Any excellent handling front-wheel drive cars?

thatd be awesome thanks!

The first fifteen they picked (in chronological order) :

VW Golf GTi mark 1, Peugeot 205 GTI, Lotus Elan, VW Corrado VR6, Renault Clio Williams, Peugeot 106 Rallye, Fiat Barchetta, Honda Integra Type-R, Ford Puma, Peugeot 306 Rallye, Ford Focus RS, VW Golf GTI mark 5, Renault Clio Trophy, Mini Cooper S Works GP, Renault Clio 197.

They missed out (but mentioned as "we missed this out") the original Mini Cooper ("too classic"), the mark 2 Golf GTI (already had 2 golfs), Citroen Saxo VTS and Peugeot 106 GTI (covered by the 106 Rallye), Renault 5 GT Turbo, Renault 19 16v, Clio 172 Cup and 182, Fiat Tipo Sedicivalvole, Citroen AX GT, Citroen ZX Volcane, Peugept 309 GTI, Honda Accord Type-R (no reason given)...

The final six (sixth to first) were the Mark 5 Golf GTI, the Mini Cooper S Works GP, the Peugept 205 GTI, the Clio Williams, the Clio Trophy, and the Honda Integra Type-R coming first - "one of the truly great drivers' cars of any kind".

Scanning through that there's a fair number of those cars that've never seen the light of day in the States. If there's even more interest, and I've more desire to not-study, I'll scan the article (if that's still allowed!).

Last edited:
original mini

bmw mini

Well it seems you want something really chuckable, because if you find the GTI sluggish as it has more power then the Mini which is why i did not like it.
But again, i love the GTI so i would push that. But the Mazda MPS3 is good, but, with that much power its going to be a handful and might fall below the Mini if that is your base standard.
I am a big RWD fan BTW, but i love this GTI!

Ford Fiesta Zetec-S and ST, which I don't think they sell in the US. Not the fastest cars in the world, but such, such fun to drive. I've got the 1.6 Zetec-S

wallpapers%5Ccars%5Cford%5Cford_fiesta_st%5Cford_fiesta_st-0014.jpg

Wow, I cant believe North Americans haven't posted the best handling front wheel drive vehicle that was sold here: the Mazda MazdaSpeed Protege. Forget the ITR, this car is exceptional.

Really??? I was at an SCCA cone-track event a few years back and there was one there. My buddy drives a Ford Probe and is obsessed with Mazda, so he loved that car. The thing was, when it was the MPS turn to hit the track we never heard a tire squeal, a turbo, or any drama... but the times were AMAZING! We still don't know if it was the car or the driver. And, where I live there are maybe, MAYBE, 3 MPS here so it's not like we could ever go for a ride.

I love that car, and that orange is fantastic in person. Do you have any links regarding the MPS? I've searched all over for vids and stuff but could never find anything.

Lets not forget the first Nissan Sentra SE-R that thing is fantastic.

Autoblog write up

Suzuki SX4 isnt a "handling" car, it's more a solid AWD car to get through snow.

Suzuki is only "sporty" when 2 wheels/vehicle is involved.

But seeing as I forgot that this post was about front wheel drive cars, how about the old Honda CRX.

Yes, I've always heard the CRX was like a go-kart for the road. I'd love to drive one.

The Civic type-r, or is it the same as the civic si? Probably the model ending production in 06 would be better then 07's because they are more "hardcore".

Scanning through that there's a fair number of those cars that've never seen the light of day in Europe. If there's even more interest, and I've more desire to not-study, I'll scan the article (if that's still allowed!).

All of those were available in the UK. I presume you were meaning the Hondas?

Peugeot 205 gti. Want one. Badly.

205gti.jpg

Clarkson also rated the 106 gti very highly in one of his videos, not sure how biased that was though as he had Richard Burns when he was driving for peugeot on the show.

There are no great handling FWD cars. It's simply not possible. Tires can only do so much, and steering + putting power down is never going to be 'excellent.'

Steve

There are no great handling FWD cars. It's simply not possible. Tires can only do so much, and steering + putting power down is never going to be 'excellent.'

Steve

Now you see that just isn't true. When you put too much power, like with the Vauxhall/Opel VXR models, you do end up with something horrible, but I think we have already so far pretty much concluded that there are good, no, make that great handling FWD cars. Get over it.