America's high performance luxury cars

niteriyder said:
actually the Seville STS was not a bad car during its time. In fact it was one of the few
4-door luxury cars to exceed the 300hp mark in the early 90s. The Northstar was an instant hit and was considered to be on of the greatest production engines ever. IT somewhat stands true today, the second generation Northstar DOHC V8 has variable valve timing which is a production first.
you realize that a 300hp FWD whale isnt exactly very impressive, to me anyway.

It should impress because engineers thoguht that 250hp was pushing the boundries. However GM proved that then and does so today that it is indeed possible.

It wasn't you're typical FWD high output V8 brusier, it didnt suffer from torque steer either. But then again I can see why it wouldn't impress.

FWD blows :mrgreen:

it might not have suffered from torque steer that much because of the weight that keeps the tires sticking to the road.....downside is that weight also = slow

p0w3r said:
it might not have suffered from torque steer that much because of the weight that keeps the tires sticking to the road.....downside is that weight also = slow

My 94 STS was anything but slow, it was adequate off the line but hauled major ass at the top of 2nd and on so on...I was eating up 350Zs as well as GT Mustangs like lunch on the highway. Nothing to brag about, but when your in something that big it makes it all the more fun seeing their faces when I handed them their asses LOL Fun car, lots of personality, had a lot of love for the car?unfortunately It was totaled on the way to school this past June when some idiot sideswiped my ass on a freeway off-ramp? :(

The heart of this boat was a 4.6L DOHC V8 that pushed 300hp and 295 ft lbs of TQ..back in 1994 that was impressive to me!

RIP girl
http://img224.imageshack.**/img224/3929/dd92ny.png

300 out of a 4.6 Was impressive indeed. BMW's 4.4 had what.. 282 hp. Looks like american engines werent as far behind in litters to hp as all say..

I was thinking about buying a sts a couple months ago. Not a bad car I must say. Ended up buying a 70's german money pit though.. heh.

Ford made an engine back in the day for Lincoln, a 4.6L 32V V-8 (290HP). It was put in the Mark VIII and then transplanted to the Mustang Cobra.

cvg said:
Ford made an engine back in the day for Lincoln, a 4.6L 32V V-8 (290HP). It was put in the Mark VIII and then transplanted to the Mustang Cobra.

too bad all the Mark series of Lincolns looked like garbage :lol:

the interior of the cheaper one looks much better than the 100k

r u sure u didn't mixed up the pic ??

dun like the styling...too boxy

love the rims of the coupe :thumbsup:

niteriyder said:
actually the Seville STS was not a bad car during its time. In fact it was one of the few
4-door luxury cars to exceed the 300hp mark in the early 90s. The Northstar was an instant hit and was considered to be on of the greatest production engines ever. IT somewhat stands true today, the second generation Northstar DOHC V8 has variable valve timing which is a production first.

mmmm, i think honda was the first to use variable valve timing in the '89 civic....

when did GM/Caddy introduce it? BMW and Porsche were both using it in the early to mid '90s (VANOS and VarioCam)

A Cadillac V-series and a .....Ford Focus ( :p ) are the only american cars I'd ever buy. I love the CTS-V. STS and the other one (forgot the name, lol) seem awesome, too.

sandor_ said:
niteriyder said:

mmmm, i think honda was the first to use variable valve timing in the '89 civic....

when did GM/Caddy introduce it? BMW and Porsche were both using it in the early to mid '90s (VANOS and VarioCam)

Sorry let em clarify, first variable valve timing system in any production V8 ;)

niteriyder said:

It was the first American production car to offer HID headlamps (in 1996). The styling was ho-hum, but you can make that car into a sleeper.

sandor_ said:

On a v8? I know they did it on the i6 for the m50 in 92, but for a v8 i thought it wasn't untill 98 when it was added to the m62b44 of the 540 and 740

cvg said:
niteriyder said:

It was the first American production car to offer HID headlamps (in 1996). The styling was ho-hum, but you can make that car into a sleeper.
why would you want to?

niteriyder said:
sandor_ said:
niteriyder said:

Sorry let em clarify, first variable valve timing system in any production V8 ;)

position clarified :)

Could that car be any uglier?

317466_16.jpg

although they were RWD so

this is the Mark 7, the only decent one, not saying much since they were all crap technically

lincoln-mark-viincoln-mark-vii-02.jpg

Trans-Am Mid-Ohio 1985
Mid-Ohio-1985-07-14-032.jpg

You're posting pics of Gen-1 Mark VIIIs. Here are some pics of the Gen-2 Mark VIII

97_lincoln_mark_viii-3.jpg

97_lincoln_mark_viii-1.jpg

97_lincoln_mark_viii_int.jpg