Ownership Verified: Anesthesia's 4G Civic

Nice work Alucard.

I recently bought a mkII CRX and have started to notice these old civics and stuff. I'm not normally that interested by FWD, but these are cool cars in their own way.

Also that civic sedan your using as a winter beater is amazingly clean, rare sight.

From what experience I've had in these they're great on the "shits and giggles for a buck" factor. With a proper engine they can be surprisingly quick around the B-roads(mind you ofc. quick/fast is relative). The chassis is fairly well sorted for what they are. The sedan could be a bit cleaner though. That being said I'll try to clean it up this summer.

What kind of a crx did you get?

From what experience I've had in these they're great on the "shits and giggles for a buck" factor. With a proper engine they can be surprisingly quick around the B-roads(mind you ofc. quick/fast is relative). The chassis is fairly well sorted for what they are. The sedan could be a bit cleaner though. That being said I'll try to clean it up this summer.

What kind of a crx did you get?

Yeah true.

Mine is nothing special, meaning it's not even an SI model, but I don't really care. I just wanted a a lightweight yet fun/interesting commuting car and when I saw it for sale, I wanted it.
Here is the link for pics & info: https://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/night-riders-other-new-car-never-would-guess-59624/

Last edited:
Right. I'll take a look :)

Today was a day off for some reason. So I decided to trow the other seat in as well.

How are your shoulder belts attached to the car body? If they are attached to the floor of the car, I'd consider either fitting standard seatbelts or changing the belt angle. With belts at an angle like that you risk spinal compression in a hard crash..

image_033.gif

A simple harness bar between the rear shock mounts would probably be ideal?

Valid point. The belts go back to the trunk/rear belt mounts. With the rear seats in they'd be right where the rear seat back would be. Up tight they are in the zone the AKK documents have specified for the sholder belts. This document http://www.autourheilu.fi/attachements/2009-04-02T09-45-33175.pdf Page 13

And the stock belts are still in as well for a few reasons.

Last edited:
Posmo beat me to it.
Be safe!

Ofc. :)
Thr document I linked is a tech manual of our national motorsports organisation. I figured I could trust that manual on this matter.

Oh, and things I found wrong with the original seats/rails. The drivers side inner rear nut had fractured off as I mentioned, but I also found issues on the passenger side. The outside seat rail had broken off from the rear and the inside rear bolt was loose. I have a feeling on how the first happened but the latter was tight when the sests were put in.

So late yesterday coming home this lovely little thing decided to go "suzuka by night" on me.

I checked the code and it came out as code 6: Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor The system is OBD0, and the way to check the codes is very simple. Count how many times LED on the ecu blinks and check the code. Here's a short clip. I know there are useless speaker wires in the way. But they're not connected at either end and I've been too lazy to take them out. The interior is next on the list of things to be done anyway. :)

This morning it was hard to start, mainly because the ECU has no idea what's going on with the engine temp. The engine has 3 temp sensors and the one that sends to the ecu was causing the malfunction. This is what I found when I took a look after work.

Last edited:
Sounds like an easy fix.

Not a very big issue no. :)

I figured I'd sort out my valve cover now that I noticed I had a spare around(I had forgotten). I destroyed the VHT Wrinkle plus coating the one in the car had with soaking it in oil(accident) and grinding the stuck bolt/nut offI had to redo the paint. Problem was that VHT Wrinkle plus is unavailable because it's supposedly poisonous for you. A big chain that sells just about everything just got some wrinkle paint so I gave it a shot. I chose red because the one in the car is red. This one has been painted at some point with a high gloss black. Though obviously time has taken a toll in this one as well.

The paint is not as good as the VHT stuff. It's not as wrinkled and applying it wasn't as straight forward. Took me three times to get it to wrinkle up even that much.

The valve cover when I started.

fresh paint:

Finished

Close up of the texture:

Last edited:
At first I thought "why do you want wrinkles?" but I quite liked the end texture. :)

I want wrinkles because they had texture in factory form. Not a glossy finish. Looks a bit like oem,but in red. :)

For the most part I've done fairly little to this car, I've had other things on my plate. We did pick up a parts car with a friend though. Same dohc model as mine. 875 kilometers later we were back at the garage...

This thing was taken off the road because the previous owner didn't want to weld it up anymore. We knew the body was scrap Looking at it now I would imagine he would have needed to be some sort of a wizard because even I have never ever seen rust this bad. We parked it late saturday, got to work on sunday afternoon and finished up late yesterday. All the parts worth saving are off now the shell will be scrapped.

Picking it up, looks fairly sorry for itself but not as bad as it turned out to be.

Here's what we ended up with yesterday

Close up right side rocker panel

Right side :D

Same on the inside

Excellent bondo job on hiding the place of the side moldings

"oops"

This corner had 2 outside fenders on top of each other and 2 inner fencers welded on top of each other. All rusted through

The drivetrain will be going in to my friends sedan project and the rear brakes will be going in to his daily. Salvageable front body parts are staying with me and we're keeping the little random pieces as well so that when we need anything we should have them.

Last edited:
I can totally imagine a tetanus bucket like that doing daily driving on the Rust Belt in the States. Good thing we have that pesky yearly inspection, huh? :p

I can totally imagine a tetanus bucket like that doing daily driving on the Rust Belt in the States. Good thing we have that pesky yearly inspection, huh? :p
This thing was last inspected 3 or 4 years ago... that being said I don't think this rust happened in that time frame. :D
It has been sitting on a lawn so it could have. Based on the well done patch panels we found among the rust I'd say it's probably not the case.

I still can't believe he said he considered fixing it up. Oh, and that color used to be metallic black! :D

Last sunday was my first time back at ahvenisto since changing in the sparco seats. On my regular track the difference is slightly less important due to it's layout of faster sweeping corners, but on ahvenisto I was very pleased in not having to fight to keep in the seat.

I did a few laps less than the last year, but on a whole I'm pleased in how it worked. I still need to install that oil temp gauge I've had on my shelf for at least 8 months. :D

Picture taken by Public
4GyiJZv.jpg