Anyone have experience with micro 4/3rds format cameras?

Wow... You found the way out of the political bantering section....? :p
Summer vacation. Gets me away from video, cause when I did video 12 hours a day, I sort of lost motivation to do stills. :p

By the way, the 45/1,8 has a traditional "bucket-style" lens hood, so no Leica-look there...

815q1MbrpML._AA1500_.jpg
It's Panasonic who use Leica for optical design. Olympus use Olympus. There's a reason why lots of people in the old days talked about the "holy trinity" of Nikkor, Zuiko and Leitz. Which is weird cause Zeiss was/is just as excellent.

I used the E-P3 and the two lower end model on Friday evening for a while. It's looking pretty impressive. I'm for the first time in a long time very interested in them. It's not just impressive on the performance front, but also for its feel and stuff. I should be able to use the E-P3 for a longer period by the end of next week.

Just reserved a brand-new M. Zuiko 40-150mm for $149 at my local Micro Center; picking it up this evening. The plastic lens mount has worried me, but since this one has a warranty, and combined with that huge discount, I'm willing to take the risk.

I got it my E-PL2 with the two kit lens, so with the 40-150mm. I haven't used it much since then (the lens) but the plastic lens doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Just reserved a brand-new M. Zuiko 40-150mm for $149 at my local Micro Center; picking it up this evening. The plastic lens mount has worried me, but since this one has a warranty, and combined with that huge discount, I'm willing to take the risk.
My old 14-42 has a plastic mount, and it's been in daily use with me (first on my E-400, then on a mate's E-620) for years. Plastic mounts isn't something to fear, really. They do the job, as long as you don't spend your days trying to rip the lens off the camera..

Tempting, though I still really like the E-PL2 / Panny 20mm f/1.7 combo. I went out yesterday night and shot some really nice pictures, all mostly at ISO 1250. It's far from noise free, but I was able to shoot handheld and the results as really good :)

This is intriguing for MFTs users

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1108/11082615panasonic14-42Xpreview.asp

Panasonic launches Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 OIS pancake

14-42x_side-001.jpg
14-42x_extended-001.jpg

SECAUCUS, NJ (August 26, 2011) ?Panasonic today announces a newly designed and innovative LUMIX G ?X? lens that retracts to help minimize its size, without compromising its focal length or image quality. Panasonic?s new premium LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./ POWER O.I.S. (H-PS14042) lens, will be available with the company?s smallest and lightest compact system camera as a lens kit option in the DMC-GF3X model. With electric-powered zoom operation, the retractable Power Zoom H-PS14042 lens is extremely compact, approximately 26.8mm in length, and weighs approximately 3.35oz, offering ultra-high portability.

Panasonic?s new premium LUMIX ?X? Series of lenses, including the LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./ POWER O.I.S., offers a versatile zoom range of 14-42mm (35mm camera equivalent: 28-84mm) suitable for a wide range of scenes, such as dynamic landscape to portrait. Also announced today is another LUMIX X lens, the LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 45-175mm/F4.0-5.6 ASPH./POWER O.I.S. Crystallizing Panasonic's optical technologies, the LUMIX X lenses feature superb image rendering for lifelike textures, crisp edge-to-edge contrast, a unique Nano Surface Coating to help minimize ghosts and flaring in natural settings with remarkable transparency.

I guess it helps make the m4/3 offerings that bit more compact, which is nice since kit lenses haven't exactly been tiny so far...

I did read a quick review of it though and it seems that it's optically a bit worse than the 14-42 full size kit lens that it replaces.

I'll still keep the 20mm f/1.7 as my everyday lens :p

I guess it helps make the m4/3 offerings that bit more compact, which is nice since kit lenses haven't exactly been tiny so far...

I did read a quick review of it though and it seems that it's optically a bit worse than the 14-42 full size kit lens that it replaces.

Not really a surprise I reckon.

You could still get a used ZD 14-54mm f2,8-3,5II That should work reasonably well on ?4/3 with the adapter (Note, must be the mkII version, as the old one didn't really work with CDAF)

You, sir, are psychic. I just bought exactly that for a trip I'm taking next week. We'll see how much I like or dislike it.

How's the 14-54/2,8-3,5 been...? Pleased with the results on mFT? How is the AF-performance?

You might have been a little bit quick on the trigger though, strong rumors suggests that a fast standard zoom from Olympus is just around the corner. Most likely an mFT version of the 12-60mm f2,8-4.

Yeah, I saw that; for the time being I'll console myself with the money I've saved by not being an early adopter of this new lens. AF speed of the 14-54 feels about equal to slightly slower than the original 14-42 kit lens, and the focusing motor is quite noisy. I like the heft and the feel of its solidity, but I'm giving it another month to get used to it, as thus far I haven't really used the middle focal lengths. I'd probably be fine with two primes instead (14 or 12, and the 45).

Yeah, I saw that; for the time being I'll console myself with the money I've saved by not being an early adopter of this new lens. AF speed of the 14-54 feels about equal to slightly slower than the original 14-42 kit lens, and the focusing motor is quite noisy. I like the heft and the feel of its solidity, but I'm giving it another month to get used to it, as thus far I haven't really used the middle focal lengths. I'd probably be fine with two primes instead (14 or 12, and the 45).
If this lens materializes (12 or 14-something and starting at least at f2,8), and the price is reasonable, I'll put my money where my mouth is and buy an E-P3 with said lens right away...

I ended up selling my 14-54 II; in the end I couldn't live with the bulk, and I used the wide end far more than I did the long end, so most of it was wasted. Took a net loss of $35 on the transaction, but for what was effectively a one-month rental, it's not too bad.

If this lens materializes (12 or 14-something and starting at least at f2,8), and the price is reasonable, I'll put my money where my mouth is and buy an E-P3 with said lens right away...

Likewise. Once that combo is available as a kit, I'm pouncing on it.

I ended up selling my 14-54 II; in the end I couldn't live with the bulk, and I used the wide end far more than I did the long end, so most of it was wasted. Took a net loss of $35 on the transaction, but for what was effectively a one-month rental, it's not too bad.

Likewise. Once that combo is available as a kit, I'm pouncing on it.
Cue dissappointment... It's another kit-zoom, and it's a 12-50mm f3,5-6,3, with power zoom, obviously aimed at video, with an estimated street price of $499 (which usually translates to about $430-460 in the shops). On the other hand it's the fist fully weather sealed ?4/3 lens, incorporating full internal zooming and focusing with a construction borrowed from the 4/3 Super High Grade series of lenses. Baring in mind there's no weather sealed ?4/3 camera body, there is obviously some more in the making.

EZ-M12-50mm_BLK_Hood_EZ.jpg

Yeah, that was a letdown. I have a Panasonic 14mm prime in the mail, so it, my other primes, and the 40-150 zoom should be fine for now.