Another 'new phone' question

SquareLeft

Car(s)
2019 Mazda6 Sport, 2002 Subaru WRX, 1961 Morgan
As you folks know, I'm an old guy - and - try as I may, I just can't keep up with all the new electronics.
So, I need to replace my Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. I'm looking for something less expensive that I can switch over to without going to the new 'nano' SIM and SD cards. The plan is to keep the S5 as a back-up phone.

I've been looking at one of the LG phones:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-D850-32GB...qid=1521138108&sr=8-15&keywords=lg+smartphone

Please remember that I probably don't use my phone the way most of you use yours. I make phone calls, send texts and take the occasional photo, for which I use Google Drive as a transfer device.
I also use the 'memo' function for various lists and the calendar app to keep appointments. The voice recorder gets used now-and-then.
I don't play any games on my phone and rarely access the internet from it.

Bottom line: Do you think that the LG is a good choice? I'll be shopping around for a good price, but I'll probably buy from Amazon unless I find a smoking deal.
TIA
SL

I had one, it was good until the screen just stopped working after just over a year.

If you want a more recent phone, while still maintaining sim compatibility with your S5, you could move to a nano-sim and get a nano-to-micro adaptor to use your nano sim in your S5.

Unfortunate reality is that cheaper Android phones tend to be of crappy quality and cheaper iPhones don't exist. As for micro sim vs sim, you are not likely to find anything recent w/o a microsim.

Thanks for the replies. A few more comments:
1. I'm not a fan of Apple products, even though I realize that their quality is almost always good... So, I won't be buying an Iphone.
2. Micro SIM is what I have now and want to keep. I don't care how 'recent' the phone is, technology-wise. I'm also not concerned about processing speed or power. A left-over three-or-four model-year-old phone would be fine with me if it's reliable and answers my relatively simple demands.
3. I'm pretty hard on phones, in that being old also screws up some tactile abilities (read: we drop things...). So, that's the reason I mentioned that I'd like something less expensive. I'm replacing the S5 because I dropped it a couple of times and both cracked the screen and damaged something internally. My local phone repair shop estimated the 'fix' at $220+ and advised me to just buy another phone. I had insurance on it with SquareTrade, but that turned out to be a joke.
4. One of my friends used the nano-to-micro SIM adapter and had problems. The other thing is that, if I switch to nano-SIM, I have to go to AT&T and get them to do the change-over, which is something I'd like to avoid.
5. I'm open to suggestions on other phones. I'm OK with Motorola and other major brands.

SL

Last edited:
I forgot to post the end of this quest. After looking at dozens of phones, reading advice and talking to friends; I finally bought a new phone.
The deciding factor came from a friend who owns a small business. He told me that he provides J3s to his employees as company phones and has had excellent service from them.
So, as much as I hate to admit it, I went with another Samsung. I ended up with this J3:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078KN66TJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also bought an Otterbox case for it.

I'll have to say that it like it a LOT better than my old S5. It wasn't 'plug & play', though, and I had to go back to AT&T for a smaller SIM card. They provided it free and copied over the info as well.
It has fewer features, but that doesn't matter to me. So far, it's performed perfectly and has much better battery life.
If I can remember, I'll provide an update after a few months.

As before, I appreciate the input from those who responded.
SL

If I've read this question earlier I would still suggest that you buy the same brand. One reason is you are already used to its user interface and having a different phone will probably confuse you somehow. The brand is okay but I am not sure about the model because as far as I know J series is often short on internal memory for apps but for basic use, I think it is okay.

i guess you aren't a millennial?