An American presenter on TG - discuss

all i want top gear to do is more reviews. they can do them in interesting and humorous ways, which is what made the show so popular in the first place.

they dont need an american.

if they need anything they need an australian. a segment with some redneck from the outlands of oz would be hillarious. speaking of which TG should go to oz sometime.

Some people just don't get it do they? TG works because and only because of the presenter line-up. change it and you lose everything.

I agree with you though, mitchellknight, a visit to Australia would be very good. It's something I've actually expected from them in recent years, so it wouldn't surprise me.

think how bad it would be if they did an 'american version' of Top Gear like they seem to do with every other programme invented here. like they did with The Office for example. :|

there is an american version of TG on the science channel here in the states. Basically they just pull clips of car tests from other episodes and tie em together with stuff they shoot on the studio for the american audience. Its ok but not near as good. I like the american version of the office, i think they are both equally funny. plus i love Steve Carell.

i think theyre better off if they keep the cast all british. like a few others have mentioned, clarkson hates americans and may and hammond only seem to be fond of "american mondernists" (californians). i found myself very excited at the thought of sabina as a new potential host, but then i remembered, the hosts hate the germans too. :)

It could be funny with an American, but the trouble is, it would have to be the right American, and a whole lot of work for a limited improvement (and a lot of risk of screwing things up).

Besides, it would involve reminding the British that their car industry has been taken over by the Germans, that their roads suck, and that they have a government that bones them fuel taxes.

And we'd have to dress Hammond in all black and name him Lucas -- Prince of Darkness.

:)

Steve

An American would ruin the chemistry between the trio because of his American accent. Clarkson and Co.'s humor work because of their English accents. Like with all other languages, the English accent is the best accent for conversing in English.

FFS, its a fucking English show for English viewers which isn't even shown in America, there is no way in hell there should be or will be an American presenter and, if, for some ungodly reason there was, people would definitely tune out! It's boring enough reading some people on here moaning about anything against America, such as the GT500 *sob:cry: sob* not getting a "fair review" and TG "lieing":rolleyes: about power :? Bottom line, it should never happen!

That's a bomb blast from you..

In fairness, the dyno test of the GT500 WAS faulty. And there is a lot of prejudice against yank cars.

As for those who complain about that, I think it's fair enough, it's their right.

But to continue, I do think Americans are a bit.. touchy, when it comes to the reviews. Many Americans react on every little detail, I never saw Koreans going mad over the pacific rim episode, for instance.

Oh, you have not yet begun to scratch the surface as to how touchy some Americans can get. I'm surprised the BBC has not been sued for a ridiculous amount of money over some idiotic charge. THAT is how touchy America can sometimes get. That is the public. The government would launch a useless war against the country, and continue fighting, while creating excuses to stay in there.

Last edited:
Why do Americans feel the need to ruin everything that is any good from the UK!?!

It's been happened for as long as I can remember. I'm still reeling from that abortion that the Americans call 'The Office'. I don't think I can handle the idea of an American presenter on TG. :mad:

The OP should be beaten severely with a sack full of old Rover gearstick knobs for even thinking that an American on TG could even possibly be a good idea ..

I hope they do get an American presenter on there, because it would annoy some people here so much.

I'd prefer the guy who does the Russian voiceovers. Keep the lads, if it ain't broke!....

The more I read in this thread, the more I came to the same conclusion.

It would never happen, though. Clarkson isn't likely to allow an intelligent American with real car knowledge on TG.

On that note, Clarkson needs to stop trying to explain the technical details of cars. Especially turbo cars. He obviously has a very limited understanding of the components and their functions.

Of course it will never happen. Top Gear is a BRITISH show made by the BBC for the BRITISH audience.

Of course it will never happen. Top Gear is a BRITISH show made by the BBC for the BRITISH audience.

Things change and programs grow into different markets. There's no reason to believe that the current Top Gear format or broadcast range will remain until the end of time.

Is this the American way of thinking?? "Oh look, another country has made a brilliant TV show. Quick, lets put an American on it so that we can take some credit for it". Not all programs have to have an American in them. Infact I dont think that an Aussie, or a Frenchman, or a German, or a Canadian, or a New Zealander.... will ever host Top Gear, because it's BRITISH!!

You're really putting way too much emotion into this. Maybe you should calm down for a minute.

It isn't about nationalizing or taking credit for anything. It's about making the show enjoyable and feasible around the world for the general viewing public. That means adapting the show to fit new markets. Such is the price you pay when you grow.

The fact is that Top Gear is now widely viewed in a variety of different countries. Sooner or later, regardless of whether or not you like it, things will begin to evolve because of this.

You are missing the point totally.

It's a British show that is made for the British people, that happens to screen on a British cable channel (BBC World) and that is available for downloading. Its not a British show that is made for the world. Im an Australian, and I don't know who most of the guests are that they have on, or half the locations they visit in the UK, but Im not about to jump up and down and suggest that they change the format so that I can understand everything. Its a British show and always will be.

To other people out there on this thread, am I correct in what I say here or not??

To other people out there on this thread, am I correct in what I say here or not??

Yes.

I'd go so far as to say the whole point of this show is that it remain a "pokey British motoring show." Part of what makes the world so much fun is that everyone's different. This showcases a distinctly British point of view. And that is absolutely fine with me - despite the fact that I live on a different continent.

What would adding an American presenter add to the show?

One would argue "an American perspective."

That's not its mandate. It's a show, made in Britain, on British tax money, for a British audience. By accident, its current incarnation seems to have a broader appeal than originally supposed, primarily because the presenters are intelligent, personable and remarkably funny.

Just because it found a broader audience by accident doesn't mean it should now be modified to appeal to an even broader one.

You can't be "correct", and you can't be wrong. It's all a matter of sharing ideas and opinions.

[:clarkson:]Wrong! You're wrong, so very wrong. [/ :clarkson:]

HondaF1 is indeed correct.

Most of the cars features on TG aren't even available here, and a lot of our cars never get anywhere near they test track
[...]
Nevermind that I've never heard of (or just flat-out don't care about) 90% of their guests.

The solution to these problems is not found in adding an American presenter - what this thread is actually about.

Though... overhauling the American car manufacturing industry might. :p 8)

Or, if it really bothers you as much as it seems to have (given that you take pains to point it out in your post) you could find a solution in, I don't know... possibly watching some of the quality British programming that does get through to the States, or listening to some British recording artists or even maybe reading the odd UK paper.

I actually do enjoy seeing them drive around Europe. My first vacation after graduating will be spent touring Europe on a sportbike.

<_< ...and?

but Im not about to jump up and down and suggest that they change the format so that I can understand everything.

Agree. I am from China. The reason I love TG is because it displays typical British culture, which makes it very special. I think the show would lose its appeal for internationl audience if it were deliberately adapted for the international market.

P.S. I did watched both the British and American version of the Office. Basically the first two American versions were very bad by imitating the British.But from there on it has found its identity to show its own style. But overall I still rate the British version over the American.