Anyone have experience with micro 4/3rds format cameras?

i have to admit, i wouldn't mind a little larger eyecup... sadly, it seems there isn't a bigger one for the e-m10 yet (or amazon doesn't know about it).
another thing i have to admit: i just spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to assign the EVF/liveview switch to some fn button or have the option in the menu somewhere... i couldn't find the damn button because it's hidden behind say eyecup when you hold the camera normally. had to consult the manual, damn it :wall:
Yes, that is the backside of cramming lots of functionality into a small camera body, the buttons must be placed wherever there is space for them. That said, the larger EP-11 eyecup for the E-M5 might fit. Anyways, if you like the E-M10's view finder and ergonomics, don't try an E-M1... ;)

oh, i also for the sake of taking a selfie (yes, please shoot me, but a friend wanted to see haircut results) tried the wifi remote control from my mobile phone. i have to say i am very pleasantly surprised at how well that works :eek:

oh, i also for the sake of taking a selfie (yes, please shoot me, but a friend wanted to see haircut results) tried the wifi remote control from my mobile phone. i have to say i am very pleasantly surprised at how well that works :eek:
Yes, it's a very good solution to do a kind of tethered shooting if you're not a professional photographer. With the 12-50 in E-zoom mode i think you can even zoom it from the phone app, at least you can do that with the new 14-42mm EZ.

Also, what do you think about the E-M10 so far? Are there anything it is missing?

i haven't been able to use it as much as i'd hoped (that's hardly the cameras fault), but i'm more than happy with my decision to get it :)
what makes the biggest difference to my old PEN is of course the ridiculous improvement in ease of use and handling... two dials, 3 configurable buttons, the touch screen... literally everything is right there at the touch of a button. it's all so much easier and quicker... i'm way too impressed by the improvement compared to my old camera to be able to find anything it's missing :D

I ended up selling my Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 zoom for about $900 and picked up a slightly used Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 zoom for about $800. This lens is definitely hefty, all metal construction, larger and heavier than the lumix. And best of all it has the Olympus clutch mechanism to switch AF and MF and has distance markers to help set manual focus.

13478087323_470610e2a1_z.jpg

13478339354_e1c79d5f83_z.jpg

13477975385_3424a2b3e0_z.jpg

I ended up selling my Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 zoom for about $900 and picked up a slightly used Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 zoom for about $800. This lens is definitely hefty, all metal construction, larger and heavier than the lumix. And best of all it has the Olympus clutch mechanism to switch AF and MF and has distance markers to help set manual focus.
Sounds like a good deal, I'm considering that lens for my E-M1.

It sucks that there aren't more weather sealed lenses at the moment.

If I'm not mistaken the only ones so far are the Olys 12-40, 12-50, 60 macro and the Pany 12-35. I want a 17mm weather sealed pancake :(

I thought it came as the kit lens for the EM-1
If you buy the kit, yes...

It sucks that there aren't more weather sealed lenses at the moment.

If I'm not mistaken the only ones so far are the Olys 12-40, 12-50, 60 macro and the Pany 12-35. I want a 17mm weather sealed pancake :(
You can also add the Pany 35-100/2.8 and Olympus 40-150/2.8. There's also the coming Olympus 7-14/2.8 and 300/4, both of these will also be weather sealed.

Last edited:
There's also the coming Olympus 7-14/2.8 and 300/4, both of these will also be weather sealed.

both of which, according to 43rumors won't be available this year.

also, can i add i oh so strongly want that 7-14 oly... i just don't want to pay for it :|

both of which, according to 43rumors won't be available this year.

also, can i add i oh so strongly want that 7-14 oly... i just don't want to pay for it :|
Well that gives you some time to save up for it then... ;)

How come if you didn't buy the kit originally if you're consider the 12-40mm f2.8? Would have saved some money than buying them separately
I wasn't sure about it. I felt that it lacked somewhat in flexibility. I would easily sacrifice the constant f2.8 for longer reach, like the old FT 12-60 or the much cheaper FT 14-54. However, having tried it, I was convinced that 40mm was good enough for the long end.

A little comparison of the Olympus E-M10 and Sony A58.

We asked if the Olympus OM-D E-M10 could deliver Digital SLR quality, or whether the DSLR, with a larger sensor would deliver better image quality? However, we found that the Olympus OM-D E-M10 delivers better noise performance, as well as an extended ISO range compared to the Digital SLR, whilst also delivering sharp detailed images. The Olympus OM-D E-M10 is capable of delivering detailed images, even as the ISO setting is increased, and despite having a 16 megapixel sensor, compared to the 20 megapixel sensor in the DSLR, is actually able to deliver more detail when using high ISO settings due to the excellent image processing of the Olympus camera along with great performance from the kit lens.

have to come back today to say thank you again for recommending the 12-50 kit lens!
boy that thing is great, 12mm is ridiculously wide, 50mm gets me close enough to about 90% of the stuff i want to shoot most of the time... and it comes with that macro mode. oh boy. i always considered that a little toy on the side, a tiny little extra thing to play around with... but i never expected it to work that well :eek: took this with about 7 or 8 cm of air left between the ladybug and the lens, crazy :D

P4190049.jpg by max-t-d, on Flickr

Tamron just announced their first mFT-lens: The 14-150mm f3.5-5.8 Di lll.
Bildschirmfoto2014-06-19um102752_zps04fa2af9.png

As some of you may notice the development of this lens was announced already back in January 2013, but some things changed since then. This lens originally had VC, Tamron's optical image stabilization, now that Panasonic is starting to phase in sensor based image stabilization (in addition to all Olympus mFT-cameras) they decided to omit VC from it to get the price lower. The launch price is 65000 yen, which converts to $640 or ?470, if that price turns out to be right then it's about the same as the $600 Olympus 14-150, or the $630 Panasonic 14-140, though not as cheap as the old, discontinued Panasonic 14-140.

Edit: The originally quoted price was wrong, this is the correct "suggested retail price", which means it will get cheaper than that eventually.

Last edited:
if that price turns out anywhere close to that in europe and the lens is actually usable, that is quite tempting :think:

NOPE!
June 19, 2014, Commack, New York - Tamron USA, Inc. announced the price and delivery of its first All-In-One? high power zoom lens designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras. The Tamron 14-150mm Di III (model C001) will be available in the USA starting June 26, 2014 at $589.

source: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...ource=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_2

Last edited:
Yes, the price seems to be the same as similar mFT-lenses. That said, being a metal construction it looks much better built than the Olympus 14-150mm, and if it's optically better then it looks like a good deal. That being said, the price needs to come down first for it to be a real good deal, at $100-$150 less it would be a very good deal.

Still, good to see more third party manufacturers launching mFT-products with full electronic support (aperture and AF), not just "dumb" (manual focus, manual aperture) lenses, even though many of them are optically excellent.

On other news, Olympus just posted another patent: 12-50mm f2.8-4
Bildschirmfoto2014-06-11um094149_zps97146bab.png

My memo to Olympus: MAKE THIS, NOW!

Last edited: