Americans: Any Memorial weekend plans?

Jay

the fool on the hill
About the only thing I am doing is going to a large car show near me Saturday.

I think I'm going to drive around in my fullsize truck blasting Lynyrd Skynyrd. :)

I think I'm going to grill some tasty cow.

I plan on hitting up some local car shows and going on a nice long bike trip since this will be the first properly warm weekend of this year. Lots of grilled animal parts will be consumed as well.

I'm going to watch the new Indiana Jones tonight and do calculus tomorrow!

Going to a beach 5 minutes from Atlantic City all weekend, for free. Oh yeah. :cool:

Oh snap! I just realized the Indy 500 is Sunday. Hopefully they'll get to race without the traditional rain delay. The Indy 500 and Monaco Grand Prix in the same day. Awesome! :thumbsup:

I just realized yesterday that it was Memorial Day weekend. Shows how busy I've been writing PHP code......and out of touch with everything else :lol:

i'm not an american so forgive my question...what is memorial weekend? what are you honnoring?

^ Isn't it rather obvious? It commemorates the achievements of the members of the US armed forces. It's pretty much like Remembrance Day for us Commonwealth people.

I was supposed to come down to California and Texas for a family reunion but I can't go, so I will be spending your Memorial weekend at home by myself, depressed.

Route 59 car show at Calvary Church, corner of 59 and Montgomery road.

Nice. I just noticed this one on another forum...
May20thShow24-2.jpg

^ Isn't it rather obvious? It commemorates the achievements of the members of the US armed forces.

It's not really about the achievements of the military. The day is to remember and honor who have died in military service.

"Many people observe this holiday by visiting cemeteries and memorials.......In addition to national observances, many individual communities hold memorial observance for fallen soldiers who were from that town by having a ceremony in a church or town memorial park. It is also common for fire and police departments to remember and honor members lost in the line of duty. Towns often hold a memorial day parade to remember those people. Participation in such a parade is by community organizations such as members of the local emergency services and their vehicles, Rotary Clubs, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and bands from the local high school or church groups. Communities may also hold a town-wide picnic barbecue at a local park in which the whole town is invited to attend.

In addition to remembrance, Memorial Day is also a time for picnics, barbecues, family gatherings, and sporting events. One of the longest standing traditions is the running of the Indianapolis 500, which has been held in conjunction with Memorial Day since 1911. Some Americans also view Memorial Day as the unofficial beginning of summer and Labor Day as the unofficial end of the season."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_day

Last edited:
^ Yeah, that's what I meant.

Why do you guys celebrate it in May anyway? We have Remembrance Day on November 11, which is the day of the armistice that ended WWI.

I really don't know why it's on that specific date. I do know that it started after the Civil War to remember the fallen Union soldiers.

EDIT:

Ahh, here you go, learned some stuff too :)

"On June 28, 1968, the United States Congress passed the Uniform Holidays Bill, which moved three holidays from their traditional dates to a specified Monday in order to create a convenient three-day weekend and for the first time recognized Columbus Day as a federal holiday. The holidays included Washington's Birthday (which evolved into Presidents' Day), Veterans Day, and Memorial Day. The change moved Memorial Day from its traditional May 30 date to the last Monday in May. The law took effect at the federal level in 1971 . After some initial confusion and unwillingness to comply at the state level, all fifty states adopted the measure within a few years, although Veterans Day was eventually changed back to its traditional date. Ironically, most corporate businesses no longer close on Columbus Day or Veterans Day, and an increasing number are staying open on President's Day as well. Memorial Day, however, has endured as one holiday during which most businesses stay closed because it marks the beginning of the "summer vacation season," as does neighboring Canada's Victoria Day, which occurs on the prior Monday."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_day

Last edited:
^ Isn't it rather obvious? It commemorates the achievements of the members of the US armed forces. It's pretty much like Remembrance Day for us Commonwealth people.

well obvious is a big word...do you know why we celebrate "bevrijdings dag"?
geuss not, i don't know that stuff about the states, thats why i asked...

well thanks for the info anyway, now i know at least :cool:

Last edited:
^ Sorry, I didn't mean to sound condescending. I just figured there would only be one thing that would deserve it's own memorial holiday.

I guess it's a different matter if your TV doesn't constantly advertise you holiday sales for a different country. :p