Ownership Verified: Another Tesla lurking in the shadows...

If they just would make the model 3 with an actual hatch instead of the narrow opening/postbox it has now, would be so much better.
Agreed! This came up when I was talking to my sister yesterday, she lives near the Sheffield Tesla centre and knew someone who test-drove a Y. I would quite like to do that myself, just to remind myself of what the 3/Y is like and to see what has changed. A 3 with a hatch would be a big win though, much like I prefer the Audi A7 Sportback for its hatch over something like an A5.

Soooo tomorrow imma go and have my brakes fixed and while I’m there will take a highland for a test ride… will see what that does :| probably will make me hate my car for being loud and uncomfortable. Ugh. Not a good idea 🤣
Also there’s an open tüv station right next to the service center so if there’s time I’ll go straight through there, too.

Soooo tomorrow imma go and have my brakes fixed and while I’m there will take a highland for a test ride… will see what that does :| probably will make me hate my car for being loud and uncomfortable. Ugh. Not a good idea 🤣
Yeees, so that happened. The difference especially in noise and comfort is startling... the missing stalks don't actually bother me in the slightest, only had slight issues in a roundabout, but I'm sure I'd get used to that quickly enough. Have requested Tesla to provide me with a trade in quote. Let's see...
Also I somehow missed the TÜV station. Will go somewhere else next week I guess.
Also also: much better service experience at this place than at the service center in Düsseldorf that I used to go to. They even finished work 1.5h earlier than expected, which was nice. Also they don't actively try to hide from you, like they did in Düsseldorf. Sure, the whole process CAN be done completely without any human interaction (you just park the car and check it in via the app and that's that), but there's always a bunch of employees running around asking if you need help and actively asking if there's anything else they need to know or they can help you with.

Collected a few trade in / buy offers from the usual online car sale mafia and through Tesla itself. As expected the Tesla offer was the lowest, which I guess is fair enough because it’s also the most hassle-free.
However, all of the offers were pretty unacceptable to me - which actually doesn’t surprise me. It’s a 5yo car with a little more than 100kkm on the clock. So it’s actually right in the depreciation sweet spot of “just keep driving it without any further depreciation!”. In two years at 150kkm it’s probably not going to be that much lower value…

So I guess my plan now, in order to at least fix the main issue I have, which is noise:
- ditch my spare set of 18” wheels, or even both.
- switch my nice 19s over to some good all season tires (winter can suck it) and hope that those are a bit quieter. They will be, question is by how much.
… which I could probably do in fall or something. I dunno. Also I don’t even do that much driving anymore, so it’s all a bit meh anyway!

Yes, clearly I’m rambling. Carry on 🤣

Collected a few trade in / buy offers from the usual online car sale mafia and through Tesla itself. As expected the Tesla offer was the lowest, which I guess is fair enough because it’s also the most hassle-free.
However, all of the offers were pretty unacceptable to me - which actually doesn’t surprise me. It’s a 5yo car with a little more than 100kkm on the clock. So it’s actually right in the depreciation sweet spot of “just keep driving it without any further depreciation!”. In two years at 150kkm it’s probably not going to be that much lower value…

So I guess my plan now, in order to at least fix the main issue I have, which is noise:
- ditch my spare set of 18” wheels, or even both.
- switch my nice 19s over to some good all season tires (winter can suck it) and hope that those are a bit quieter. They will be, question is by how much.
… which I could probably do in fall or something. I dunno. Also I don’t even do that much driving anymore, so it’s all a bit meh anyway!

Yes, clearly I’m rambling. Carry on 🤣

Just don‘t go for those V-tread pattern like the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons. Ive only seen them in europe and understand why people wouldn’t like all seasons if thats all they experienced. Something that actually has a pattern going with the road would go a long way.

Huh, thanks for the heads up, since those do come up well in the recent tests that I've glanced at.
I honestly just check out the most recent test results by ADAC or auto bild or whomever, look at the detailed results for a little and just go with the best that's available... currently that'd probably the Pirelli offering that doesn't seem to have any major flaws.

Huh, thanks for the heads up, since those do come up well in the recent tests that I've glanced at.
I honestly just check out the most recent test results by ADAC or auto bild or whomever, look at the detailed results for a little and just go with the best that's available... currently that'd probably the Pirelli offering that doesn't seem to have any major flaws.

Yeah, i‘m sure the vector‘s do perform well. Ive had them on various rental cars and my work van has them too. They have a roar at speed and slowing to a stop has that winter tire noise too…

I had a set of of Continential ProContact TX on my work VW golf wagon in the US and they were quiet and good enough in winter.

Just don‘t go for those V-tread pattern like the Goodyear Vector 4 seasons.
I had Vector 4 Seasons on my Tesla, in my opinion they were the best overall from the reviews I had looked at in 2020. Many all season tyres are V-tread, in the linked review the Goodyears are actually one of the quieter tread patterns!

+1 to what Matt said. I run the Vector Gen3 on my Model 3 and they are reasonably quiet, and rather comfortable. Summer PS4s are better and also grip a lot more, but compared to the 20" tires I had on the old Performance car, the 18" Goodyears are quite good.

Alright, tüv done with zero comments except that I may think about new tires in autumn. That actually suits me nicely! 😜

Last edited: