Ownership Verified: Another Tesla lurking in the shadows...

- putting electricity back into the grid would yield a ridiculous fee (0,05€, while using electricity from the grid costs like 0,45€)
Yeah honestly kinda similar, if not quite as bad, situation here… 8ct to feed back, 37ct to take (minus 25% in my case because I work for the evil supplier 🙈).

Funnily enough, I put in my current meter reading into the online portal for fun and it complained to me that it was unrealistic (14 kWh for the month of august), to double check and I had to provide a reason 🤣
Fed back 500 kWh during that same time 😐

Hey, as long as you guys can give more reasons to reduce dependence on the Garzweiler and inden mines, I’m happy. 😀

Yes, I am NIMBY.

Yes, I am NIMBY.
Saaaaaame 🥳

Yeah honestly kinda similar, if not quite as bad, situation here… 8ct to feed back, 37ct to take
This is a bit of an issue regarding efficiency tbh - because since any self produced kWh effectively only costs me 8ct (the pv is there anyway), it doesn’t make any sense to be efficient about energy use anymore 🙈

Last edited:
^yeah that's a thing now.
If they're not paying you for giving them electricity (or atleast not nearly enough), it does make more financial sense to use said electricity immediately

^yeah that's a thing now.
If they're not paying you for giving them electricity (or atleast not nearly enough), it does make more financial sense to use said electricity immediately
yeah there's even a product I could get that just dumps any excess electricity into a simple resistive immersion heater for our hot water. I'm still waiting for my SG ready heat pump interface, so maybe that already has a similar effect. it sounds all fancy, but it's just a dumb switch telling the heat pump "there is excess, raise target temps by 10°C, if you feel like it" - which honestly, from what you read online, is actually more sensible than actually trying to get the heat pump to follow any excess exactly, since that leads to a bunch of compressor start/stop cycles, while this "dumb" interface leaves it up to the heat pump internal logic to keep that limited.

More? Yeees :burnrubber:
IMG_1663.jpeg

Yes the gaps are there for a reason and yes I will be putting something in there so nobody falls down.

IT LIVES!
… and since the sun has already turned too far, it’s currently delivering a whopping 400 additional Watts!
Also look how nice these semi-transparent panels are from the back (doesn’t quite come across, but the rear is actually blue). Yeeees 🥰
IMG_1676.jpeg

Also check out the mess that is my temporary install. Oh boy 🙈
IMG_1674.jpeg

Changed to winters today. Founda little chip/scrape in the summer rims that I’ll have to fix. Took about double the time it would otherwise have because of neighbors/passersby insisting on having a chat - makes you realize how much foot-traffic comes through our street.

Car is at as near as makes no difference 100kkm.

No longer able to charge entirely off solar, but quite happy with how far (in the year) I got with that.

Nothing else to report, which is good, I guess?

Car is at as near as makes no difference 100kkm.
still... lol
Nothing else to report, which is good, I guess?
also: buy a car from california they said. it's gonna be fun, they said.

at -8°C and admittedly with only a very limited time for heatnig the car up of like 5 minutes, my passenger side mirror is frozen in the folded position. did not thaw out during the 45 min drive to work (well, how would it, with -8°C and the 120 km/h wind). charge port also frozen shut - that could get interesting, cause I'm currently sitting at 40% (so probably 30% when I set off back home because COLD), so I definitely have to charge once I get back home. windows are also, strangely enough, still frozen to the seals... i'd have expected those to at least thaw with the interor being warm and cozy for 45 minutes. But I guess not... oh well, will heat up the car a little longer this afternoon before setting off to give it a chance to thaw through without blasting it all with cold autobahn air again straightaway.

Ok Easter holiday is creeping up on us and we decided to take some bikes! At least two. Maybe a third.

And because of my overwhelming wisdom, back in early 2019 whenI ordered the car, I decided not to spend 1600€ on a tow hitch.

Soooo… roof rack it is! Will try and pick up one original (albeit second hand) pair of Tesla bars (whatever rebranded thing those are) next week from some guy near my work and have additionally ordered 3 Thule freeride bike carriers to go on top of those. The latter were surprisingly reasonably priced, so I’m actually not even all that mad about my abovementioned wisdom. In total the roof setup should cost about the same as a rear hitch carrier would… and those 1600€ sure pay for a LOT of electricity in reduced efficiency because of the added drag (this probably is quite considerable).

Unteresting! Because I did splurge for the overpriced towbar when ordering my Kia, and while it’s not being used as much now, I still like having the option of taking 3 bikes without sacrificing luggage space. Because of where the bikes are, I hardly see any impact on consumption though. Also, when taking the bikes I rarely go more than 100 kms one way so it doesn’t really matter…

I heard terrible things about range with bikes on the roof though (+30 -50% higher especially on highways) so keen to hear how it went

I heard terrible things about range with bikes on the roof though (+30 -50% higher especially on highways) so keen to hear how it went
Yeah that’s my biggest issue with it… from a cost prospective there’s no argument this is much cheaper than the tow bar, but I’m really interested to see how annoying a longer drive will be this way because of the increased consumption.

Also, when taking the bikes I rarely go more than 100 kms one way so it doesn’t really matter…
We’ll be going for Easter and summer holidays with the bikes, and while the former should be in range without charging on the way, the latter most definitely won’t be.

Also: let’s see whether my panorama roof is placed correct or whether it’ll just go bang the moment I put the roof rack on there 🙈 seeing how I still have a fairly early car, there may be issues there.

Will try and pick up one original (albeit second hand) pair of Tesla bars (whatever rebranded thing those are) next week from some guy near my work
And done. Except for missing the protective tape (that is single use after all) they look near new. Will see how that goes in two weeks time.
Also changed the car over to summer wheels, so I fully expect us to get some snow soon…
While doing that I took a look at the brakes and… yeah, they look like complete ASS. I don’t think I’ll be able to actually just brake them back to acceptable condition, so probably will need to have those replaced. Ugh.

On the one hand, you can say "I don't need brakes, just strong regen", which is technically correct.
Noticed that the AWD EV6 I drove had a much more noticable "drag", obviously from 2 motors both regenning.

On the other hand, it's been 5 (?) years since you own this thing, some stuff just wears out over time.

On the one hand, you can say "I don't need brakes, just strong regen", which is technically correct.
On the other hand, it's been 5 (?) years since you own this thing, some stuff just wears out over time.
Yeah with the regen the advantage somehow turns into a disadvantage at some point down the line… when the brakes just go to crap because of too little use 🤷‍♂️
But yeah, as you say, at least it’s been five years…

I think it's inevitable that EV brakes are going to need a self-cleaning feature in the near future. Having brakes replaced due to under-usage seems ridiculous. I don't know what the lifespan of a brake pad compound is but I bet it's at least 10 years.

I think it's inevitable that EV brakes are going to need a self-cleaning feature in the near future
It’s not like it’s a particularly difficult problem to solve or some kind of new idea or something… I think it was with the bmw x5? where the brakes would hold onto a large film of water and thus have rather bad initial performance in wet weather, which they fixed by automatically ever so slightly applying the brakes to dry them off 🤷‍♂️

It’s not like it’s a particularly difficult problem to solve or some kind of new idea or something… I think it was with the bmw x5? where the brakes would hold onto a large film of water and thus have rather bad initial performance in wet weather, which they fixed by automatically ever so slightly applying the brakes to dry them off 🤷‍♂️
And it's not like you would even notice this happening with an EV during normal driving, you aren't going to hear an engine not change or feel the car slow down during a gear change, acceleration can easily be kept the same. Unless you're matting it everywhere, in which case the brakes are probably being used anyway!