• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Any chance Top Gear will review the Corvette again?

zeoniks

Car(s)
2007 Nissan Murano
I wish they would give the Corvette another chance. It's a really great car. If they don't like the C6 maybe they'll try the Ligenfelter C6 Corvette.

Seems to me that Clarkson was the only one that wasn't convinced.
BTW :welcome:

They absolutely have to review the Ligenfelter Corvette though. Look at the numbers:

Vehicle type:: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe
Price as tested:$78,173 (base price: $71,778)
Engine type:pushrod 16-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, GM/LPE engine-control system with port fuel injection
Displacement428 cu in, 7007cc
Power (SAE net)500 bhp @ 5800 rpm
Torque (SAE net)530 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
Transmission6-speed manual
Wheelbase 104.5 in
Length 179.7 in
Curb weight 3275 lb
Zero to 60 mph 3.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph 7.8 sec
Zero to 110 mph n/a
Zero to 130 12.7 sec
Zero to 150 mph18.0 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph 4.4 sec
Standing 1/4-mile 11.7 sec @ 124 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph 152 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 0.98 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving 18 mpg

Put on some racing slicks and it will do 0-60 mph in 1.7 seconds.

I certainly would like to see it (and the Z06).

BTW, isn't it Lingenfelter?

At last they manage to get some "decent" bhp numbers out of engines that size :)

oh, do you really mean 0-100 km/h in 1.7 seconds? :shock:

Well, it was actually the "1.7 seconds" which seemed quite, ehm, extreme to me :)

Or am I wrong?

that is a little extreme half the time?

maybe they will they retested some other cars like the monaro but hammond would have to do it to compare to last time

I would really like to see them do the Z06, I think they would like it even though its American.

In one of his videos, Clarkson did do a test of some modified corvette described as a $50,000 modification of a $50,000 car, all of it on the engine.

It went forwards extremely quickly, but insufficient work to the brakes and suspension (well, none at all, actually), resulted in a fast, but horrible, car.

NTM

vanMould said:
Puch-rods, two valves per cylinder and 7 liters...how sophisticated :roll:
But you know you love it. :p

Jeremy had fun with the Viper, and that has two extra cylinders and 1.3 more liters, and the same output. About as sophisticated as banging two rocks to light a fireplace, but that's the beauty of it. :thumbsup:

(I'm desperately not trying to piss off Viper007Bond, since I'm new and he, erm, kind of owns the place. Can't you tell? 8) )

BlaRo said:
vanMould said:

No I don't! I want boatloads of camchafts, at least 5 valves per cylinder, variable compression, more turbos than you can count on your fingers and so much carbonfibre that it looks as if Nasa has taken a crap under the bonnet ;)

But seriously, I think the Corvette could use some european engineering...

vanMould said:
BlaRo said:
vanMould said:

No I don't! I want boatloads of camchafts, at least 5 valves per cylinder, variable compression, more turbos than you can count on your fingers and so much carbonfibre that it looks as if Nasa has taken a crap under the bonnet ;)

But seriously, I think the Corvette could use some european engineering...
Oh, you wimp...any real man will tell you all you need is a big iron-block V8, a set of carbs the size of your head, and some wheels. ;)
Anything else, and you're a pinko Commie bastard. :yes:

Although the engineers at Chevy (as oxymoronic as that seems) did shorten the Corvette and tighten up the handling, and (gasp!) made the interior a bit more shinier. So that's about as European as they're ever going to get. :thumbup:

Don't get me wrong, I like camshafts and valves too... :mrgreen:

The build quality of a Corvette is still BLAH. However, it is an extremely fun car to drive! It's America's only true sports car. It's a very cheaply made version of a hardcore sports car. I personally would pay extra to get a well made hardcore sports car. (Americans aren't really picky with interiors or gaping holes so they can get away with it.)

Actually, Jeremy does like the Corvette. Contrary to what he said on Top Gear, his article on the Sunday Times reveals his real opinion on the car.

vanMould said:

Just because it's a pushrod don't assume it isn't sophisticated.

"Sure, it makes 500hp, but I'd rather have a heavier, more complex, taller, less powerful engine because it has the right technological chops", is that what you'd say? I don't care how you make it -- 5 valve DOHC, forced induction, big displacement pushrods, angry hamsters -- just give me the power.

And let me remind you that "old" technology isn't always bad -- Russian fighter jets achieve performance on par with its Western contemporaries but they are based on old technology (still use vacuum tubes for example).

Anyway, the LS7 is sophisticated -- 427 smallblock (never achieved before), 7000 RPM redline, all aluminum (block and heads), composite intake manifold, titanium connecting rods and crank, six bolt forged steel mains, dry sump lubrication, massive 2.2 inch intake valves -- this is a race motor in a street car.

And finally, there are disadvantages to a OHC motor versus a pushrod so don't be so quick to throw out the old design.

A pushrod has a single cam in the block (single moving assembly versus two or four) for fewer moving parts, lower center of gravity, and a lower profile.

An OHC multivalve system, especially on a V8, gets more complex -- two cams (OHC) or four cams (DOHC) sit atop the heads, raising the profile (bye bye sleek hood) and raising the center of gravity. Now a series of chains has to make its way over to each head assembly (more driven off the central shaft), four cams are spinning instead of one (more rotating mass and parasitic loss), and more mechanical motion has to come to drive those four valves, in addition to being more parts that can break. Complex isn't always better.

If you forget what the Italian supercars do for a moment (that's a whole other league), the contemporaries of the LSx small block V8s are always heavier, taller, and less powerful (be it the GM stablemate Northstar engines, Ford's 4.6 DOCH, etc). So once again, if you prefer sophistication over horsepower, maybe you should become a fan of the Prius.

Anyway, back on topic, I sure hope they get to review the Z06 and maybe even the Blue Devil.

And I hope they continue to refine the Corvette (yes it isn't where it needs to be quality-wise, but look at the improvements made from the C4 and they're definitely headng in the right direction). Maybe someday they can finally figure out how to make an interior like Honda does at GM.

As to the cheap interior, anyon who drives a sports car puts up with inconveniences of the design and build -- I put up with a lot of cr*p from my Porsche. How a car puts me in my seat (front to back or side to side) is what's important for me, otherwise I'd have a Honda Accord. Things like comfort, fit and finish, etc. are secondary. The Corvette follows that suit but they haven't given up on the niceties completely.