Clarkson: Any news on Clarkson?

s_k

Car(s)
Fiat Panda '04, Citro?n Axel, Volvo 340
I may be a bit of an oddball, but I guess I'm not the only one who's slightly worried about Clarkson.
I'm sure he's got a lot on his mind right now, but it's been over a week of total radio silence on his Twitter account.
That has never happened since he even got Twitter.

Sure hope he's not going to break under all this pressure.
He may be causing some of the trouble himself by being bold and honest (quite rightly so!), but I get the distinct feeling that this chain of events may
be tougher on him than all stuff that happened before.

So, anyone got any news?

He may be doing it so that that the media has nothing to turn against him. He'll be back once this all blows over.

Sure hope he will!
Media just stopped making sense... Now with the DJ that's fired (probably to take the pressure of Clarkson? ;)) because there's the word nigger in a song from the 30's!?
The word nigger is in almost every hiphop song from this year. What the hell!?

Sure hope he will!
Media just stopped making sense... Now with the DJ that's fired (probably to take the pressure of Clarkson? ;)) because there's the word nigger in a song from the 30's!?
The word nigger is in almost every hiphop song from this year. What the hell!?

That doesn't make it right, and I can't stand the word. That being said, this is a tempest in a teacup, and will soon blow over.

The word is just a word, its whatever you take it to be. If you keep thinking its a racist insult, it will keep being a racist insult. What matters is intent, not the word, and the intent was never there. Who comes out as an absolute ass in this whole thing is the tabloids and "journalists" who brewed this storm in a glass of water. That's if you even believe he said the word at all, Ive watched the clip, and it's more like "eenie meenie miny moe, ijgaoibmaoiboianobgnsaofbn, eenie meenie miny moe"

That being said, it does seem like a rough patch for Jeremy... there are rumors of his marriage being done, of him being involved with someone else. His wife is his manager, too, so thatd be another negative there.

@ That American Girl: That's why Clarkson didn't use it ;).

@ MPicco; We totally agree on that one. Overhere in the Netherlands, the word "Cancer" is really a big deal, when it comes to the (awful, for sure) disease.
Overthere it's a star sign... Just a word.
Dutch Media are messing around as well, our most 'serious' News bulletin, sort of like BBC news I guess, is saying he 'said the word nigger, but it was never broadcast'. He never even said it! Gets me thinking about not watching the news anymore at all.

And I was indeed also referring to his marriage. It's the stuff combined that sort of worries me about this total stranger. You do bond with the guys, don't ya ;).

Last edited:
The "last chance" thing is politics. It's a ruse. It means nothing at all. It is a clever way for the BBC to not fire Clarkson over an incident that would have gotten everyone else fired because he's too important to them commercially. You can't hand him a few-week ban like they did with Jonathan Ross, as that would be pointless when Top Gear is off-air and would basically mean a whole Series without him when TG is on the air, thus they had to be creative.

So what exactly happened? Clarkson said the n word and people got upset? (seriously?)

So what exactly happened? Clarkson said the n word and people got upset? (seriously?)
It's faaaaaar more silly than that.
In his own statement he says he murmled something trying to AVOID the N-word. He then saw the footage again and figured it still sounded too much like the N-word. So he sent an e-mail to the director and it was never broadcast. So he really said nothing, and whatever he said wasn't broadcast. Yet he gets the beating by the Mirror. I cannot understand such a paper still exists.

And then his wife left him because it's said that he cheated on her. Which could be true, I don't really care if it is.
We're all human, even if we're immensely famous. This happens. It's just sad that it's stacked on top of each other right now.

In case you wonder:
http://www.theguardian.com/media/video/2014/may/02/jeremy-clarkson-begs-forgiveness-n-word-video
The statement

Also, if we keep saying "N-word" as frequently as is done now, it will mean nigger sooner or later.

I think Clarkson is wisely laying low, to let the media uproar die down. Plus, given his impending divorce and the death of his mother back in March, he probably is not feeling very communicative at the moment. I wonder if May and Hammond will visit to cheer him up--I've always wondered how often the presenters hang out off-camera.

They probably would.

There are moments, however, when you not only want to be alone, you need it.

Also, if we keep saying "N-word" as frequently as is done now, it will mean nigger sooner or later.

It already does.

He should have known better. Even if you "modify" a racist joke by replacing a word or two, it still functions as perpetuating the cultural stratification of racism. In other words, it reminds people of the original joke, even if it does it implicitly.

It already does.

He should have known better. Even if you "modify" a racist joke by replacing a word or two, it still functions as perpetuating the cultural stratification of racism. In other words, it reminds people of the original joke, even if it does it implicitly.

Absolutely, sir. And even beyond that Clarkson, for all his horsing around, is a truly professional television presenter. He should know better than to utter that rhyme on camera, much less anything that might sound like that word while the cameras might be rolling. He knows every mic is always hot, every recorder always running. He simply got too comfortable in a particular situation and said something he shouldn't have.

Afterward, he saw the video and made sure that take wasn't used. That's fine as far as it goes. But someone on the production team had an axe to grind and saw that the video was released.

I feel for Clarkson. Here he is, trying to let his personality shine through on camera, and gets caught like this. Just another time when it sucks to be...human.

I think Clarkson is wisely laying low, to let the media uproar die down. Plus, given his impending divorce and the death of his mother back in March, he probably is not feeling very communicative at the moment. I wonder if May and Hammond will visit to cheer him up--I've always wondered how often the presenters hang out off-camera.

The three of them were filming on Sunday, so he's not laying too low.

That's why it was never broadcast, remember?

Haha, you'd like to think so.
Well, if you travel that far that often together, you must get along.
But I guess if you're together that often, you will at some point be glad when you can spend some time apart.

The three of them were filming on Sunday, so he's not laying too low.
Glad to hear he's alive at least :D.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.reddit.com/r/clarkson/comments/259o7g/sunday_times_column_4_may_2014_look_at_the_mess/
... And kicking, so it seems.