Unverified Ownership An Inevitable Conclusion - 2012 Mazda MX-5 Kuro Roadster with 2-Rittoru

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
2012 MX-5 Kuro PRHT, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
The @lip reaction is the best part about getting a different car. :ROFLMAO:

Turns out even one sensible car of two is one too many for me.

• Haha
Reactions: lip

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
I wasn't supposed to be going out driving Elly today. However, I forgot to order the bits I needed to replace the wheel bearing on the bobtail and it was such a nice day it was a shame to waste it. I dusted off one of the routes I set out for the Smart in February 2019 and set off to run it in reverse. After last week I wanted to avoid the sunset shining directly in my eye holes so went anti-clockwise to hopefully have the sun behind me when returning home. It worked too.

Naturally, I stopped to take pictures.

I also recorded a video, I never did a walk around of the Tesla and it took me ages to show the Smart so I wanted to get it done. The location I accidentally found was ideal and made for a nice background. Someone was buggering around with an old car or something in the background.

I've covered about 135 miles since it was dropped off now, really getting to know it and I love the way it handles. I managed to break the screw holding my phone mount together last week and haven't fixed it yet, so I had to find another way to mount my phone while using the navigation. Very fortunately, it wedges in here perfectly. Used another phone to take this, reminds me how crappy cameras are on some phones. In the two hours I had the screen on with Google Maps open it only used 30% of the battery.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Had my first concerning moment with this car on Friday. My sister was down for the day so was going to take her for a ride in Elly, however when I turned the key to start it everything went off. I did 70+ miles last week so it's unlikely that the battery was dead already.

Opened the bonnet, removed the battery cover (which has a hose clipped to it, strange) and noticed that as I did it the positive terminal on the battery was crackling. The interior light came back on. Seems like someone took the connections off this battery and didn't put them back on properly, the fact that the battery wasn't clamped down properly (neither hockey stick hook thingy was hooked under the bottom of the battery box as it should be) increased my suspicion. I removed the negative terminal, re-set the positive, re-attached the negative and then clamped the battery back down properly and everything was fine.

I noticed a couple of tiny rust spots on the inside of the boot lid, both on spot welds, so I put some evapo-rust gel on there to see how that deals with it. Crappy picture of one as an example:

The boot lock striker is a bit rusty too for some reason, I've daubed some gel on that too but I'll either remove it and properly soak in Evapo-rust before painting or I'll just buy a replacement.

Otherwise the car is perfect. I've been testing and modifying my old Bluetooth adapter module that I made for the Smart so I can try it in the Mazda, will see how it works. I did manage to pull a stupid today when visiting my work office and put my car park pass card in the cupholder, it's now wedged inside the cup holder lid so the lid won't open. Hopefully I can get it with a screwdriver...

lip

Car(s)
Audi S6 V10 wagon
^ Haha, it's like the kitchen drawer problem when one utensil wedges itself against the upper front, refusing to budge. :ROFLMAO:

If I wasn't such a practial (wagon) guy I would drive a MX-5 like this. - There, I said it. - It's a cool car. Period.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2021 Mini Cooper S
I did manage to pull a stupid today when visiting my work office and put my car park pass card in the cupholder, it's now wedged inside the cup holder lid so the lid won't open. Hopefully I can get it with a screwdriver...
Good luck! There's a way to remove the cupholder "bucket" from the center console from underneath, but to get to that you have to be able to remove the center console, and there's a couple of screws holding it down under the little rubber "floor" of the cupholders. You may be able to remove the panel at the back of the console, pop out those screws, and give the console a bit of a jiggle to see if you can free the lid.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Good luck! There's a way to remove the cupholder "bucket" from the center console from underneath, but to get to that you have to be able to remove the center console, and there's a couple of screws holding it down under the little rubber "floor" of the cupholders. You may be able to remove the panel at the back of the console, pop out those screws, and give the console a bit of a jiggle to see if you can free the lid.
Thanks, hoping I can get a cable tie in there (I have some really big ones) to just slip between the card and the lid and hold the card down so I can open the lid, taking it apart doesn't seem too troublesome but I'd rather not do it if I can help it. That's a weekend job anyway.

I had a look at the spots where I had put some rust remover gel on and it's done a great job, the rust is gone. I'm going to get primer and paint touch-up pens from a supplier online that has the correct Crystal White Pearl and just touch it up to stop any more rust. As I can get to the back of that panel through the holes on the inside of the boot lid It's tempting to get some anti-rust wax and spray it inside, just in case it's a moisture trap area.

Anyway, Blipshift had a sale on recently with a bunch of older designs. I had a $15 voucher to use after the last shirt I bought came out crappy, so naturally as soon as that had this design for sale I jumped on it. Looks really good on a tri-blend.
roadstar-insta_grande.png

Proper Miata club member now, although I still don't like anime. I do like stopping on gravel at the side of the road to put the roof down (even at night if it's dry), so I can spray gravel when I leave. I'm wondering if this thing has been tuned, it feels a lot more eager than I expected and likes to chirp the rear tyres.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2021 Mini Cooper S

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
You may want to give this a bit of a read, too: http://www.roadster.blog/2013/05/roadster-engines.html The bit on the VIS valves had me driving high-revs for about a week just for the noise.
Thanks, that's a really interesting read. I don't need another reason to rev it to the top end when warm because it's just so much fun but it's really interesting to see how it works. Also handy to see exactly where the the intake is in case I come across any floods.

Roadster.blog is just a great site overall, it's where I first read about the Kuro edition and naturally they have a page dedicated to it. I just bought copies of those brochures, mint condition from 2012. I bought the brochures for the Smart so I thought why not?