Any HVAC people on here?

jebjeb

Car(s)
03 F150 Blown motor, 05 FX35, 13 Accord
My AC died and need some input on getting a new one.
I currently have a Carrier 38yxa 5 ton 13 seer unit single stage?
http://www.commercial.carrier.com/wcs/proddesc_display/0,2733,CLI1_DIV41_ETI4926_NBD_PRD710,00.html
Quote 1 is for a carrier 5 ton 13 seer model unknown for $6900
Quote 2 is for a a Rheem 5 ton 14.5 seer single stage 14PJM60A01
http://www.rheem.com/documents/rpnl-jaz-specification-sheets
for $2400 installed
Option 3 is a Trane XR 13 5 ton 14 seer single stage for $2800

So anyone who does this for a living care to give their 2 cents. Is the carrier really worth 4k more?
I know the 2 others are econo line but are they bad?
I just dont want to go down from what I have now.

I would avoid Rheem. From my experience, they seem to have a problem with quality and reliability. One of those was installed where I used to live, it went through several compressors and would never hold a charge properly. After being nothing but a burden, it was replaced by a Trane unit.

Before you agree to buy anything make sure you find an HVAC contractor that will do a Manual J Load Calculation. Replacing your HVAC system with the same size as your house had is the worst thing you can do. The chances it was sized correctly is very low.

Are you looking to replace just the A/C condenser (the big unit outside your house) or the furnace as well?

I ended up going with a Rheem 16 seer 5 ton,
Replaced both inside and outside. total was $5300
Had my guy come out and do the maths last year when it was starting to go bad.
Said the 5 ton is really boarder line for the house and it should have been 2x 3ton units but adding a whole second unit would add almost 9k to the cost.
I went ahead and replaced the inside also, seems the builder who did the house used a old r22 unit that was stopped being made 2 years before the house was built and converted to 410.
Had talked to a buddy in Canada does HVAC and he said they had so many issues with Trane they stopped using them. My long term HVAC guy who was the Carrier salesman said to do Rheem over Trane also.

I am looking to be out of the house in 2-3 years or maybe rent it out.