And you though "your door is ajar" was annoying

British_Rover said:
jayhawk said:
Yet another reason I am go to buy a 2005 or 2006 Mazda MX-5 for summer fun, and for commuting, buy the cheapest car possible to avoid the electronic nagging. My current car, for example, is a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire. No ABS, no traction control, no power windows or locks, manual transmission. I CONTROL THE CAR. No fancy electronics means no fancy electronic problems.

Ehh but ABS and traction control are good things. No matter how fast your foot is you can't hit the brakes as fast as ABS can.
You still have to brake for ABS to kick in. I assume you mean Predictive Braking or whatever they call it.

peter3hg2 said:
British_Rover said:
jayhawk said:
Yet another reason I am go to buy a 2005 or 2006 Mazda MX-5 for summer fun, and for commuting, buy the cheapest car possible to avoid the electronic nagging. My current car, for example, is a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire. No ABS, no traction control, no power windows or locks, manual transmission. I CONTROL THE CAR. No fancy electronics means no fancy electronic problems.

Ehh but ABS and traction control are good things. No matter how fast your foot is you can't hit the brakes as fast as ABS can.
You still have to brake for ABS to kick in. I assume you mean Predictive Braking or whatever they call it.

No, I mean pumping the breaks which ABS can do many, many times faster then any human can do. Take a car with modern 4 channel ABS out to a deserted bit of wet road, get up to speed and slam on the brakes.
Measure the stopping distance then turn the car around and go back to the beginning of the road. Pull the ABS fuse and try the same thing. The stopping distance on wet roads will be dozens of feet differance in most vehicles. Something stupid light like an Elise might not have that kind of differance but most cars will. On dry roads the differenace will be there but not as much.

Also many new vehicles have EBA, emergancy brake assist, which basicly uses a computer algorithm to figure out when you really need 100% braking power but you are not applying it. Studies have shown that a majority of the time when someone really needs to stop in an emergancy they do not apply 100% full braking power.

people with ABS are crazy

don't they realise there are people without driving behind them :bangin:

bone said:
people with ABS are crazy

don't they realise there are people without driving behind them :bangin:
So let me get this right. You ASSUME that everyone with ABS hammers te brake pedal as soon as they need to slow down?

A bit shortsighted if you ask me. ABS is a safety feature. As with all safety features, it doesn't kick in unless absolutely neccesary.

A big downside of ABS is the fact that it can really shake your leg to the point it hurts.

The ABS in our Z3 is just horrid. Slam the brakes and the ABS system will kick in perfectly, but the pedal goes up and down so fast and vigerous, it hurts. It almost throws your knee in your face.

Note: This only happens if you KICK the brake pedal, but the sensation you get is enough to take your foot off after 1 or 2 seconds. Germans, eh? :roll:

I just think ABS, traction control and other "safety" electronics are a crutch for piss poor drivers. Notice I didnt mention passive safety, like seatbelts and airbags.

The purpose of ABS is not to decrease your stopping distance. It's to allow you to brake whilst steering around objects.

Although by keeping the tires from locking, and therefore keeping them right on the edge of breaking loose into a skid, it does decrease stopping distance.

Remember the Top Gear Challenge for the thousand pound car? Clarkson bought a Volvo with ABS and the others didn't have that feature, so despite having the heaviest car he won the braking challenge.

True, but experienced drivers can brake in shorter distances because whereas ABS locks then releases really really quickly, an experienced driver can sit on that threshold.

Clarkson won the challenge because James simply mashed the pedal, allowing the wheels to lock, and Hammond's had an issue with the ABS which could mean anything.

Having said that, my car has ABS, and for day to day driving, I wouldn't trade it for the world, especially in traffic in the wet :)

Its always the same, people overestimate their own abilities and then they end up in a tree.
As I said in some other thread, ABS is not to make you go fast round a race track, but for example when a car suddenly comes up in front of you out of nowhere. Nobody would carefully brake at the edge of blocking tires there, they'd just kick the brake pedal in shock, therefore unable to steer anymore.... and even if nothing happens you need a new set of tires.

These arrogant people thinking they are so much smarter and better drivers than everyone else are slowly annoying me.