Ownership Verified: Another Tesla lurking in the shadows...

Pre-TÜV roadtrip/ringmeet is the obvious solution.

Last edited:
I forgot (or possibly never knew) that TÜV depends on distance covered and not just years. MOT here is just three years for a new car.

Glad it went through without many issues. Scoring on brakes isn't ideal, EV manufacturers may have to re-think the concept of brakes entirely if lack of use becomes an issue.

I forgot (or possibly never knew) that TÜV depends on distance covered and not just years. MOT here is just three years for a new car.

Glad it went through without many issues. Scoring on brakes isn't ideal, EV manufacturers may have to re-think the concept of brakes entirely if lack of use becomes an issue.

TÜV for a brand new car is 3 years, after that two years. KMs don't matter

I’ll definitely make sure to do some hard braking right before next TÜV in two years, just to see whether that helps in any way

The cleanest my brakes have ever been was after 2 Ring laps at Ringmeet. Just saying :p

Yeah the km I just put in as an info - nothing to do with TÜV.

Regarding brakes: VW is doing rear drums again because of this. Good easy solution tbh - don’t see much of the drums with those mostly closed EV wheels anyway.
Renault has gone from rear drums to discs with the new Zoe… which I don’t get. Oh well.

The cleanest my brakes have ever been was after 2 Ring laps at Ringmeet. Just saying :p
And the 'Ring is not far from Köln ;-)

And there are superchargers in Nürburg :p:p
Yeees yeees 😝

TÜV for a brand new car is 3 years, after that two years. KMs don't matter
Yeah ignore me I was just going by the first date in the thread rather than the first line where you said you got it in June 2019. :LOL:

Regarding brakes: VW is doing rear drums again because of this. Good easy solution tbh - don’t see much of the drums with those mostly closed EV wheels anyway.
Renault has gone from rear drums to discs with the new Zoe… which I don’t get. Oh well.

Yeees yeees 😝

Once mine arrives we can go meet up there, bring the kids and I will bring mine :-D

Yeah ignore me I was just going by the first date in the thread rather than the first line where you said you got it in June 2019. :LOL:
Yeah… registered 31.05.2019 - so 05/2019. but delivered mid June since they moved the delivery date twice.

Quick post, nearing 75kkm... not a lot of driving lately. Oh well...
After my pre-TÜV checks at the service center they randomly scheduled mobile service for the rear-camera wiring harness recall. Guy came buy our house and starting taking half the car apart for that. Done after about 45 minutes, all good, no additional rattles or anything. According to him, they don't, as I originally thought, actually check the cable for any issues or wear or anything, but just replace it if it's a certain type. So he said basically he is at 100% of those that he gets to look at also actually get replaced. Some time in 2020 they seem to have made adjustments to prevent the issue... no idea.
anyway: mobile service good. nothing else to report, except that alignment indeed seems to have lowered my consumption somewhat, as I had hoped, but it's still a bit all over the place (as it's always been). same route, same conditions, sometimes 14, sometimes 17 kWh/100 km :dunno: don't care, still fairly low, so i'm happy.
oh edit edit: had a tesla wall connector just lying around in my future garage for a few weeks now, waiting for the electrician and the works on the house to go a little further to have that thing installed... it'll go where the current door to the house is, so i actually have to wait for them to put the half-wall in and get that insulated and plastered and then (!) i can get the damn thing mounted. ugh. it'll still take a while I guess. also have a spare glass front fascia for that thing, since I ordered the grey replacement, which i'll probably never get rid of, because who the hell would want the stock white one (that, despite being made of glass, somehow looks like cheap-o-plastic) and how would you ever manage to damage that thing without killing the whole unit in the process. meh.

