Andy's Blog 22/12/08 (We've been mentioned again!)

Nice read, and that idea to make 14th episode "cheap studio fun" may even work in the favor, as it will offer some contrast to the usual segment filled episode.

For those who did not catch the 2nd part of the blog, that got deleted for unknown reason, here's the summary:

Top Gear's budget, as well as everybody else's, has been cut, therefore, instead of saving money on features and extras (quote: cut a helicopter there, an aircraft carrier here...) they (Clarkson's idea) decided to film 13/14 seasonal episodies old style, splurging money, leaving 14th episode with cheap stuff and even more studio bits. They are not sure how it's gonna work out but they'll try their best.

Last edited:
Nice blog. It's always good to hear things straight from the horse's mouth. Spooky thing is that we only watched "Sideways" for the first time last night having recorded it a few weeks ago. I like coincidences and I love the fact that Wilman is happy to wear his heart on his sleeve when talking about his "baby" and admit where things have been less than successful. A good read.

I'm kind of bummed he can't make the show entirely for us. I hope he reads this and knows he made me cry.

Nice read, and found a good comment, too: when there's no money left for the last episode, cobble together a show with the stuff that ends up on the cutting room floor. Like - sorry for the poor analogy - "Jackass 2.5". You can make at least half an episode with news cutouts alone.

Last edited:
That Andy is such a cool guy.

I am so much looking forward to the last show.

I am going to save it to watch on my B'day (29th)

What better present than 15 extra min?

(I am almost positive I am getting the big book of Top Gear too because I was asked if I had seen it.)

You can make at least half an episode with news cutouts alone.
Although, I'm sure a show of hands here would soon reveal the number of fans of getting a bit of "News Uncut" between episodes is very high.

I suppose it could work, though; standard "News Uncut" releases throughout the six-episode series 13, but not through series 14, have a few of those "News Uncut" bits for 14x08, and release any further outtakes at the end of the series...

Wasn't it series 3 where they ended with a no-budget show and had Jezza constantly referring to how much of the show they'd made with no money?

"
Not Found

Apologies, but we were unable to find what you were looking for.
"
:(

grrr
really want to read it now
but all i get is
"Not Found - Apologies, but we were unable to find what you were looking for."

It was just there. We have probably crashed a server or something. It will be back.

I suppose it could work, though; standard "News Uncut" releases throughout the six-episode series 13, but not through series 14, have a few of those "News Uncut" bits for 14x08, and release any further outtakes at the end of the series...
Also, I think they have a few parts in every season that never see the light of day at all. I'm sure they would be good enough for a last no-budget episode.

i think im reading the wrong one
but it cant be because its a new blog by willman, and its the only one ive found
i cant see anything about next years shows or the credit crunch or his baby
its all about vietnam

Top Year?

Vietnam is all wrapped up with a ribbon round it and is now sitting under the huge Christmas telly tree, waiting to be unwrapped on Sunday 28th, at 8pm. I hope everyone?s too pissed or fat to move off the sofa, because, and I know I say this every time, it?s quite a good one.

The Vietnam special is also our first foray outside the hour. The final running time ended up at 75 minutes, which was a big worry initially, because one of the most sound and wise sayings in television is ?There?s nothing that can?t be improved by making it shorter?, or something like that.

It?s a maxim we stick to religiously - lots and lots of useable stuff ends up on the floor - but in the case of Vietnam, we simply couldn?t fit the actual basics of the journey into 60 minutes; we?d have had to lose whole days completely, so 75 it is, and believe me it rattles along at that. So, Christmas tip for anyone downloading illegally: get plenty of bits and torrents in or whatever it is you do.

As for the story, for those who like to see presenters suffer there is some good hardship, especially for Jeremy in the first three days, who was crapping himself before he set out.

But then your first ever bike ride and it?s the length of Vietnam - you would be. And his bike was rubbish. But as the journey unfolds it settles down (for a while) into what I think is a good buddy movie.

I am reminded actually, watching it back, of those two brilliant bell ends in Sideways, except in our world the only time anyone gets their leg over is climbing back on a bike.

On the subject of the bikes I suppose, looking back, the big risk in this show is not the fact we?ve ditched cars for bikes - for one outing you won?t miss four wheels, and it does put Jezza in a world of pain. No, the biggest risk in this show - and students of film will spot this if they?re not mullered on Malibu next Sunday - is that Vietnam is the one Special that?s more about the guys than it is about the transport.

In the Polar film there is a simple premise - can a car get to the Magnetic Pole, and the whole film hangs round that; what the guys do is just bonus entertainment. Likewise in Botswana the spine of the film is ?Can ordinary cars go where four wheel drive cars go?? and likewise whatever the lads get up to along the way should be secondary to that premise.

In Vietnam though, the transport question isn?t that strong, because as Ewan and Charlie have proved so well, you can go almost anywhere on a bike. This means the narrative of the film is a bit more skewed towards the three guys: e.g. Can Jeremy make it without killing himself? Can the others make it without killing Jeremy? So please forgive us on that one. We haven?t gone self indulgent, and as soon as we find another titanic vehicular challenge we?ll be there.

Anyway, that?s enough from me. Watch it and let us know.
Huh? It appears to have changed! :blink:

Last edited:
strangely, when i click the link at the top of this page with "top year" at the end, i immediately get redirected to a different one called "Our Nam special"

edit: ok im quite sure its been cut or changed because the first 20 or so comments dont match
people are talking about budget cuts and how he shouldnt be hurt by petrolheads critiquing the show, and one bloke agrees with him about the golden cock award
but none of that is there now

Think I can explain the link disappearing for a while. Just took another look and half the original blog has been deleted. It's now only about the 'Nam trip and the other stuff about this year, the feedback from us, the new budget restrictions and the future of TG have gone, presumably to be reposted in a future blog some time after 12x08.

Ways to saveTop Gear's budget:

Scrap an episode of EastEnders
Scrap BBC3
Shake Jonathan Ross by the ankles
Stop making daytime shite e.g.: how to find an antique in your attic and sodding, bloody bastard property programmes!
Kill Graham Norton

and so on, feel free to add.