• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Any Volvo enthusiasts here?

Or am I the only one?

About the car in my sig area:
1963 Volvo 122S, stripped interior, 31mm front swaybar, 27mm rear swaybar, Bilsteins, 41% stiffer and 2" lower springs, Delrin and urethane suspension bushings, -2.5? front camber, +0.2? front toe-out, 4.56:1 Pow-R-Lok LSD, fully balanced B18 bored to 1998cc (10.2:1 CR, matched set of forged pistons with graphite-coated skirts, reworked/balanced stock crank, dual valve springs, 45mm intake and 39mm exhaust valves, radically-reworked combustion chambers + intake and exhaust ports, crazy-ass 3/4 race spec camshaft, ARP head studs, Clifford exhaust header, 2.5" exhaust system w/turbo muffler, twin Mikuni PHH40 sidedraft carbs, Redline 20W50 oil, external oil cooler, supposedly puts out 185HP @ 7200RPM), Volvo 240 3-row radiator w/electric fan, 11lb. flywheel, stock Volvo M41 transmixer. It keeps up with most V8 cars from zero to sixty since it only weighs 2200lbs. and has 4.56:1 gears, but really excels at autocrossing and drifting.

Oh, I'm a new user at these forums, hi!

There are a handful of Volvo owners and Volvo fans on this forum. Just looking at my avatar should answer any questions about me. I'm obsessed with Volvos (to a level that disturbs most people).

I don't own one currently, but as soon as I'm out of school and have some spending money I plan on getting a 242GT project car (any 2-door 200 series would suffice though).

Your 122S sounds amazing though! Do you have any more pictures of it? I plan on doing similar things with my future 200 series project car (making it into a lightweight autocross style car).

I'm pretty close to buying a brand new 2.4i S40 :).

Always enjoyed Volvos. And don't listen to what UKD says :p :lol:

Yup a Volvo fan here! :woot:

My family's Volvo lineage goes back to a 240 DL wagon and a good ol' Datsun 8)
Then off to a 740 GL wagon and now a 850 GLT sedan (mum's), a 850 GLE wagon(dad's), and a S70 T5 SE (mine).

Hopefully later on for a pet project is to get a 1800 and restore it. For a performance project I would go along with Zenon by getting a 200 series, but I would go the way of moding it for rally purposes.

asthenia said:
I've got a pretty much stock '72 1800ES.

May I ask how long ago did you get that car? My friend's cousin was selling one a couple of years ago in Vancouver.

To Pork,

Damn nice car. Volvo's are definitely under rated, and another vote to seeing more pics of your car. :thumbsup:

I took some pictures of soe Volvos for Zenon a while ago, I plan to repost all my pics again soon in more manageable size in my Classic Car Show Photography thread, so watch out for that - I'll prolly get a million ccomplaints, but it's another attempt of mine to get people to talk :)

well my mom loves volvos, especially the one i just wrote off today :oops: (t-boned in the v70--fun :x )

CanBacon said:
May I ask how long ago did you get that car? My friend's cousin was selling one a couple of years ago in Vancouver.

Funny you should mention that. :D

I bought mine on eBay in May, 2002, from a guy in West Van. Drove it all the way home to Toronto, right through a freak blizzard in Calgary.

Mine's yellow. Could it be the same one? :p

Huge Volvo Fan here :thumbsup: ... btw just.. leopald, when did Volvo use boxer engines?... or is the engine just tilted the other way.... never knew there were so many volvo fans out there... my future volvo project would be a sleeper 850 T-5 :D

this car sounds like a real weapon. too bad i cant dl the video atm because my net capped to 28.8 connection. will dl 2morro when my net uncaps.

asthenia said:
Funny you should mention that. :D

I bought mine on eBay in May, 2002, from a guy in West Van. Drove it all the way home to Toronto, right through a freak blizzard in Calgary.

Mine's yellow. Could it be the same one? :p

No, sorry, his 1800 was blue. :x

You still need to take some pictures of your 1800 for us to see :)

Pork,

Nice pictures :thumbsup: As with asthenia, I think it's safe to say we need more pictures or your car as well. That video was nice, too bad that the camera was loose, but we did see a bit of your arms and helmet 8)

Andy,

If you look at the gasket header, the cylinders are aligned in a straight line. Where as a boxer engine will have half of the cylinders opposing the other half forming a nice box.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question366.htm
http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?120/Production.htm (for specific Volvo engine specs depending on year)

I thought that all Volvo's were made as an inline of some sort. If I'm wrong about the whole lot, please correct me. :)

CanBacon said:
I thought that all Volvo's were made as an inline of some sort. If I'm wrong about the whole lot, please correct me. :)
I believe you are correct there. I could be mistaken - I don't know much Volvo history pre-200 series -but I can't recall ever hearing of a boxer or V engine in a Volvo.

^but aren't boxer engines simple inline engines tilted sideways?... I didn't know it had to be opposing