Android users: what's a good podcast app?

Talaaya

Viper's Sister
VIP
I'm thinking about getting an Android device (never used one before) and before I buy I need to know that I can manage my podcasts properly with it. I've tried to do some research on what apps are available but I can't seem to find enough information. I keep seeing podcast snatchers but that's not what I want. So, Android users, do you know of a good Android app that can do these things?

- automatically bookmark where I stopped listening (not manual bookmarking), AND remember where that was even if I've listened to something else
- remember and tell me which files I've listened to

If anyone is familiar with how Zune handles podcasts, I want that.

Last edited:
I use PodKicker. It can do those things. My only complaint is that it does not resume playback when reconnecting the headphones after having" paused" by disconnecting them.

I'm keeping coming back to Google Listen. Theoretically it does everything I want (including remembering where you stopped), but it can act weirdly sometimes.

Re: Android users: what's a good podcast app?

I'm keeping coming back to Google Listen. Theoretically it does everything I want (including remembering where you stopped), but it can act weirdly sometimes.

Listen's never been a great app IMO. There's a reason why Google themselves killed development.

I like DoggCatcher, it does a great job of remembering where i left off even if i switch to another podcast or reboot the phone + is highly customizable.

I use one called "Tune In Radio" that does a bit more than podcasts. It is nice to be able to pull up a radio station and listen too. But it has a decent selection of podcasts it will stream to you too.

I tried a few over the years and I keep coming back to BeyondPod.

It syncs directly with your RSS reader and/or Google Listen subscriptions, remembers where you stopped listening (many files at once), has a lot of customizations and has many options like "Delete played" or setting how many to have at once on your device, how many to download each time you sync, etc.

I use PodKicker. It can do those things. My only complaint is that it does not resume playback when reconnecting the headphones after having" paused" by disconnecting them.

I use Podkicker as well, and it can resume playback at the saved position when you plug your headphones back in, you just have to change that in settings.

I use Podkicker as well, and it can resume playback at the saved position when you plug your headphones back in, you just have to change that in settings.
The "Pro" version can do that, right. At least when I wrote that post, the free version couldn't do that or the option was too well hidden.
I bought the pro version some time ago and can't complain. Good application.