And the best British restaurant outside the UK is... wait, where I live?

JohnnyRacer

While I haven't been there yet, I've heard good things. I always figured it wasn't really British as most themed places like it never really are.

The Telegraph says it's the best, right here in nearly the center of the US. Who knew?

Dining at Farmers Gastropub gives you the very Best of British in the Midwest USA, from the Authentic fish & chips, home made sausages in the Bangers & Mash and curry with fresh naan, to the Duck confit, Bison Wellington or trout almondine followed by house made chocolate gateau, creme brulee or bread pudding.

The fresh ingredients sourced locally from small farmers and producers or from natural and sustainable sources like our fresh line caught Haddock or wild caught Alaskan Salmon ensure you a meal to remember. Eating at the bar, in a booth, at a high party table or out on the patio you are assured great food great service a great selection of beers, wines and spirits and a great time.

http://expatdirectory.telegraph.co.uk/united-states/springfield-missouri-65806/farmers-gastropub/

Looking at the menu from the site, it looks pretty spot on from what I know.

http://farmersgastropub.com/

I will be heading there sometime this week I hope. I shall then report my findings. I'm really excited for this.

I went tonight and I have to say, it was fantastic. The atmosphere, inviting staff, and the food were all great. The menu had some great choices from burgers to more traditional items like bangers and mash. Tonight was German night. They had jagerschnitzel on special. With each selection, it had a suggested beer which would pare well with the meal.

I had pastry wrapped bangers (Lincolnshire sausage) as an appetizer, Fish and Chips for dinner, and bread pudding as my dessert.

The bangers were absolutely delicious. The pastry was perfectly baked and the meat inside had a fantastic flavor. I can see it being a breakfast or dinner sausage.

The fish was very fresh tasting. I don't know where they get their fish from, but it was some of the best I've had. The breading had a great crisp, but didn't overpower the flavor of the fish.

photobucket-7668-1329960830344.jpg

The bread pudding was okay. It had raisins and chocolate chips in it. I wasn't crazy about it. Minus the raisins, I think I would have enjoyed it more.

I didn't have any beer. I don't like to have anything to drink if I'm driving. But, they had a great selection. And you can have some of them non-refrigerated! A nice touch.

So, yes, if you're ever in the part of the world, go there! I know I will be going again very soon.

Last edited:
I don't wanna sound snobbish but frankly that looks like something you can get from every deep-fryer around the corner in a snack stand here...

Was Spotted Dick on the menu with (hot) custard? Or chocolate steamed pudding with chocolate sauce? Whistful - Cobol74 remembers school food. ...

Thats not fish and chips, for one it's breaded. <_< The chips are too thin
Mushy peas look good.

God damn it, I feel like fish and chips. At least it is pretty common here.

I don't wanna sound snobbish but frankly that looks like something you can get from every deep-fryer around the corner in a snack stand here...

Just be cool, nod and smile. You don't have to say all that... OP says he went there, tried it, thought it was great, no need to sh** all over his opinion.

Reactions: MWF

:rolleyes: Well you're the expert on deep-fried, obviously. Or did you make the startling discovery of salad since the last Ringmeet?

Yeah, I know, that was a dick comment but I'm having a crap week and thought you might want to know how it felt to be on the receiving end.

Just be cool, nod and smile. You don't have to say all that... OP says he went there, tried it, thought it was great, no need to sh** all over his opinion.

Exactly. I've enjoyed American-influenced food here many times and enjoyed it. Sure, in the main it's better and more authentic there just as British food is here. Doesn't make it bad or my opinion wrong.

And I'm willing to bet the Yanks manage a much better take on Britscher foot zan ze Germanssss!

You vill enjoy ziss Fischundgebratenkartoffelmitbeiigerbsenundtomatensoze oder ist kooler zree veeks for you, Englander!!!!!

And just to set the record straight I've enjoyed German food in the main when I've been there too.

In my case in moderation. :D

Last edited:
Battered. In a good place beer batter made literally from plain flour and beer whisked together. It's our equivalent of tempura batter. Looks like this...

porters%20restaurant%20beer%20battered%20cod%20and%20chips%20.jpg

While discussing UK food: why do you always have to cut the chips so thick that it's all fluffy inside but with a soggy exterior? Not too many places to great chips, atleast in my experience.

I wonder where they can get really good fish (for fish and chips) that far away from the oceans? Fish and Chips are to die for ... when the fish is fresh (as in "was in the ocean a day ago"). When the fish spend a couple of days on ice, it?s mediocre. Any Fishfarms in Springfield Missouri?

I don't know where OP's restaurant gets their fish from, but there's plenty of fish farms and fishing lakes /reservoirs in the midwest.

Sounds like a good place, I recognise everything listed and the fish & chips looks pretty good to me. :)

Lincolnshire sausages are superb too, I don't think they can be beaten for taste.

The fish in Fish and Chips always battered and not breaded (Although possible to get) and is always Cod or Haddock (If one is poor Huss/Rock Salmon which is, of course, Dog fish and disgusting) the mushy peas are a Northern thing you get proper peas down here. Oh and pickled eggs, gherkins, scratchings, Jamica Patties - yum.

Best F&C is Scotland or Yorkshire normally, in my experience. Right, Bangers there are very many different versions but are distinct from Franks, the mash is special too - must be the correct (I know not which but I use Maris Pipers which are OK) variety.

The key is the pudding to a British Lunch really.

Last edited:
Best British restaurant around here is Feast. Okay, so it is technically described as Rustic European, but chef/owners are Brits and the food is reflective of their heritage and traditions. Go at lunch and it's $16 for two courses, $19 for three. Add a couple of glasses of wine and you are out the door for $60 (tax and tip included), no need for dinner.

The fish in Fish and Chips always battered and not breaded (Although possible to get) and is always Cod or Haddock (If one is poor Huss/Rock Salmon which is, of course, Dog fish and disgusting) the mushy peas are a Northern thing you get proper peas down here. Oh and pickled eggs, gherkins, scratchings, Jamica Patties - yum.

Best F&C is Scotland or Yorkshire normally, in my experience. Right, Bangers there are very many different versions but are distinct from Franks, the mash is special too - must be the correct (I know not which but I use Maris Pipers which are OK) variety.

The key is the pudding to a British Lunch really.

Why?

I am incredibly fussy about my fish and chips to the point where I don't eat them where I live (sorry Southerners) I only eat them when I go and visit my folks in Yorkshire. Even my other half who is a Southerner admits - grudgingly - that they're better. I think it's partly because every chip shop in Yorkshire skins the fish before battering whereas most of them round here don't. I don't like bread and butter pudding because I am clearly a weirdo :p