Americanisms

Some fat bird TV chef has diabetes, inventor of this.

article-2086500-0F73C99F00000578-802_468x351.jpg

Which led me to youtube and, well...

I mean Nigella goes overboard, but fuck me. How is this show on the air?

article-2086500-0F73C99F00000578-802_468x351.jpg

So that's what they look like before being deep fried. :p

Because it's Paula FUCKING Dean, and she makes some good shit, that's why.

Though to be fair, the mere mention of that woman's name causes my arteries to clog.

Also, it's on Food Network, an entire channel dedicated to cooking.

Some fat bird TV chef has diabetes, inventor of this.

No those were invented LONG before she got a TV show.

I know a few people who watch her show out of sheer fascination/horror.

http://img840.imageshack.**/img840/8105/accents1.png
http://img256.imageshack.**/img256/3013/accents2.png

Nearly half of Americans believe God created mankind in a single day about 10,000 years ago, a literal interpretation of the Bible, according to a new survey that shows the view toward evolution in the United States hasn't changed in 30 years.About 46 percent of people say creationism explains the origin of humans. Just 15 percent say humans evolved without the assistance of God, a Gallup poll finds.

The new data reveals that more Americans think President Barack Obama is a Muslim than believe in the theory of evolution. More Americans also believe in witches with magical powers, too.

About 32 percent of Americans believe in so-called 'Intelligent Design' -- the concept that God guided the evolution of mankind.
In all, 78 percent say God played a role in the development of the human race.

The number of creationists has actually gone up since Gallup began conducting the survey in 1982.
Back then, 44 percent of Americans said God created mankind all at once. About 82 percent believed God played some role.
While more Republicans believe in creationism than Democrats or independents, the issue seems to be nonpartisan. Members of both political parties reported more creationists than people who believe in intelligent design or evolution.

About 58 percent of Republicans, 41 percent of Democrats and 39 percent of independents say God made mankind.
Independents and Democrats were tied with 19 percent believing in evolution. Just five percent of Republicans believed in the scientific theory.
Unsurprisingly, the more frequently someone goes to church, the more likely they are to believe in creationism -- 67 percent for those who go to services every week.
The 15 percent of evolution supporters, who have the backing of the scientific community, are outnumbered by Americans who believe Obama is a Muslim, 16 percent.
More Americans also believe in witches, 21 percent, according to a separate Gallup poll. Three quarters said they believed in some kind of supernatural or paranormal activity.

The survey was conducted on a random sample of more than 1,000 adults by phone in all 50 states.
Gallup pol

Linky

Last edited:
These percentages are based on a sampling of 0.0003% of the population. And only includes those that were willing to answer a survey conducted by cold calling.

In other words those whose lives are so empty that they will jump at the chance to share their beliefs with a complete stranger who calls up out of the blue? Think that might skew the data just a teensy-weensy bit.

The article needs to have "jobless/housebound/retired" before every instance of "Americans" to stand a chance of being remotely accurate.

These percentages are based on a sampling of 0.0003% of the population. And only includes those that were willing to answer a survey conducted by cold calling.

Gallup knows how to do polls and has a good track record. You don't need a huge sampling to be accurate; you do need to be smart about it which they are.

Perhaps, but I do think it takes a certain personality type to take a survey from a cold call. Especially on a cell phone, which is likely either charged per minute or on a minute-based plan.

I wonder who is more ignorant, the people who were polled or the ones who think the results were not skewed to find results that make news fit. :roll:

Not even my ultra religious evangelical parents believe in the world being created in seven days, or that it is 10,000 years old.

Perhaps, but I do think it takes a certain personality type to take a survey from a cold call. Especially on a cell phone, which is likely either charged per minute or on a minute-based plan.

Say what you will, but they have missed I believe only two or three presidential elections since the 50s.

I wonder who is more ignorant, the people who were polled or the ones who think the results were not skewed to find results that make news fit. :roll:

Not even my ultra religious evangelical parents believe in the world being created in seven days, or that it is 10,000 years old.

Actually biblical chronology puts the world at a whisker over 6000 years old (October 23rd, 4004BC for the start of creation of memory serves) and we've got bog oaks older than that for crying out loud. But then I'm guessing those who actually believe that would have a hard time spelling the word "allegorical" let alone beginning to comprehend its meaning.

1-2 thousand people is all that is needed to accurately represent the US population, if sampled correctly. All Gallup/Pew/etc polls are done with this size because that is all that is needed.

Perhaps, but I do think it takes a certain personality type to take a survey from a cold call. .

I admit that when home sometimes and bored out of my freaking mind, I've been known to do the surveys.

With the crap that I make up, I'm sure I've personally skewed many a so called "Scientific Poll". :p

My only peeve with the UK is why terrible tasting food is so expensive.

My only peeve with the UK is why terrible tasting food is so expensive.

Different culture.

In the UK it's the supermarkets who command the buying power as people cook/eat at home most of the time and eating out is a treat so the catering business has higher overheads per head and pays a relatively high price for raw ingredients plus real estate costs are significantly higher in most place. In the US eating out/takeaway/fastfood is much more the norm so the food industry has more clout and much more space means real estate overheads are much lower.

When I have cooked for friends in the US I have been staggered at how much raw ingredients cost in supermarkets relative to everything else and over here. Most things in the US are cheaper (something ?10 over here is usually around $10 over there so with typical exchange rates 1/3 to 40% cheaper) but when I've bought good ingredients in supermarkets they have been the same price when converted and in some cases quite a bit more. Only the convenience foods in supermarkets tend to be cheaper but fresh meat, fish, fruit, veg and dairy (bar milk) is pretty pricey.

Also you need to get to know a place in the UK to find out where is best to eat without getting ripped off. I'm going to an Italian place on Saturday that is one of the best value places in town but serves the best pizza (authentic Italian) I've tasted outside of Naples.

Last edited:
I was watching Let's blow shit up Mythbusters the other day and noticed that solder is pronounced sodder. Another weird language divergence.