AMG Boss: "The horsepower wars are over."

Translation: Next gen models will have 12 more horsepower and weigh 30 kg less. ;)

And cost $25000 more, in addition to being called the "Neutronium Black Edition" to distinguish them from the "Black Edition".

As for everyone mentioning lighter weight being better for the track, here's a prime example:
Big Ferrari F40 can't shake this Lotus Elise
[YOUTUBE]B4H3ucr_MIA[/YOUTUBE]

What a pudding of a driver. Both of them. The only difference is the Lotus had better lines and was A LOT more respectable in traffic.

Actually that?s a prime example of skill vs power (and how traffic on a track slows down the fastest cars) not why light is better. You can see the F40 driver uses rather bad lines etc and the Lotus driver does good ones. The F40 has 430bhp per Ton, while the Elise has (if you calculate with the most powerful eninge) 250bhp per Ton.

Using the "big F40" as an example is not right because for a 470hp Hypercar it is actually very, very light at 1,1t and has excellent hp/t figures.

X2

And that Elise does not sound stock , and you can see in the film , several catheram?s and none of them can keep up with the F40

F40 - Avarage Driver , Stock car
Elise - Good Driver , tuned car

And the elise did not said goodbye to the F40 because of the damp track conditions

And i say in yet another thread: Why is straight line performance (the real point of horsepower wars) considered irrelevant when its used more in the real world than the ability of the body to resist twisting force?

kak man, horsepower war is probably the only time where Mercedes shines when compared to BMW, Audi and the rest. Straight line performance plus luxury, exactly what rich ppl wants, the ultimate cruiser.

Big engine, auto slush box, boat like ride and handling has always been typical Mercedes characteristics, I don't see why they are stopping the horsepower war.

Weight saving and good handling was never part of the Mercedes/AMG package that attracted their customers.

And i say in yet another thread: Why is straight line performance (the real point of horsepower wars) considered irrelevant when its used more in the real world than the ability of the body to resist twisting force?

It's not irrelevant, it's just that the German horsepower race was just becoming ridiculous. If you think about it, 500HP what you would find in a potent super car a few years ago. Nowadays, you can find actual production sedans that have more power than that. It's just that no one really needed that much power, as it was pretty much useless in normal conditions. Also, your M5s and RS6s and CL55s are all limited to 155 MPH anyways (though how it reaches that sort of speed is amazing to say the least).

Last edited:

The ability of the body to resist twisting force is used every time you drive over an imperfection.

another thing : if the horsepower war is over, does this mean Mercedes will stop making cars with ridiculously large wheelarches? I saw a new AMG SL the other day, and the bulging wheels were so big it looked like a ricer did them...

please go back to ridiculously powerful but UNDERSTATED please Merc

The EU has decided to reign in the HP war, so the car makers must comply.

People may want more and more powerful engines but new legislation states that by 2012 all new cars should produce around 120 g/km carbon dioxide ( http://ec.europa.eu/reducing_co2_emissions_from_cars/index_en.htm ).

A sign of the times I'm afraid, so manufacturers will start doing things like cutting the weight of cars to improve performance rather than more powerful engines.

Because many markets use the "cloverleaf" on-ramp/off ramp setup for the freeways. I rather enjoy being able to take on-ramps at nearly 3x the posted limit and still have grip left over. Oh and having the capacity to PUT that power down safely is more important than having the power. Just check youtube for things like "retard at street races" or "corvette burnout" and see how many idiots slam into walls.

Having massive engines that suck down fuel even at slow cruising speeds (what most people spend most of their time on) is far less relevant as well.