Ownership Verified: Another Tesla lurking in the shadows...

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Babboe Deathtrap
If the boss demands it, I'll comply :)
*cough* someone needs a new car thread *cough*
20200625_052112762_iOS.jpg

I've had the car since June 2019 and at this point it's sitting at ~45Mm - so it gets to run. It's a normal LR/AWD model with the new FSD-computer (I was kinda worried whether I'd get that straight from the factory or not). The wheels (https://www.thenewaero.com/) have been on since this summer, the winters are the boring Aero plastic caps that are usually standard (but which I actually rather like).
Apart from the wheels I haven't done anything to it, except add a samsung T5 ssd for semi-legal dashcam shenanigans and a chinesium qi charging pad for the phone. Random blast from the past: the frunk contains my super old K2 kickboard from like 2000 or something for faster last-mile transportation from the charger to my destination (or, mostly, for the literal last mile between my home and the still free charging at a nearby P&R spot):
jhrqg56b-HdfpzYPzRhUsHNB9RNWETVEq0vldk0Y03E-1536x2048.jpg

Anyway, stuff of note: been hit in the rear by a sleeping (or on the phone more likely) dutchman - but luckily American cars are made to be bumped and nothing actually happened (only lost a little paint). Also I decided to decapitate the passenger side mirror, it's currently still holding together for some reason but I'll have it replaced soon-ish (TM). Parts availability for Tesla is an utter nightmare (and I'm not gonna pretend it isn't) - I've had to get the windscreen replaced in February and delivery of that to the shop took about 8 weeks.

This week I also visited possibly the newest and nicest supercharger in Germany and even managed to arrive with 5% battery left to experience ridiiiiculous charging speeds. Sadly battery was too low to actually have it pre-conditioned and so I only got up to 210 kW ;-)
20201021_092456925_iOS.jpg
20201018_133334345_iOS.jpg

Regarding verification... does my name in the above shot already suffice? :) Or this screenshot from the app side by side with the logged-in forums maybe?
20201021_122539000_iOS.jpg

I really dig those wheels!

Another ones bites the dust. :O

I really dig those wheels!

Me too (obviously :D) - but I feel they're sort of a love/hate thing. I've encountered people who feel they're super ugly.

I presume they come with an ABE, so no issues getting them TÜV-certified in Germany?

According to the maker I don't even have to carry any paperwork at all or have them entered in the cars paperwork or anything because ECE approval or whatever - but since I'm not really sure, I carry all the paperwork with me nonetheless...

TNA website said:
[...] our wheels have the UN ECE-R124 type approval. This means they are approved for use in all the participating countries without paperwork.
addition: this is true for the AWD, but there is a separate ABE for the M3P.

Looking good, always good to see another Model 3. Now, since it was mentioned, those wheels aren't to my tastes but it would be boring if we all liked the same things!

Clearly the old fashioned, manual scooter needs to be replaced with an electric one. :LOL:

Clearly the old fashioned, manual scooter needs to be replaced with an electric one.
I've been looking for one that'd fit in the frunk since I got the car :p Although again, Germany being Germany, my selection is limited to ones that are legal here - meaning top speed of 20 and a bunch of other rules and a certification. Found nothing so far, but I'm not giving up.

Oh, I knew those wheels reminded me of something: Alpina wheels!

1603324428678.png

Last edited:
Woke up the other day to lightly frosted roofs all around - seems night temperatures have dropped enough to warrant winter tires, so I put the other set on. NO MORE NICE WHEELS DAMN IT, back to plastic aero caps it is! Actually I’m not too bothered, as I actually quite like the Model 3 aero caps (unlike the model y Aeros...).
Crazy people at the tire shop inflated to something like 3.1 bar, because I wasn’t paying attention - now I need to fix that, ride is atrocious!

Crazy people at the tire shop inflated to something like 3.1 bar, because I wasn’t paying attention - now I need to fix that, ride is atrocious!
I was at the tyre shop this week too, and as is my habit, I left a note saying "2.0 bar on all wheels" for the mechanic to find when he drives the car onto the lift. Incidentally I waited right next to my car so when he found the note, he asked me skeptically if that's really correct...

Well to be honest it’s not that far off the recommended 2.9... but still!

Since when did you move to Köln? D:
About the same time I suddenly went missing from here... sooo about 3 years ago maybe? Idiot that I am I changed jobs twice since then but still work in Aachen.

Update: had my passenger side mirror replaced (only 8 week wait for parts, wow!) and also had this shit fixed from summer holiday in Denmark (left: thx tesla dashcam, right: result!). Luckily, squishy french car is squishy (to enable Paris-style parking I suppose?)...
1605531218637.png

Shamelessly quoting myself because story time related to this car from last year ?

Fingers crossed that everything foes well. Delivery can be a bit of an Experience...

I went through a total of 3 delivery appointments - I don’t know why and I don’t really care to know either, but that sure was a bit of a rollercoaster (especially as they were super late with the paperwork and I went and registered the car on the actual day I was supposed to be picking it up only to be told while waiting at the DMV that my delivery had to be moved again...). In the end i picked it up in a nearby (River) harbor district that mostly seemed to be used to ship out used beaters... but one quarter of the warehouse was model 3 deliveries. When I arrived it sure felt like a scam and someone wanted to harvest my organs or sth. At least they did have a (tiny) Tesla sign at the gates... mind you this was early summer of 2019, so different times, but i think they’re still doing deliveries out of that dodgy warehouse ?

As leviathan quickly figured out, this happened in Neuss. Edit: Judging by the pictures in the Google Maps entry (both of which didn’t exist last year when I picked up), quite a lot has happened at the site. So against all evidence, some feedback gets taken into consideration at Tesla after all...

About the same time I suddenly went missing from here... sooo about 3 years ago maybe? Idiot that I am I changed jobs twice since then but still work in Aachen.

Nice! - Well, when the pandemic is over we should have a meet somewhere :)

... no joke, replacement side mirror took 8 weeks for me. At a certified Tesla bodyshop (I don't know whether they'll even ship to anyone else, probably not?). New windscreen at the beginning of this year also 8 weeks. That one could've been a real bummer (I was lucky, chip was small).

If anything goes wrong with the car, it's currently more or less of a nightmare (but always a nightmare). At least my broken door handle (stupid door handles...) was a warranty replacement.
Crosspost time!

Posted about the first half of that already above... but not about my stupid door handle!
Anyway, one day after getting into the car and closing the door i distinctly heard something fall down inside the door. At the time I thought it was a branch of the tree I had parked beneath that had tumbled down or something... but turns out no, the damper that slows the doorhandle when you release it, had fallen off. To make that a little more clear, have this random picture from google:
1606144779622.png

You press the fat part, then pull on the skinny. This mechanism is spring loaded so it retracts back into the door... and then has a little damper that makes the whole thing smooth. Yeah, gone. Seems to have happened to a few people. Result: if not careful, the damn thing would snap back into the door rather forcefully. Not too bad, if you remember, but a little annoying.
Anyhoo - 4 weeks wait for the service appointment in Dusseldorf (Cologne service didn't exist back then, also basically same distance - stupid Rhine river) where at least they fixed it on warranty (took them 4 hours total).

Anyway, one day after getting into the car and closing the door i distinctly heard something fall down inside the door. This mechanism is spring loaded so it retracts back into the door... and then has a little damper that makes the whole thing smooth. Yeah, gone.
Whaaat. fuck :D