Painting round two!
This time I took some supplies from work and made some stands I can put the parts on. Even less than hermetically sealed.
I have a few things I want to service and do before I start driving this again. But then again the tires are here in the end of the month earliest so I'll have time to service it.
So far it looks like they all came out a bit better than the last time.
New stands made.
Ready to go. You can see the primer line in the front of the hood.
I started working on the paint on the hood, plenty of water sanding on different grits of paper and it's more or less flat now. It still needs a cubic fukton of repetitive work watersanding and polishing. Not entirely happy with it so I'll probably not take out the polisher just yet. I'll probably try a few things first.
Front end looks way better now, even with the hood very much unfinished.
The rear end is back together. While I was fiddling with the paint my dad got bored(since all of his rides work ) and fixed the mostly broken tabs on the rear center garnish. It was held on by hopes and dreams mostly, now it's properly on.
I wasn't happy with the transition of the old paint on the hood to the new, so I decided to paint the whole thing.
Time to pitch a tent!
Sadly, I messed with the settings of the paint gun on the fly and got some nasty orange peel and foggy paint. The first layer was fine, should have left it there. But no. Had to fiddle around with it.
I know how to fix the issue though. Same old water sanding, but this time with finer grit than previously. I have 2000, I need 3000 and probably 4000. Those I need to go get from an actual paint store.
While going over with a 2000 grit. About half done here. Fog and orange peel mostly gone, still a lot to do.
After the 3k and 4k water sanding it's time for farecla G3 polish with a machine and then Mequiars ultimate with the same maching.
But these are for next week.
Continued work on the hood. First the 2000 grit, then 3000 and finally 4000.
When I was done with the sanding I used mequiars ultimate to polish it up. After that I put the hood back on the car. I might still work in it, as it is now it's got no wax or anything. But I can leave it here if need be. There is a slight color difference between the old and new even if the paint shop tried to match it. But it's close enough that I can live with it. Full polish and wax on the car and it'll be fine. It's surprising how much the front end changes when things line up and are not falling off.
Half done on 3000 grit. I used the polishing machine we have for the job.
Revisiting this thing was fixed with help from some welding capable friends that I was not back then(still not, but at least I can weld now). The now former friend didn't rly fix the inner structure properly and I noticed that one of the captive nuts has broken free. I need to fix it.
While I have this crossmember out I thought I'd refresh it somewhat at my new job. First sandblasting then painting it black.
Not as bad as the last time when I took it out. But still nasty.
Fixed the inside of the chassis rail and the mounting for the bolts today. Again this should have been done properly six years ago. Had to quit working earlier and go for a mother's day coffee. Sometime next week I'll put the freshly painted crossmember back and drop it on it's wheels.
Then it's drivable and I can take it out. I do have brakes on the way. But that won't stop me from driving it.
I also gave the car a polish and a protective coating. We'll see how it works.
I put the front end back together and dropped the car on the ground. I also put in an inner fender on the drivers side too and now I'm not sandblasting my door sills! The aftermarket bumper(no washer holes) could sit a bit better. I wasn't as as obvious as it was when the whole front end was wonky. But it's fixable, in the future.
I also cleaned up the wiring, I had the ecu cover off for 11 years, also the wiring was just hanging there. I figured I'd sort it out. I also have a plan to clean up the floors but that's something in the future. I dug out the ecu cover, it was a bit rusty so I gave it a sanding and some paint. I also installed a battery kill switch in the car so that I don't have to take off the battery terminal every time the car sits.
I also cleaned up the upper front strut brace. The "anodizing" was falling off and I was about to sandblast it at work when I noticed that packaging tape takes it off just as well. Quality.
Front end back together.
As comparison, here's the before situation.
Strut brace before.
Strutbrace after. Nothing but regular brown packaging tape was used.
ECU cover dug out after 11 years out in the elements.
Quick fix and ready to go. I don't expect the matt black to last very well.