Any tips for a night-time photoshoot?

LeVeL

Forum Addict
I'm going to try shooting my friend's blue (wrb) Impreza WRX this coming weekend. It will be in the evening/night at a couple of different locations, including a parking garage and an industrial parking lot (bays and overhead lights in the background). I'll be using my p&s (SLR coming in a month or so :mrgreen:) and I will have a tripod. I've been doing some reading on the subject and have an idea of what I will be doing but still looking for more advice so any tips would be appreciated.

Shooting at night can be tough. Make sure you've got the white balance set properly, to avoid everything having a nasty yellow tint.

Also, if you can try and shoot earlier in the evening. Shots with a pure black sky (ie. no ambient light from the sun/moon) don't normally look so good.

Good luck!

If your camera has a delay timer before the shutter is triggered, I recommend using it. It helps prevent any fuzziness in the image if you have to use a long exposure. You can frame up the shot, adjust your settings, trigger the delay timer, step away from the camera and let it shoot. When I do night shooting I find this helps since even on a tripod, I don't always have the steadiest hands.

Please post your pics! WRX :wub: