Anthony Bourdain

^Yeah it choked me up good. I think that the image New England has is pretty much from the movie Stand By Me but from Maine to Vermont its eating itself up. The problem is that Med's and Ed's economy had one hell of a backlash. I've seen it and it scared me the hell away from practicing criminal law. Everyone is in a jail either one of their own making or concrete.

Hi, can anyone identify music from one of the episodes? Its Parts Unknown season 4, episode 8 "Jamaica", the music starts at 27:05. Thaaaanks!

http://www.eater.com/2015/3/24/8284247/anthony-bourdains-parts-unknown-season-five-premiere-date

The fifth season will feature trips to Lebanon, Madagascar, and South Korea.

The fifth season of Anthony Bourdain's popular CNN travelogue Parts Unknown has its premiere date: According to a network representative, Parts will return for eight new episodes on Sunday, April 26, with the premiere episode dedicated to South Korea. Other episodes this season will highlight Bourdain's travels to New Jersey, Miami, Madagascar, and Lebanon. (Bourdain has famously visited the latter destination twice while filming No Reservations: First in 2006 as war was breaking out in Beirut, then again in 2010.)

Last fall's "cycle" of Parts Unknown averaged 715,000 total viewers in its Sunday-evening timeslot; most crucially to the network, it ranked #1 in the coveted 25-to-54-year-old demographic for all cable news networks in that time period. (Before the fourth season even aired, Fast Company christened Bourdain the "Future of Cable News," arguing the show's ongoing success "could lead an industry-wide shift toward a more documentary-focused cable-news landscape.")
Parts' fifth and sixth seasons were announced back in early 2014, promising four eight-episode cycles running throughout 2015 and 2016. Stay tuned for more installments of Quotable Bourdain as season five rolls out.

:woot:

Really hope there's a proper food episode in there. :hmm: I recall seeing pics of Bourdain on instagram doing game hunting in Scotland but don't know if it was filmed.

I personally always savour the food-centric episode of the season the most (like Montreal, Noma or Lyon). The last season didn't really have such an episode. :/

Just discovered "The Layover" on netflix. Neat format, having Tony spend anything between 24 and 48 hours in a few select cities... that totally makes me want to go for some two or three day trips :)

Just discovered "The Layover" on netflix. Neat format, having Tony spend anything between 24 and 48 hours in a few select cities... that totally makes me want to go for some two or three day trips :)

Makes for a really good cliff note to do list prior to leaving for a place. Used the Singapore ep to great effect last time I went over for the F1.

No. in
Season
No. in
Series
TitleAirdate
136"Prime Cuts: Season Four"April 26, 2015
A retrospective of season four and preview of season five.
237"Korea"April 26, 2015
338"Miami"May 3, 2015
439"Scotland"May 10, 2015
540"Madagascar"May 17, 2015
641"New Jersey"May 31, 2015
742"Budapest"June 7, 2015
843"Hawaii"June 14, 2015
944"Beirut"June 21, 2015

Quite liked the first episode of the season. Very unusual to tell a story totally backwards like that, but it worked. They are certainly challenging themselves by coming up with so many new ideas all the time.

Quite liked the first episode of the season. Very unusual to tell a story totally backwards like that, but it worked. They are certainly challenging themselves by coming up with so many new ideas all the time.

Quite the contrary opinion here ... I though it pretty much sucked. I had the impression (I cannot validate it) they shot the episode normally but the episode pretty much sucked in the end. So in the hope that this sort of twist would rescue the episode, they made this little (failed) experiment. Why it still failed IMHO? This show is all about the segments of the show and connecting them into one episode. And the segments by themselves were quite weak and uninspiring. Actually boring for the most part. Going through the motions and the locations weren?t that interesting ...

What I am looking very much forward to this season are the New Jersey and the Budapest episodes ...

Last edited:
yeah, the episode didn't quite work for me either. I'd actually love to see it the right way round, because I feel I would enjoy it more. Strange episode for a strange country and all that, I can sort of understand their thinking, but that was just a little too much.

Only me who got a 'The Layover' sense with this episode? Maybe it was just the maps fooling me. I dunno.

not just you, very layover'y indeed.
somehow that episode showed me beyond any doubt that i'd hate miami :|

I don't know what kind of face that is. I was really disappointed by this one. It was short, it skimped on food (maybe because there isn't a whole lot worth showing there), and Darren Aronofsky was such a drag on the whole thing. I wanted to like him because I love his movies but he's more annoying than Zamir.

Enjoyed this last episode. The only question I'm left with is how the f--- does Lebanon manage to work out?:blink:

As someone who as lived in Israel, that last episode was so hard to watch because Beirut is so awesome and so close and so inaccessible for me. The Hezbollah stuff was pretty scary, and so was that artist guy. I really wanted to like him but, then he tried to argue that Lebanese Jews were not virtually expelled as they became marginalized. Dude tried to rewrite history...

The Hezbollah stuff was both scary and interesting at the same time. Certainly, what they did years ago was not great, but I can understand why they have current support based on their military capacity in protecting the citizens.

http://www.eater.com/2015/8/24/9197...parts-unknown-sixth-season-cuba-cnn-september

The upcoming sixth season of master pancake maker Anthony Bourdain's popular CNN travelogue show Parts Unknown has a premiere date. According to a network spokesperson, Bourdain and his crew will return to television screens September 27. Like in seasons past, the show will likely have eight episodes, and the first episode will follow Bourdain as he travels to Cuba.
Since it first aired, the show has been widely successful and has won a number of Emmy Awards and a Peabody Award. Last season Bourdain and his team visited locales like Beirut, Budapest, and Miami. While details about this season are scarce, it's safe to assume Bourdain will hit multiple corners of the globe.