Another school shooting in Finland

h-p

Car(s)
Mazda 3
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7630969.stm

Man opens fire at Finnish college

A gunman has opened fire at a college in western Finland, the country's national broadcaster reports.

YLE quotes police as saying the incident, at a vocational school in the town of Kauhajoki, is ongoing.

Police told YLE and another Finnish news agency they feared several people may have been injured, possibly killed.

Last November a student shot dead eight people at a school in Tuusula. The level of gun ownership in Finland is among the highest in the world.

A BBC correspondent in Finland said a gunman dressed in black was seen at the school, apparently carrying an automatic weapon.

Police ordered an evacuation and called for reinforcements. There were reports of a fire at the site and of at least one injured girl seen leaving the school, our correspondent says.

What the hell is wrong with these idiots?

He is apparently the shooter.

edit: here is the YLE news.

Last edited:
Aamulehti says he is arrested. YLE says he is shot himself. Police will give information in 15 minutes.

edit: 3 died, says Ilta-Sanomat. And the building is on fire.

Hopefully the Finnish authorities efficiently and effectivily deal with the problem

The shooter has shot himself, but not fatally.

What the hell is wrong with these people.. I mean, feel free to commit suicide, but there is NO FUCKING NEED to take other people down with your agony.. Btw, it appears we Finns suck at suicides, both Auvinen and this guy tried to commit suicide, but neither really succeed that well..

Last edited:
The shooter has shot himself, but not fatally.

Good, now the bastard can have all the fubar he can take for the rest of his life .... in prison.

Oh, and I swear these school shootings are intesifying. In the last month my city had a code-red (school lock-up) after they thought they saw a man with a gun enter the school. Kind of makes you want to take a gun to school with you and risk expulsion than fear for your life whenever you go to your lectures.

But seriously, is this becoming a fad or something? Suicide by school shooting?
Reality is more messed up than fiction.

My condolences to the families of the dead.

according to the police nine people are dead, it is not clear whether the shooter shot himself or was shot by the police.

edit:

according to WHO finns are actually quite good at committing suicide..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

Death toll is now 11 including the shooter.

Yeah. suicide rate are high among young men here but these two school shooters wanted to take innocent fellow students with them. Two cases won't make a trend but it's worrying. There's a massive amount of civilian firearms in this country but I don't think that is to blame. Guns here are not considered as personal defence as in the US. (yes I understand that there are hunters and sports shooters in America too)

I wonder if Kauhajoki shooter had done conscription like most men in his age. I think it teaches some right kind of respect for weapons.

Holy shit. Been seeing bits of this on the BBC news channel today (it's on in the training centre I'm going to). Can't believe some people are like this.

According to Radio 1 news circa 3 hours ago, he was arrested yesterday for making a SpewTube video of him trying to be 'big' with a gun...

According to Radio 1 news circa 3 hours ago, he was arrested yesterday for making a SpewTube video of him trying to be 'big' with a gun...

Yeah, he was called to police station yesterday to have a chat about the youtube videos. The officer who had interviewed him hadn't seen it necessary to revoke his licence or confiscate the weapon.

I can't even begin to imagine what's going through that man's mind right now.

Don't blame the guns!

Its dealing with the consequence not the problem itself. The problem is that there are guys who are cut away from society, they hate other members of it and find friends with similar views from the internet. The hate deepens until they snap and commit these crimes.

Making it harder to get guns is not the solution. Lets take away knives, power tools and everything else you can use to harm other people.
The problem is the society. All the commercials make you feel unhappy with yourself and giving relief by buying something new. People get unhappy in this world where they are always missing something, get depressed, don't talk to each other about how they really feel and some guys can't take it anymore.

If someone wants a gun badly he can get it one way or another. Making these people not want to kill everyone solves the real problem.

Don't blame the guns!

Its dealing with the consequence not the problem itself. The problem is that there are guys who are cut away from society, they hate other members of it and find friends with similar views from the internet. The hate deepens until they snap and commit these crimes.

Making it harder to get guns is not the solution. Lets take away knives, power tools and everything else you can use to harm other people.
The problem is the society. All the commercials make you feel unhappy with yourself and giving relief by buying something new. People get unhappy in this world where they are always missing something, get depressed, don't talk to each other about how they really feel and some guys can't take it anymore.

If someone wants a gun badly he can get it one way or another. Making these people not want to kill everyone solves the real problem.

Please read my message correctly. I said the problem is that in a society with lots of firearms there should be more precautions ... and unfortunately there aren't that many in Finland or in the States. For proof, the cop let the killer go the day before the incident. He just called him to an interview and said: "Oh well, he looks like a good chap, I'll give him a break." That's the problem right there. People do show signs of having a disturbance before they do things like this, and they only succeed because the people that see the signs choose to ignore them.

^Because they aren't careful enough. Not as many precautions in place for societies with lots of firearms.

That's my opinion anyway.

Firearms don't cause problems. Firearms only make it easier for the already fucked up people to solve their "problems". Britain hasn't got leagalised weapons and they have lots of murders and such with knives..