Well... update on that... my car has strange hiccups with updates at the moment. After that post above, I had a few update notifications:
- first, 2022.20.something hotfix. ok.
- after that, two solid weeks of "a game update is available", which i did not bother with the hotspot for.
- yesterday: 2022.28.x, alright alright time to get out the hotspot. some 5 GB of traffic later, the progress bar sits at 100%, still shows the green "downloading" marker, and shows 0 B/s speeds. fair enough, that's the usual once the download is finished and the car is sorting through data or whatever.
- then, however, another 45 min drive with active hotspot and the car constantly stuck on those 0B/s still downloading status.
- this morning, come back, activate hotspot to resume download, check status after 15 min only to see: car downloading 2022.24.8. and at 50%.
- after the full 45 min drive: back to 100%, 0 B/s and doing nothing.

what the shit is going on, honestly? did they recall the 28 update while my car was already downloading it? why isn't it finishing any of the updates currently? is it refusing to update unless it's finished offloading whatever kind of data it is sending/receiving in addition to the update itself (explaining the massive amounts of data it's consuming)? I dunno... will have 100mbit temporary connection at our house from 7.10., so the car will at least spend some time in a regular wifi environment and can do whatever the hell it pleases. I think running purely off a phone hotspot somehow seems to hit some limits at some point :dunno:
crosspooooost :D
TL; DR: car seems to be in OTA limbo because it never sees a regular wifi for any decent amount of time (only phone hotspot while driving, max. 60 min at a time).

also have a spare glass front fascia for that thing, since I ordered the grey replacement, which i'll probably never get rid of, because who the hell would want the stock white one (that, despite being made of glass, somehow looks like cheap-o-plastic) and how would you ever manage to damage that thing without killing the whole unit in the process. meh.
also: my wife somehow managed to get rid of that thing on the classifieds for a whopping 50€. I still don't understand how anyone could ever possibly need this part. Oh well, I'm not complaining... :dunno:

TL; DR: car seems to be in OTA limbo because it never sees a regular wifi for any decent amount of time (only phone hotspot while driving, max. 60 min at a time).
UPDATE TO EAT MY OWN WORDS!
after sitting overnight, suddenly the 50% downloaded 2022.24 update was ready to install. according to @leviathan, that should've disabled my radar... and after some 100 km of autobahn and b-road, I have to say it's pretty much flawless so far. no step down, nothing. If I wouldn't have known, I would've never guessed. whoop-di-doo! so yeah, getting rid of radar: still daft, but it seems to have worked so far (no crap weather driving or anything like that yet).

anyway: back to "game update available", the 2022.28 update I saw for all of one 45 min drive seems to have disappeared again. also the turn signal cam is not in a stupid position anymore and it seems a little more intuitive to get to the light settings (that I never actually need except in rain - because why also turn on the lights if the wipers are going full tilt anyway?). so far so good. nice update. now give me apple music pls :|

Update 2022.28 should re-appear after you get the game updates. I believe with .24 or .28 you can also uninstall the games that you don't want, that should also allow to skip those.

Update 2022.28 should re-appear after you get the game updates.
ah crap, alright time to roast the sim card I guess :mouse: thanks for the info
edit: or wait for our house to get its stupid DSL line first week of october and ignore the little "download pending" icon. it's mocking me! :p

I upped my data allowance to 60Gb specifically in case I needed to use it for Tesla updates, turns out it could get WiFi from the house once I put a spare AP in the front window. An antenna kit for the car would be nice. Or just free 5G for updates, wouldn't be too much to ask.

You shouldn't even need premium connectivity TBH, it's in their interest to keep the car up to date too so it should just happen. Funny how these things seem more odd when you stop to look at them.

Oh for sure - maybe not as frequent or something, but still. AFAIK if the update is considered critical, the car will pull it via its own LTE, but only then. Not even delivering updates through the cars mobile connection if people do pony up for the connectivity subscription however just seems a bit greedy...

Yeah... The car had already downloaded the update when I picked it up, I just had to install it...

At the new house I will have very good wifi for the car ... I am setting up an AP outside for it ... Feel free to come visit if you need to update your car @eizbaer :-D