Android users: show your homescreens!

the Interceptor

I LUV MY PRIUS!!!
Car(s)
VW Diesel of Death
Motivated by a discussion in the Best Android apps thread and my endless search for the perfect homescreen setup, I thought I'd make a thread with homescreens to share ideas and give tips. Describing your homescreens is one thing, but showing them is heaps better, because some things just work beautifully when you see them, but they sound plain boring.

If you have a rooted phone, simply install shootme, start it and shake your phone to take a screenshot to /sdcard/shootme. If your device is not rooted, you can either take this (more complicated) way or take a photo with a camera. Please include some comments on what widgets and apps you use to help other Android users who like them.

Here is my current setup, still always under construction:

LauncherPro with 3 screens, from left to right (click for larger):

left: my collection of folders with all my apps sorted into categories. Currently using smart shortcuts for that, I am right now moving the same idea towards folder organizer to get rid of the labels. I already replaced the icons on the top left with selfmade, half-transparent icons.

main: the SwitchPro Widget with the most important settings at the top with a transparent background. Then there's the widely configurable Android Agenda Widget as a calendar also made mainly transparent. At the bottom above the custom LauncherPro dock there's the digital clock widget, the current local weather (weather forecast widget) with todays temperatures and BattStatt for the battery level. I used to fill the screen with all kinds of shit, and it was interesting, but not beautiful to look at. This is much more up my street - everything I need to know, but discreet at the same time.

right: the google search bar (I don't really use, but I have nothing else for that spot right now) and FeedR with current news about Android & computers, Formula 1 and general news. I'm not really happy with the looks, but FeedR works very very well as an RSS-based news app.

My idea of a homescreen arrangement is a not-too-clogged-up setup with all the important imformation arranged in a beautiful way. I must add that this look was not my idea, it is actually a ripoff of a homescreen I stumbled over on the LauncherPro forum. I kinda liked it and started to make my own icons and dock background, and it turns out that making your own stuff is really easy and a fun way to give your Android phone a personal touch as well as the look you like.

Post away! :)

Last edited:
I'm still in BlackBerry land, but I have plenty of friends running Android and your theme is by far the coolest I have seen. :thumbup:

My phone isn't rooted, the guide you linked to doesn't work on this computer and I can't get a non blurry/non flash glared picture, so looks like I'm not participating.

Left: Used primarily to maintain symmetry because I couldn't handle having two screens. LauncherPro allows you to have up to three launchers that you can swipe side to side for. The one seen here, which is, of course, the one to the left of the main one, holds shortcuts for Engadget,XKCD Viewer, Daily Dilbert, Wordfued, and Tapatalk.

Main: Beautiful Widgets Smaller Home up top, a 2x2 UltraNotes widget, CM Power Bar, and a music widget at the bottom. Main launcher is fairly self-explanatory.

Right: Also mostly for symmetry. I have a SetCPU widget there because on previous builds of CM6 SetCPU wouldn't start at boot without it. I don't know if it's still needed, but I see no reason to remove it. Right launcher has app drawer, Google talk, camera, Root Explorer, and Android System Info.

Gone with the blastwave FTW :D

Guess what movie I just watched! :D

screen 1: HTC weather widget with 4 different locations
screen 2: HTC bookmarks widget
screen 3: apps: AndChat (irc), Nimbuzz (im - including skype chat), Mobisle Notes (notepad and checklist), aCar (fuel consumption tracker), TweetDeck, Calculator, Wikidroid, Google Maps, Market, Browser
screen 4: I need a transparent clock widget, at least for this background
screen 5: 2 1x4 HTC people widgets
screen 6: HTC agenda widget
screen 7: doubleTwist is a really nice music player

Also wallpaper source:

ironman2.png

I'd share my homescreens but I can't be bothered to either root my phone or follow a 1,000 steps tutorial just for that!

As far as I know, it's not! Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many threads about how to do it on xda-developers ;-)

http://img444.imageshack.**/img444/8391/photonf.jpg

Uploaded with imageshack.**

Observe! Froyo in all its virgin-ness!

I was bored at work so I decided to give it a try... that was actually a lot less painful than what I was hoping! Still a shitload of steps just to get a screenshot...

Behold the unimpressiveness that are my homescreens:

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ki/killpanda/2010/09/04/homescreen1.png
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ki/killpanda/2010/09/04/homescreen2.png
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ki/killpanda/2010/09/04/homescreen3.png

And the Apps shortcut folder on the main homescreen:
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/ki/killpanda/2010/09/04/homescreen1apps.png

I'm still looking for a better weather widget than the one I use, this one's good looking but it doesn't find all the cities I want... The rest I quite like :)

Thanks, installed.

You have a nexus one. It's already rooted.
See, people say that. But when I try to install that screenshot app, nothing happens.

UPDATE: Tried app again, get this: "NO ROOT ACCESS! PLEASE ROOT AND TRY AGAIN!" Mood: Annoyed.

Last edited:
Check the general Android thread, I posted stuff that will help you.

N1 is not pre-rooted, it's just very easy to root.

Lookie what I did! :D

In order from Left <--> Right:

snap20ycy.png

snap20vsv.png

snap201009.png

snap20xkx.png

snap20zmz.png