Ownership Verified: Another Tesla lurking in the shadows...

At 110 km/h, no idea tbh. I tend to go 125 km/h everywhere, which may be 15 kWh/100km or 20 kWh/100km - so let’s say this was about 50% higher consumption than I usually see. But a big part of that was certainly due to the heavy rain, keep that in mind.
Yeah thats why I asked. My consumption is usually around 18-20kwh, so 26 doesn't seem very high to me (Yesterday, in biblical weather with rain, hail, wind, and a lot of elevation I did 24 kwh without bikes on the roof).
I guess for my use case it would be around 30 or so like loose_unit.

I'd like to tell you exactly how much impact driving with bikes on the towbar has had, but to be honest, I don't think it has ANY impact.
Because of where the bikes are and because the weight is negligable on a 2 tonne car. Also I've never done any proper long highway runs, the max I have done is 200 kms, which is half a "tank" so not really representative...

Also also, one of my kids has stopped BMXing which means one less bike to transport, which means most of the time I just put in the boot....

I'd like to tell you exactly how much impact driving with bikes on the towbar has had, but to be honest, I don't think it has ANY impact.
That’s where the shape and size of a model 3 will make a major difference. For larger cars with fatter asses, sure, the bikes will just be hidden from the wind anyway.

Kind of fits in with something I was looking at yesterday, the Thule Outset. It's a currently unreleased tent that attaches to the towbar like a bike rack and then it unfolds like a roof tent. I like the idea of having one on the MX-5 for roadtrips but it looks quite tall, it would act like an airbrake behind the little Mazda.

Did you just call my car fat?
Fat assed maybe… that doesn’t have to be a bad thing? 🙈
Kind of fits in with something I was looking at yesterday, the Thule Outset. It's a currently unreleased tent that attaches to the towbar like a bike rack and then it unfolds like a roof tent. I like the idea of having one on the MX-5 for roadtrips but it looks quite tall, it would act like an airbrake behind the little Mazda.
Yeah, I assume there’s a reason their pictures show it behind a huge SUV 😜 if I wanted to keep with the name calling I’d say this is an overpriced roof tent for people with a dodgy hip that can’t climb anymore!
… or for my weakling of a car, whose roof rack has a 68kg weight limit :|

I’d say this is an overpriced roof tent for people with a dodgy hip that can’t climb anymore!
How rude, I just can't be bothered to climb. Nor do I fancy falling down a ladder at 5am while busting for a pee. :ROFLMAO:

A roof tent on an MX-5 would be a hilarious impossibility too. :p

A roof tent on an MX-5 would be a hilarious impossibility too. :p
Don’t tell me nobody has hacked something up from one of those hardtop things! Surely someone, somewhere built something completely ridiculous with one of those…

Update for the way back without all the cap rain and what have you: for the second leg of the journey with autopilot set to 110 we ended up with about 22 kWh/100 km. First leg was 26 again, but that included crazy wind at the coast as well as about an hour of STAU around bloody Antwerp! Ffs.

Also dirty car is dirty. And full of seagull poop. Autopilot kept telling me it had detected bad weather… I should go through the car wash.

Thats extremely low. I just did 106 kms (mostly highway) with 2 bikes on the towbar and had 24 kwh/100 kms average. So about 20% worse than normal compared to no bikes behind my car’s big butt.

Also the car does this weird thing when it senses the towbar/connector plug thingy, it automatically knocks 100 kms off the predicted range. It does gain those kms back when it feels I’m not towing a caravan or horsebox or something though

Is it an option to have a shop resurface/mill the rotors?

Is this a US thing? Nobody does that here, everyone just throws new rotors on as far as I know. Don't know if things are different in Germany.

Is this a US thing? Nobody does that here, everyone just throws new rotors on as far as I know. Don't know if things are different in Germany.
As posted somewhere, there are shops that do this, but they’re very rare. So no, I wouldn’t say this is common at all - and the line „everyone just throws new rotors on“ still holds when you’re accepting „everyone“ to be like 99+% of people 🙈

Also: it’s not cheap. They usually quote a flat fee per disc plus the actual time to prep the car (taking the wheels off etc) which would probably „only“ save me 300e or so… (yes that’s a lot of money, but it’s only like 30%).

