Android Tablet Needed

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
Hi,

I am searching for a tablet and am a little lost. Use cases are mainly casual surfing and watching movies on the train or plane. I don't need mobile data.

My requirements:
  • 10" display, at least Full HD (1920x1080), preferrably better.
  • at least 16 GB of memory, better 32 GB, or even an SD card slot
  • Android 6 (Marshmellow) or newer (preferrably out of the box, but I know how to update - but it shouldn't be too old because then the hardware isn't up to the task of running the latest (or near-latest) Android)
  • WiFi for 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (my router can only do 2.4 GHz)
  • black or other dark colour (not white, not pink, you get the idea)
  • I also have a passionate hate for Samsung because of all the crap they put on top of Android. So, another brand works probably much better.
That list does indeed purposely not include a price range.

So, any recommendations or warnings? :)

The Android tablet game is decidedly thin on the ground and needing a 10 inch full HD screen narrows it down further. Excluding Samsung narrows down things even more.

For the most part, the mid range and high end tablet market in the US has conceded to the iPad. So not many high end Android tablets are being made, at least with the US in mind.

I'll be interested to see which recommendations you get. I took a quick look on Amazon and came up empty handed.

The Android tablet game is decidedly thin on the ground.

Pretty much that.

I got my mom a Pixel C after she suffered with an old Samsung Tab. Mainly because I know it will run fine and be updated as long as possible. I'm happy with the purchase. Good build quality, great screen and performs good.

Only negatives being:
  • It is a 2015 device, it should receive an update, but Google isn't gung ho on their tablets from what I can see. Maybe we will see a update towards November? Who knows.
  • Only 32gb and 64gb variants with no SD card slot.
  • Availablity might be an issue as well as the price.

Well, the Pixel is definitely too expensive. For a really good device, I'd be willing to jump over the ?300 mark, but certainly not to ~ ?700.

Edit: After a bit of looking, the Galaxy Tab A is pretty much what I need. 16 GB, SD card slot, Android 6.0, ?250 ~ ?200 (+ SD card and protective hull). The only negative thing is that it's a Samsung.

Are there any alternatives?

Last edited:
You will have to look at Samsungs, Sonys and Lenovos at that price point. Unfortunately I don't remember any specific models.

There's the Xperia Z2 from Sony and the Yoga series from Samsung. Both are, unfortunately, inferior to the Samsung offer.

There's the Xperia Z2 from Sony and the Yoga series from Samsung. Both are, unfortunately, inferior to the Samsung offer.

Get the Samsung then launcher swap and use Package Disabler? Dunno if you need root for this or not.

You could also check on the XDA forums to see how active development is for it. If it's pretty active, chances are good that there is at least one custom ROM based on Google's "stock" look and feel.

Very not funny, Ice.

@Rick: Well, at least Lineage doesn't list the Galaxy Tab A among the supported devices. But that is not a deal-breaker.

Anyway. :p

Just took delivery of a Lenovo Yoga Tablet 3 Plus (WiFi ony). More expensive than the Samsung, but with much better screen. Now waiting for the 128 GB SD card to arrive. :D