used to be the best at our 4 main sports, just as the 90's USA Basketball team, but these days things are different Just ask the 2000's USA basketball team. honestly, the only league we have that even comes close to being "world champs" is the NHL because it IS comprised of most of the best hockey players in the world (look at the olympics) and they wouldnt be caught dead using that term.

Here is the way i see it:
Super Bowl Winner: Super Bowl Champions or National Champions or even NFL Champs
World Series Winer: World Series Champs, National Champs
NHL Champs: Stanley Cup Champs
NBA: NBA Champs, National Champs

Here is the way that ESPN and 90% of the other US broadcasters see it (im looking at you Joe Buck, you fucking tard)
Super Bowl Champs: Super Bowl World Champs, World Champs
World Series: World Champs

You get the point. It makes me sick with embarrassment when im around friends from other countries and they hear that because they almost always either snicker because they know how ignorant we are or the question it beginning a great debate with the ignorant people nearby.

What about the MLB World Series? That is a true International competition.

(If you include the Toronto Blue Jays.)

What about the MLB World Series? That is a true International competition.

(If you include the Toronto Blue Jays.)

First sentence of my post:
the bottom line is, IMO, to be "world champs" you should be competeing in a tournament that involves more than 1 or 2 coutries.

I do see your point as well but its doesnt make them World Champs, Maybe North American Champs?

Sarcasm doesn't travel well through the interwebz sometimes.

I agree with you - to call your championship the "World Series" because there is one Canadian team (Whatever happened to the Montreal Expos?) is ridiculous. It's like winning your county's pie-eating contest and calling yourself a world champion competitive eater.

Sarcasm doesn't travel well through the interwebz sometimes.

I agree with you - to call your championship the "World Series" because there is one Canadian team (Whatever happened to the Montreal Expos?) is ridiculous. It's like winning your county's pie-eating contest and calling yourself a world champion competitive eater.

We actually do say that, lol. Its funny because when i bring this subject up in a room full of americans i get lynched.

Finland also has a womens american football league (full contact). Always wondered does the US and A have one of those?

One stupid thing that we do here in the US is refer to all our pro sports champions as "world champs". I fucking hate that. The term "national champs" is only reserved for college and minor league systems.

We have done that in the past, but I don't think I've heard it in the last few years, though definitely correct me if I'm wrong. I could've sworn they say "Super Bowl champs" in regards to football. Perhaps we've gotten our heads outta our asses....except for the World Series thing.

Last edited:
Leagues by country
Main article: List of leagues of American and Canadian football
Australia ? Gridiron Australia is the overall governing body for American football in Australia. The country is actually divided into state-level leagues instead of one national-level league by itself: ACT Gridiron (Australian Capital Territory), Gridiron NSW (New South Wales), Gridiron Queensland (Queensland), South Australian Gridiron Association (South Australia), Gridiron Victoria (Victoria), and Gridiron West (Western Australia).
Belgium ? The Belgian Football League fields 16 teams. The finalists from the playoffs determine the champion during the Belgian Bowl.
Brazil ? The Brazilian American Football League has 14 teams partitioned into north and south conferences.
Finland ? The Vaahteraliiga or the Maple League has eight teams. The league's name comes from the name of the championship trophy Vaahteramalja ("Maple Bowl"), which was donated to the newly formed association by the embassy of Canada in Finland.
Germany ? The German Football League has 12 teams partitioned into north and south conferences. The finalists from the playoffs determine the German champion during the German Bowl.
Hungary ? 18 registered teams participate in the MAFL's two-division league structure. The sport has grown significantly since 2004 and with some top Division I teams participating in the CEFL.
Ireland ? The Irish American Football League consists of 14 teams. Its championship game is the Shamrock Bowl.
Israel ? Games are governed by the Israeli Football League.
Italy ? The Italian Football League was founded in 2008, taking over previous league (National Football League Italy). It has 9 teams for the 2010 season.
Japan ? The X-League is a professional league with 60 teams in four divisions, using promotion and relegation. After the post-season playoffs, the X-League champion is determined in the Japan X Bowl. There are also over 200 universities fielding teams, with the national collegiate championship determined by the Koshien Bowl. The professional and collegiate champions then face each other in the Rice Bowl to determine the national champion.
Mexico ? The ONEFA is a college league with 26 teams in 3 conferences.
New Zealand ? American Football Wellington comprises five teams located in the Wellington area.
Norway ? A rising number of teams (11 in 2010) compete in a two division league structure (division I which determines a national champion by a postseason playoff, and division 2 where newer and smaller teams are allowed to mature). Two teams (Oslo Vikings and Eidsvoll 1814s) regularly compete in either the European Football League or the EFAF Cup. Eidsvoll was the runner-up in EFAF Cup 2006.
Poland ? Games are governed by the Polish American Football League.
Serbia ? Teams in the Nacionalna Liga Srbije compete in the Serbian Bowl.
Spain ? The LNFA was founded in 1995, and currently consists of 15 clubs.
United Kingdom ? 70 amateur teams play in the BAFA Community Leagues (BAFACL) across a number of age ranges. The senior (adult) league has three levels: the Premiership, comprising six teams; Division 1, comprising 18 teams split across three regional conferences; and Division 2, comprising 23 teams split across four regional conferences. While the lower level teams have their own championship games during BritBowl Weekend, only Premier Division teams face each other in the BritBowl which is held in Worcester's Sixways Stadium. Unlike the NFL, the BAFACL season is played through the summer (April to September), with the British university season spanning the autumn and winter.

So apart from Japan, Mexico and the UK, each country has roughly 10 teams?

How many teams exist in USA? 100s I'm sure. It's hardly a world championship.

America = The World (to some Americans). Have you seen their World News, consists of an American stubbed his toe in Spain today - to be medivaced home. In other world news the Cardinals have a new foreign kicker, etc. ...

So apart from Japan, Mexico and the UK, each country has roughly 10 teams?

How many teams exist in USA? 100s I'm sure. It's hardly a world championship.
I have no doubt the Green Bay Packers were in fact the best American football team in the world last year, but calling yourself world champions without winning a world competition is lame.
Perhaps you should read my other post.

Last edited:
We have done that in the past, but I don't think I've heard it in the last few years, though definitely correct me if I'm wrong. I could've sworn they say "Super Bowl champs" in regards to football. Perhaps we've gotten our heads outta our asses....except for the World Series thing.

Watch the MLB Network, i love those guys but Matt Vascurgen does it atleast 10 times a night alone. Its how he refers to the giants or any past champs.