Anthony Bourdain

^ Just saw that last night actually. To be honest I didn't like it much, he made it way too dramatic. For someone who I'm guessing experienced 9/11 firsthand I was surprised he seemed so troubled by it. But it''s interesting they got to Beirut a day before the whole ordeal started.

I'm enjoying the show so far, but I find most episodes are either superb or pretty bad. For instance, the Indian episode in Rajasthan was one of my favourites, and the following episode on Kolkata/Mumbai was pretty much a waste of an hour for me.

I finished season 2 of No Reservations and because he keeps referring to many horrible and disastrous first visits to certain places, I decided to go back and watch his first show, A Cook's Tour, before I continue the rest of the second series.

Is it any good? Or does he hate Food Network because his show sucked?

In either case, both seasons of A Cook's Tour are available if you look in the right places. :mrgreen:

A Cook's Tour was his first foray into the whole TV show thing. He himself admits that he made tons and tons of mistakes filming it, but it's still a good watch. The man difference between A Cook's Tour and No Reservations is that A Cook's Tour is solely focused on food, whereas he delves into the cultural side of things more and more in No Reservations.

I have both seasons of A Cook's Tour, but I wish I had to time to upload them somewhere for you.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be as good. But we'll see if I'm enough of a die hard fan to enjoy it. I just want to make sure I progress as he did. :D

Well, I wouldn't say it's not as good. To the casual viewer, you can hardly tell the difference, other than each episode of No Reservations is twice as long. It's a worthy watch for sure, and you actually see him interact with Gordon Ramsay, which is always a plus.

http://anthony-bourdain-blog.travelchannel.com/read/goodbye-to-all-tha
My one and half year old baby daughter loves olives. And caper berries. And salty parmigiano reggiano cheese. Her love of rabbits (as food) is already well established. But I discovered today that she adores polenta--served with the hot, rendered fat of roasted game birds. And that she goes absolutely bat shit over risotto made with wild nettles. And when her Mom dips a finger in the local red wine, she greatly prefers it to juice. This makes me very proud.
^^
The proper way to raise children. Stop coddling them!

I saw him on Letterman a few months back, and he was saying how the baby's mom, who is Italian-American, was having prosciutto flavoured baby food sent over. :?

But what else can you expect from Tony Bourdain's kid?

^ Love the bit about Chicken McNuggets. :lol:

And his hatred of Rachael Ray is so refreshing and entertaining.

Great interview with him:

that was a truly great interview, all along I was hoping it wouldn't end, he could talk forever and I would listen!

edit: I think this is the picture mentioned in the interview.... :wicked:

f_nearnudeboum_4a997d0.jpg

And I got a bit curios about his Italian wife, very nice I think! :thumbup:

f_BourdainFL0m_2e15c80.jpg

Anthony and wife on Miami Ink, didn't know it was her wife when I saw the episode.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t7jWb_C6YU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Anyone know where I could order a knife from that knife blacksmith (Inotada?) Tony visited in Tokyo? I've tried google, but I've given up. :(

LOL....

You're expecting that kind of knife maker to have a website?

Firstly, you have to ask yourself: "Are you a professional chef that can make the most of that knife". I'm guessing the answer would be no, but I don't know who you are or what you do. Personally, an over the counter, high-quality brand name knife would cover all your needs, and them some.

I personally have a Wusthof 9'' chef's knife that I purchased from a local knife dealer, which cost me around $200. Best knife I've ever used, and I can't see a custom-made $X,000 knife doing any better for me.

Last edited:
^ Love the bit about Chicken McNuggets. :lol:

And his hatred of Rachael Ray is so refreshing and entertaining.

you should check out his Guest Spot on Michael Ruhlman's blog. he goes through each of the people on the food network it's pretty funny

Anyone know where I could order a knife from that knife blacksmith (Inotada?) Tony visited in Tokyo? I've tried google, but I've given up. :(

I doubt you will find him on the net however check out Korin for a really good selection of super high end japanese cutlery

Last edited: