Ownership Verified: Another Ex-Cop car

This is now the best PYC thread on FG :D Well done :thumbsup:

Also another vote for the bus to come to Ringmeet next year!

I think technically this is not actually a PY*C* thread, since he pointed out that a semi license (lorry licence, for the BE fans) is required for this thing. Or a bus one, depending on what it is registered as, but same difference.

This project is awesome! I can't wait to see how it progresses! :-D

I had all this stuff on my NZ licence by default, but they did not carry it over when I converted it to a .de licence :( sad.

You should have asked for it!

I just had my Ohio license converted back to a German one. Not only did they include A but also C1! Only thing needed was the now mandatory health check that cost me 50EUR. All of that of course makes no sense at all, because I haven't added anything except motorcycle while overseas, and I got my Ohio license by converting my German one that only had class B in the first place...

But hey, I'm not complaining :p

Last edited:
So you're saying instead of going to a driving school, I should invest in a return flight to the U.S.? :lol:

So... what are the options for boosting power?

This being a german vehicle, surely there has to be some parts that fits bolt-on from a later model vehicle. Turn this thing into a 514D or something :D

All people I know with this buses, when talking about gaining power, talk about engine swaps and rear axle ratios. Bolt-ons do not seem to work.

Yeah, I haven't read about any easy power gaining methods for these... I might port the intake for better airflow, but I honestly don't see the point in going much beyond that. It is a truck after all, and there's nothing wrong with slow trucks. Besides, I honestly think that this has less than 100.000 km on the (missing) clock, since police buses rarely have more than that after leaving service, and this was barely moved afterwards, otherwise they would've bothered to register it. So power should still be pretty close to optimal, like it was from the factory :)

I might even be lucky and have the higher rear axle ratio, but I have no clue at this point and no desire to change it later. You have to keep in mind I'm doing this on a budget, being a student who already has two cars etc... ;)

The w123 had a turbo version. From which parts should be bolt on.

W123 had OM617 which is completely different engine. If this had one of those, getting more power would be a walk in the park, an easy 200 hp with minimal modifications. Big turbo, intercooler and better fuel injectors and you're ready to go.

Last edited:
W123 had OM617 which is completely different engine. If this had one of those, getting more power would be a walk in the park, an easy 200 hp with minimal modifications. Big turbo, intercooler and better fuel injectors and you're ready to go.

Well OM617 swap it is then. Proceed! :D

Oh, you mean something like the one I have sitting less than 4 meters from the bus right now?
IMAG2378.jpg

Ignore the mess, usually it looks more organised in the garage :p

Don't get your hopes up though, it's not going to happen, mainly because of this:
IMAG2379.jpg

IMAG2380.jpg

That's with the ruler touching the very back of the engine bay...

The second reason why it's not going to happen: 235 Nm vs 172 Nm. Admittingly, the turbo version has 250 Nm, but this isn't one and would therefore have serious longevity issues... Or my wallet would have, depends on which route I would take ;)

Aaanyyways, I feel like I'm going too much into a swap that isn't going to happen :lol:

So I caught a glance into the heating vents from the outside while i was fetching something out of the garage the other day:
IMAG2352.jpg

Which left me with no other choice but to rip out the heater core:
IMAG2375.jpg

... I love wrenching on this, there's 7 screws and 2 hose clamps between the entire assembly being safely in the car and in a box next to the bus :D

Also, I ripped out the entire passenger side PVC floor to get a better look at the floor:
IMAG2374.jpg

It's not that bad, just one or two holes in the floor, the rest is fine :)

Oh, and ofcourse there were some beers and fun nights had in the bus, so this doesn't have to be all work and no fun :D
IMAG2335.jpg

IMAG2337.jpg

Oh, and I made some progress on cleaning up the shed, maybe I can move it over there today or tomorrow...

That last pic makes it look like your are doing something other than drinking beer in that bus dude....

That last pic makes it look like your are doing something other than drinking beer in that bus dude....

Hahah, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that :mrgreen:

Weell, if you both mean the hazy windows, I refuse to comment that :rolleyes:
A friend of mine loooves to listen to hardcore doom metal <_< so that is what was playing... Out of a dimly lit, rusty bus. I'm glad there are literally NO people around here at night :lol:

FUNKY TIME!
The popo surely had a lot of that in there :D

... did these things ever officially make it to the US?

I'm kind of in the market for a minibus, and every time I look at this thread I want.

I think I'd rather import one than have to touch that interior.

Got another one for you

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/mercedes-406d-diesel-dually/6325246829.html

EDIT: One more
https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/d/mercedes-cargo-van-rat-rod/6313111163.html

Last edited:
Hey guys :)

so between fixing up my new (shared) flat in Regensburg, where I study, fixing stuff at home and working on the side as a chimney sweep, I squeezed in a few hours of cleaning up our neighbours shed so I can use it as a garage :)

And I swear, there was a metric shitton of stuff in there to move around and organize...
That was after a day of work already
IMAG2498.jpg

And the same day in the evening
IMAG2501.jpg

Afterwards, we pulled up a huge tarp for boats I still had lying around, there may have been some beers involved... I only fell off the ladder once though :beer:

And I woke up to this
IMAG2502.jpg

Which quickly went to looking like this
IMAG2503.jpg

IMAG2504.jpg

Key after doing something like this: Mark your territory, before random shit starts appearing out of nowhere :rolleyes:
IMAG2513.jpg

IMAG2515.jpg

The difference in size... I think I'm not allowed to critisize the SUV crowd anymore :lol:

All in all, I expected to have more space in there, but it still is quite an achievement and removes me and my work environment from the elements, so definetly worth the 2-3 days of work I had to put into this :)

This was all last week, I just didn't get around to post about it. Then I started ordering stuff, mostly some metal but also a tachometer, since the original one was missing :(

But atleast it was worth the 85?, despite the seller telling me clock's not working, it shows the time just fine, and lights up etc. shame I can't test drive it right now...
IMAG2538.jpg

So, that's it for now, next week I can hopefully finish the 'shop' and start welding and stuff :D