Quick annoyance: I usually don't care too much with my daily commute, especially considering how I gain and lose a few % of SOC while stationary anyway, but the consumption figures I'm seeing on my 60km / 45min commute swing around like crazy! I don't necessarily care very much, but this morning in my way to work, in fairly good conditions (8°C, dry, mild wind, 200 m total, 70 m net elevation gain) and not going crazy fast (AP 125 km/h), the car indicated 21 kWh/100 km. From my past experience and feeling, that should be closer to 18, or even less... the way back is usually less, purely because of the 70m net drop, but I've had drives (in more like 20°C, admittedly) that averaged less than 15 kWh/100 km at the same sort of speed.

... guess I'll go with the same as the random SOC gains / drops: don't care, just ignore, can't explain it or do anything about it anyway.

TÜV in may, and after digging around a little more, I will just go with new discs & pads (the car's at ~110k km, so fair enough I guess) and will use the occasion for a little look around and maybe a test drive of a highland model 3.

^yeah I wouldn't read too much into that, I get random high or low consumption at times too, it drove me mad at first too but I've taken my meds now and I don't care anymore. I think your commute is just too short to be able to be representative....

(fwiw an identical drive on the same day yielded 15 kwh the first time and 19 kwh the second time....at that point I stopped caring)

Tesla dropped prices for model 3 another 2000€. they're really tempting me to go switch over to highland, with the better ride quality and sound insulation and all the efficiency and shit that I don't currently have (I don't even have a heat pump, fcol)... UGHHHHH also more and more reports of drives from people saying that the missing blinker stalk actually isn't all that big of a deal and you get used to it super quickly. damn.

ANYWAY. nothing else to report.

saw new record solar power this week, which enabled the full 11 kW from the charger for a change :D 11.91 kW from a theoretical maximum of 12 kW (16 kWp solar panels, but 12 kW is the limit from the inverters, which is fair enough, since the panels are spread out as they are, so I very rarely and only shortly run into the limitation).

Reactions: lip
I can recommend a Model Y for family use over the 3 ;-) There will be a new one coming some time in the next year or so too
but its so uglyyyyyyy* :p also I had one as a loaner when they replaced my rear motor inverter last year and I honestly hated the high up seating position. yes it's more comfortable for people in the rear and the hatch / trunk situation is much more practical, fair enough, but still... we don't actually use the car that much with the whole family. rather seldomly, actually. also also: the model 3 does work well for us, it's not like it's too small or anything. although, to be fair, my wife would probably enjoy the additional headroom, yes.

* yes, very subjective. yes, maybe that changes with juniper. a little at least.

but its so uglyyyyyyy* :p also I had one as a loaner when they replaced my rear motor inverter last year and I honestly hated the high up seating position. yes it's more comfortable for people in the rear and the hatch / trunk situation is much more practical, fair enough, but still... we don't actually use the car that much with the whole family. rather seldomly, actually. also also: the model 3 does work well for us, it's not like it's too small or anything. although, to be fair, my wife would probably enjoy the additional headroom, yes.

* yes, very subjective. yes, maybe that changes with juniper. a little at least.
I couldn't take a 3 over a Y, it's just so much more practical.

The high up driving position is totally fine for me, and actually it feels weird getting into something lower :D

But yeah, if the 3 works for you, then stick with it - It's quite a lot more efficient :)

+1 for the "the model Y would be perfect for my use case but I can't live with its looks" team ! I'm exactly the same.
If they just would make the model 3 with an actual hatch instead of the narrow opening/postbox it has now, would be so much better.

I couldn't take a 3 over a Y, it's just so much more practical.
yeah, all very much depends on the use case I guess... I do 90% of my driving alone in the car without transporting anything except my little office bag and a thermos of coffee. Worst case scenario is going on holiday with my wife and daughter, which does fill the car, but not as badly as it used to (we no longer take a pram/buggy). and while packing the car is a little tedious with the shit trunk opening, it's something I do 3 or 4 times a year, so I don't actually care about how much Tetris it ends up being.
The high up driving position is totally fine for me, and actually it feels weird getting into something lower :D
I think this is very much just a question of habit. If you're used to one, then the other's gonna feel weird. So should probably just be ignored when making the choice.
But yeah, if the 3 works for you, then stick with it - It's quite a lot more efficient :)
Oh yeah, the efficiency I completely forgot about. That is quite a bit better with a 3 - at least a current 3 vs a current Y. my old-ass 3 vs a current Y... maybe not so much :p
If they just would make the model 3 with an actual hatch instead of the narrow opening/postbox it has now, would be so much better.
perfect compromise... oh well... can't have everything... and since I very rarely even open the trunk, the hatch would be a bit of a waste on me.