Another countdawn... no not HL2 or TG

zenon said:
I really do hope no one can figure out how to crack Half-Life 2.

I'll admit I download games, but when a game has this much passion and hard work in it, I'm really against piracy. Vavle deserves your $50-60.

I agree. I mean this isnt an EA game they threw together in a few weeks... they worked on it for 5 years and fought with a greedy publisher. There was alot of stress making this. Im no angel but on this game, with all Gabe and his team had to go through, I hope nobody does crack it.

bigfoot1942 said:
zenon said:
I really do hope no one can figure out how to crack Half-Life 2.

I'll admit I download games, but when a game has this much passion and hard work in it, I'm really against piracy. Vavle deserves your $50-60.
i guess thats hope wasted...

no game is 100% cracksafe.
Well, you can make games so difficult to crack that no one bothers, like TOCA Race Driver 2. Plus, with the Steam registering system, there is no reason that they couldn't stop piracy altogether.

I have no problems with downloading some cookie-cutter title like Need for Speed Underground 2 (I really hate EA), but when it comes to a game like Half-Life 2, I would feel horrible for not supporting the creators.

its on suprnova ...

i'm buying the game anyway, for cs:s

but i wanna play it as soon as possible

/edit why is it so different if EA makes it, still ppl working hard on a product.. :/

Kip_6666 said:
/edit why is it so different if EA makes it, still ppl working hard on a product.. :/

I know it sounds hypicritical but EA pumps out title after title one after another. I think the most time they spent on a game was 6 weeks. NFSU2 took 4-5 weeks and they released their first patch the same day the game was released..... its all about volume to them.

Its a tough business, time is money, but quality also counts, I'm enjoying nfsu2 a great amount.

But its not like valve's big wigs care more about quality than money. Of course I'm not certain of this.

But the fact remains, valve are makeing it big, unless they've made huge depts, bought a south american country, or invested in enron shares, they're on the boat, certain of it, i'm sure a few have already ordered a new ferrari :)

Although I know those guys deserve my money, I guess food and bills are higher on my list of priorities so I am hoping they crack it asap :)
I will pay them back as soon as I can hopefully, but for now, I just wanna play the game :) And I know how much hard work they've put it such a work cuz I develop software for a living myself but anyway, nothing I can do about it right now

You'll have to wait a bit longer then... the EMPORiO release was nuked.

yeah saw that, it stops playing in the middle of the game....
no prob waiting for a few more days....got tg episode to watch, nfsu2 is not quite finished yet and lots of other less important stuff to do like work for example :wink:

Kip_6666 said:
This is why it is different if EA makes the game:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/11/news_6112998.html
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/joestraitiff/368.html

Basically, in the world of video game development, there are two kind of companies. Those like Valve, and those like EA. EA is a mega-conglomerate corporation that has been systematically devouring small game studios. Companies such as Maxis and Westwood have been bought out by EA, and have turned from small studios concerned with making compelling and creative games, to subsidiaries of a corporation concerned only with the bottom line.

Valve is still a small company - they are in a partnership with Sierra, but they interfere very little with game-development. EA on the other hand assimilates small companies: they do not retain any individuality - they move companies to EA sites and develop under EA managment. In the end, what they have done is create a corporation identical to major Hollywood studios and major record labels - they are concerned only with profit, and because of this, turn out un-innovative and non-creative cookie-cutter titles.

Also, if you read the articles I linked to above, they treat their employees extremely poorly and infringe on many basic employee rights.

EA does develop and publish some decent games still, but they are games like Need for Speed Underground 2 that will only hold your interest for a week or two. For a game to be a true classic, it needs the passion and creativity of programmers and artists. When you suck the life out of your employees by subjecting them to ridiculously long hours and illogical management practices they will never create something like Half-Life 2.

The really ironic thing about this whole situation, is EA was started in 1982 as a refuge from the large video game coporation of the day. Companies like Atari had gotten so large and overly concerned with profit that they wer turning out cookie-cutter titles - all of the programmers and artists hated this of course, and where looking for alternatives. When EA started up, it was seen as a small studio where creative games could be made again, and all of the programmers and artists flocked there. :?

Kip_6666 said:
its on suprnova ...

i'm buying the game anyway, for cs:s

but i wanna play it as soon as possible

Still just the original leaked code at the mo - no official game.

Yeah I saw those articles about EA a while ago.... The employees are trying to start a class action lawsuit to sue EA for unpaid overtime and stuff.... sounds like a mess

W00T!
the new HL2 release by emporio emulates steam so Valve cant do anything about it!

nuked and the reason is "homemade.iso" I really dunno what that means to ppl using it... they're sometimes just silly and nuke releases for ridiculous reasons, like a movie release being nuked for having only 2 channel ac3, and then releasing it in 2 channel mp3 audio... Stupid!

v0od0o said:
nuked and the reason is "homemade.iso" I really dunno what that means to ppl using it... they're sometimes just silly and nuke releases for ridiculous reasons, like a movie release being nuked for having only 2 channel ac3, and then releasing it in 2 channel mp3 audio... Stupid!
not nuked, not this one...
at least i think (and hope) so

Release Notes:

Well, who did it? We did. This goes to say something, huge respects
fly out to all the other groups (everyone OTHER than Hoodlum), I'm
sure we can expect some great retail copies from them.

This is the FINAL copy from STEAM, it emulates steam so you DO NOT NEED TO
install steam, just apply the crack.

Oh, and sheep that are grazing the field... now is the time to redeem
yourselves.

Yes you like the game
BUY IT! ... :)

ENJOY!

Yes nuked too my friend :)

Can't trust that... I can't really be sure it doesn't work because a release can be nuked for reasons as trivial as that the pack doesn't conform to scene rules for example, sometimes nukes doesn't mean crap to the user and the release is working...
But the problem is that no zeroday site or release group will host a nuked release so it becomes very hard to find cuz noone wants to waste bandwidth on a nuked release and everyone'd rather wait for a non-nuked rel.
So the wait here continues for a non-nuked release :(

v0od0o said:
Can't trust that... I can't really be sure it doesn't work because a release can be nuked for reasons as trivial as that the pack doesn't conform to scene rules for example, sometimes nukes doesn't mean crap to the user and the release is working...
But the problem is that no zeroday site or release group will host a nuked release so it becomes very hard to find cuz noone wants to waste bandwidth on a nuked release and everyone'd rather wait for a non-nuked rel.
So the wait here continues for a non-nuked release :(
well, its on usenet now...

and this is "some" confirmation:

http://www.webwereld.nl/nav/nb?20061 (dutch)

translated using babelfish:
Hackersgroep crack security half life 2

Thursday, 18 November 2004 - the online recording module of the computer game half life 2 daags have been cracked after the introduction. Also the manufacturer with other problems contends.

By game maker the faded obligatory recording had been meant illegal reduce spreading the game. On so-called Steam-server must register themselves players, whereupon some vital components of the game are activated.

Hackersgroep Emporio have succeeded in this getting round beveiliging of the game. Using the cracked version the recording can be skipped whereas the game can be played, however.

Not only the maker of the game, faded, are possible Steam-servers the all applications is faced with its brakke beveiliging, also do not prove to be to.

Since the introduction of the game earlier these turns the inlogservers overuren had yielded. Because of this came many users deceived from because there simply no account could be made, the recording procedure got bogged down or releasing the protected files by all upheaval more than one hour lasted.

I'm sure they've cracked it... but still the release was nuked, as I told you I don't really understand the nuke reason it's here though
http://www.nforce.nl/index.php?m=sections&id=2
The tooltip above the nuke icon will tell u the reason for nuking "homemade.iso" a reason i've nevrer seen before and don't actually understand.

Here are some entries from the forums about this release:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
this release should been nuked . not working and not retail dvd
--
crashes and dodgey textures. theyre working on a patch so all is not lost.
--
Its been nuked. EMPORiO are working on a REPACK now.
--
A, for lack of a better word, inadequate release. Not to fred, my friends, a new release is soon to come!
--
NUKE! Tried all Fixxes and i only get a DOS-window flashing up saying "not enouhg memory". Guess what, i have 1 GB...
-------

Need I say more :) Wait for a repack or buy the game